Blowout Cards Forums
Powerful Savings

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #176 (permalink)

thank you for sharing. the age and cracking, even if only a couple spots, worries me. I think the poker case has alleviated my problems for now. If I ever get that blue set done I'll go through the trouble of the 2.5" silver dollar holders and keep it in a long row box. The rest can just be stuck in my cases. Well, the rest of the "good" ones that is. Sooooo many greys lol

Keep me updated though. May still choose to go that route since I did get a couple binders initially. I'll keep looking for other pog/silver dollar/pokership holders.

j
jasoncam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:04 PM   #177 (permalink)

Figured I'd give this thread a boost since supply has dried up of late.

Will make my final plea here. If you own any of the following blues (regular or foil), and are interested in selling them for a stupid price private message me. At this point I imagine only one or two people will ever eventually put together a complete blue set, and I want to be one of them. So if you're sitting on an Anakin or other below and want to move it, message me:

Anakin
IG-88
Wicket
Imperial Guard
Chancellor Palpatine

(edit: Adding Ugnaught foil to the list)

There are other blues I could use too that I consider shorter prints, but not the "big five" as mentioned by Topps. Let's start here.

thanks!
Jason

Last edited by jasoncam; 10-23-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #178 (permalink)

Sent you a PM, Jason about set building Included a link in there with a seller who briefly had a Chancellor Palpatine listed. Could always PM seller and see if they still have it. The blue starfield SPs sure do seem rare... all ~10-15 of them lol. Yeah, not looking good at this point for set builders but best of luck.

I FINALLY got most of my discs sorted so if anyone else wants to trade or has extra black-pattern foils/clear-foil/patterns for sale/trade, PLMK. Also looking for Golds that I don't have. Going to put a couple extra sets into binder+pages if anyone is interested.

The ultra Ultra-Rares sure seem limited too which is understandable considering the odds listed on a $10 starter. Still yet to see an Imperial Red but did find a Slave-1 of which I was pretty excited to snipe ...here's a pic that shows it a bit better than the checklist:

Now to find a battle-damage and go for the full rainbow,
BHotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #179 (permalink)

You are lucky they listed that Slave poorly I didn't even see it up. Great price imo (though I imagine they will all settle there once more hit the market). Currently own a couple battle damaged here that I paid up for just to have them.

Just waiting on the gold Leia to hit one of these days.

j
Old 10-23-2015, 05:49 PM   #180 (permalink)

Nice disk!

Why do the rare disks/cards always look the coolest? Or is it just a psychological thing?
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:06 PM   #181 (permalink)

Thanks Yeah, I agree the rare stuff usually looks coolest, the battle-damage/etc. unique foiling definitely adds to the disc.

The auction was up for ~15minutes. Odd thing was I was running a generic search of "star wars connexions" and it popped up even with it being worded bad so it was visible for a brief time. It was just good timing for myself as I had downtime & happened to be running searches at 3 in the afternoon.

I've only seen three battle-damage on eBay. Was outbid on the Luke , didn't send a BO on the Han and the Darth seller seems to want a ton. So that's pretty cool if you already have a couple, Jason. I agree you'd think more should be popping up but starting to think we're not going to see THAT many. Will be interesting to see what Wave 2 brings in December.

And yeah a gold Leia would be bonkers... solid gold... bikini...
Old 10-23-2015, 06:15 PM   #182 (permalink)

The darth seller is a good guy, just unrealistic in expectations. Might get lucky I guess. He knows where my offer is, and I imagine he will eventually sell to me or keep it.

I figure 15 of each battle damaged and slave means you're going to have 90 of these super ultra rares out there. And given this is less collectible than cardboard, $100 seems fair in the long run. But the full blue set isn't even out there yet for all I know, so I guess you could end up seeing only 5 of each in circulation.

Still on fence here for wave 2. This wave 1 was such a pain in the ass I don't think I can put myself through it all again to do the blues the next time.

Good catch on the Slave. I certainly don't search near as often as I used to on them. Maybe a good solid look once or twice a day, if that. I've moved on to other star wars collectibles

j
Old 10-23-2015, 06:37 PM   #183 (permalink)

Is there a market for unopened packs on these?

I tried searching ebay but didn't find much. is there just no market for them or am I missing them?
kinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:43 PM   #184 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinar View Post
Is there a market for unopened packs on these?

I tried searching ebay but didn't find much. is there just no market for them or am I missing them?
are you talking about the promo packs? or just regular starter kits and booster packs?

for promo packs, there is a market. I have pulled back from buying them so it's a bit soft. Not to mention there aren't that many these days offered (more will come out in November). Promo packs sell from $3 to $5 depending on the quantity. Some single packs go for $5 to $10 when there is only one offered and someone really really wants one. Large lots I was paying up to $5 per pack. Most fall in the $4 range.

For the others, you can just order them online at Walmart.com, so any for sale are likely ones that were, uhhh, "lifted" by employees for sale. Or folks are too lazy to go to the website and order them.

j
Old 10-23-2015, 06:48 PM   #185 (permalink)

Yeah... this was a retail release. For "normal" packs there is no secondary market. Everyone just goes to Walmart.com. That might change once we get beyond the wave 1 stock, but for now they seemed to produce a quantity that exceeds the demand that would drive up prices.

Promo packs probably have the best opportunity to increase in price, but again, this is a game intended for kids that also happens to be a collectable. There is more of this out there than the normal hobby card set. So keep your $$$$ aspirations in check, and just enjoy a cool product that currently is affordable to collect (not flip).
Old 10-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #186 (permalink)

Incidentally, if you really want to buy these disks to collect it appears Walmart lifted the 3 pack limit online, and you can now order 12 (or more!). My guess is they are blowing out overstock prior to the new release. The next step is probably a price slash.

I don't think this product has legs, but it is really cool. So, you might want to buy it up now while you have the chance to buy multiple packs online.

Attached Thumbnails
Topps Star Wars Galactic Connexions Trading Disks-connexions.jpg  
Old 10-23-2015, 08:04 PM   #187 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncam View Post
The darth seller is a good guy, just unrealistic in expectations. Might get lucky I guess. He knows where my offer is, and I imagine he will eventually sell to me or keep it.

I figure 15 of each battle damaged and slave means you're going to have 90 of these super ultra rares out there. And given this is less collectible than cardboard, $100 seems fair in the long run. But the full blue set isn't even out there yet for all I know, so I guess you could end up seeing only 5 of each in circulation.

Still on fence here for wave 2. This wave 1 was such a pain in the ass I don't think I can put myself through it all again to do the blues the next time.

Good catch on the Slave. I certainly don't search near as often as I used to on them. Maybe a good solid look once or twice a day, if that. I've moved on to other star wars collectibles

j
There can't actually be 15 of each of the ultra ultra-rares, right? The math doesn't look right at all even with the boosters. We know there's 5 Gold Leias with likely just one in starfield packs (maybe one in boosters...conflicting info?).
Rough starter odds are:
Gold Leia 1:13,000 (3-4 TOTAL)
Battle Damage 1:4,000 (5 different characters)
Slave 1:8,000 (2 different characters)
Imperial 1:24,000 (1 different characters)

So battle damage, slave, and imperial are all produced identical or very close to identical #s. My quick math then says there's about 4 of each in starters and likely 2-4 in boosters. That means there's 10 or less of each. My guess is that Topps Facebook responded with a quick estimate/# (like they did with starfields) or maybe meant ~15-20 total of each type (including all the characters).

Nevertheless, yeah they're rare and unless walmart.com starts removing the buying restriction (3 per purchase) or we see a mad rush of demand that empties the reserve, we aren't going to see many more ultra-rares from this set since there are supposedly no more shipments coming to stores.

Also for the record, I still say these things are way more rare than a hobby card set. . I guess if you consider a starter equivalent to a hobby box, ok, sure. But most hobby boxes cost north of $60 so in those terms these are definitely more rare when you look at $10 starters as "packs" and not boxes. The underlying issue is demand. It's there but yeah hasn't exploded. There's still time and supply is definitely drying up on eBay so time will tell.

Last edited by BHotz; 10-23-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #188 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
Incidentally, if you really want to buy these disks to collect it appears Walmart lifted the 3 pack limit online, and you can now order 12 (or more!). My guess is they are blowing out overstock prior to the new release. The next step is probably a price slash.

I don't think this product has legs, but it is really cool. So, you might want to buy it up now while you have the chance to buy multiple packs online.
Ha, awesome, thanks! Lol, I so would have been on that (and probably lots of others too) for the first couple weeks of release when reds/greens were going for nearly $10. But, now, not sure as I have my hand in other cookie jars too. Still, good to know and always good to have options that don't involve 4 trips of walmart to get 12 starters.

Last edited by BHotz; 10-23-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:16 PM   #189 (permalink)

Quote:
Here is "the list" of ones I need to complete my set. If you have any of these, congratulations

Regular Blue
Anakin (confirmed exists as per posts on this forum)
Jabba the Hut
Scout Trooper
Imperial Royal Guard
Wicket
Ugnaught
Chancellor Palpatine

Blue Foil
Anakin
Jango Fett
Tusken Raider
Imperial Royal Guard
IG-88
Wicket
Ugnaught
Chancellor Palpatine

Similar lists. Some of those that I've only been able to find one of I have none of in the other style (regular vs foil).

As near as I can tell, none of those other than Anakin have ever been seen or listed on eBay.

If you have any and want to help a poor ol' guy like myself out in completing a set, I'll make you a more than fair offer.

Thanks! Happy hunting!
Jason
Akbar not on list? Why is this auction so high then?

Galactic Connexions Blue Starfield Exclusive Admiral Ackbar | eBay
Old 10-23-2015, 08:44 PM   #190 (permalink)

I was just going off the interview Topps said about being 15 or so of each one. I didn't even bother to run the math on them like I did for blues and gold/silver.

The sets of some of the variations and ultra rares are certainly less than cardboard and hobby sets, but there is way less demand for these. Thus I think it evens out. I've been pretty right so far on what the ultra rare reds and the like should go for. The $100 seems about right for the battle damaged and slave variations. I paid more for the battle damaged. But in reality there are only two or three of us that consistently keep the prices high on some of them. I noticed a big drop off in promo pack prices the second I stopped buying them all. Now they sit untouched.

j
Old 10-23-2015, 08:46 PM   #191 (permalink)

Quote:
Akbar not on list? Why is this auction so high then?

Galactic Connexions Blue Starfield Exclusive Admiral Ackbar | eBay
The Ackbar, while not an "official five" short print, does appear to me at least to be a shorter run than the others. In my experience, the blues fall into three categories: common, a short print (of which there are probably 10 to 15 or so in each set of blue), and then the five short prints as noted by Topps.

Again though, seems like when I finally fine one that isn't deemed a true short print, a couple others pop up. Like Zam. Searched forever. Finally got one. And then before I knew it, had 4 more.

Still reeks of bad distribution.

j
Old 10-23-2015, 09:00 PM   #192 (permalink)

What are the "5" official short prints that Topps acknowledged?
Old 10-24-2015, 12:07 AM   #193 (permalink)

Does anyone know the breakdown by color on production of the SDCC promo First Order Stormtrooper disc? I know for sure that there were grey, clear, black, green, red, and gold versions given out (250 total) with gold being the rarest (5?) but am hoping that someone has heard the exact numbers.
PoPCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:32 AM   #194 (permalink)

Quote:
What are the "5" official short prints that Topps acknowledged?
These five I listed earlier:

Anakin
IG-88
Wicket
Imperial Guard
Chancellor Palpatine

It's not a secret, I think they even publicly mentioned it on their facebook star wars page.

Willing to pay a pretty penny for any of those five. I figure eventually those that have one of these will realize it's near impossible to put the set together and will want to move on... and hopefully sell to me I can guarantee I'm offering way more than what they will ever truly sell for lol

Jason
Old 10-24-2015, 10:33 AM   #195 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post
Does anyone know the breakdown by color on production of the SDCC promo First Order Stormtrooper disc? I know for sure that there were grey, clear, black, green, red, and gold versions given out (250 total) with gold being the rarest (5?) but am hoping that someone has heard the exact numbers.
Sorry only know the five gold number like you. Perhaps pester topps on their star wars page until they give you an answer? Might take a couple tries to get an answer, but you eventually will.

j
Old 10-24-2015, 09:20 PM   #196 (permalink)

Did you message that seller on eBay about the Chancellor Palpatine, Jason? Worth a shot especially if you are going to go high on your offer.

And yeah, I haven't seen any specific #s on the SDCC Trooper Discs other than the ~250 total. My guess is the red/green/silver/gold are similar rarities as they are in the regular set. I know there were a handful listed back in July on eBay and a few more in last couple months.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:36 AM   #197 (permalink)

On the Topps Star Wars page, I asked this on a leia 14kt gold disc post -->
"Anyway we can get exact or real close production # of battle-damage, slave 1, and imperial? Going by pack odds and Leia gold disc info it seems like each specific disc from those 3 should be between 5-10 so nearly as rare as the Leia gold disc?"

And Topps Brand Manager responded with -->
"You are very close on all three of those. Yes, they are almost as rare as the 14kt Leia disc."

So from that response and the pack odds, sure looks like battle-damage/slave1/imperial are all each ~10 total (seems slightly under) in existence which is damn rare. Of course that doesn't mean they are worth all the monies but they will hold quite a premium especially if these pick up more in popularity.

Last edited by BHotz; 10-26-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:04 PM   #198 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHotz View Post
On the Topps Star Wars page, I asked this on a leia 14kt gold disc post -->
"Anyway we can get exact or real close production # of battle-damage, slave 1, and imperial? Going by pack odds and Leia gold disc info it seems like each specific disc from those 3 should be between 5-10 so nearly as rare as the Leia gold disc?"

And Topps Brand Manager responded with -->
"You are very close on all three of those. Yes, they are almost as rare as the 14kt Leia disc."

So from that response and the pack odds, sure looks like battle-damage/slave1/imperial are all each ~10 total (seems slightly under) in existence which is damn rare. Of course that doesn't mean they are worth all the monies but they will hold quite a premium especially if these pick up more in popularity.
pretty easy to just do the math for the whole population.

promo packs: 225,922 total regular discs, and 225,922 blues (foil & regular)
booster packs: 864,000 discs (would include ultra rares in this number)
starter kits: 341,250 (this number excludes ultra rares as you are guaranteed one per kit, so 26,250 kits x 13 discs, plus 1 ultra rare)

So that's your total population of discs:

1,431,172 discs.

Now to put this in perspective, the ratio seems to be as follows. You get half as many foil of a common, and half as many pattern as you do foil. This seems pretty consistent across the set from what I've opened.

Therefore, you have a 50% chance of getting grey, 33% chance of getting black, and 17% chance of getting clear.

And then of course the subsets of this for the foil & pattern.

Using rough numbers and not accounting for the ultra rares, that means the following:

1,431,172 x 50% = 715,586 grey of any type. 357,793 regular grey, 236, 143 foil grey, and 121,649 pattern.

For black using similar math:

472,286 black of any type. 236,143 regular, 155,854 foil, 80,288 pattern

Clears:

243,299 clear of any type. 121,649 regular, 80,288 foil, 41,360 pattern.

Let's go deeper. They say no short prints (and the more I've purchased, the more there doesn't truly seem to be any). So you can divide all those out by 75 to get the set totals.

They would be as follows:

grey common sets: 4,770
grey foil sets: 3,148
grey pattern sets: 1,621
black common sets: 3,148
black foil sets: 2,078
black pattern sets: 1,070
clear common sets: 1,621
clear foil sets: 1,070
clear pattern sets: 551

now huge disclaimer on this, is that it doesn't account for any ultra rares, the super ultras (battle, slave, etc) that are found in the booster packs. You can account for the starter kits because you only multiply out by 13, as opposed by 14, since you are guaranteed an ultra rare (though I guess possible they threw in a super ultra in those, no clue, but it wouldn't differ by much).

That's why I went for the clear foil & pattern sets. There aren't that many to go around.

So how about gold, silver, red, green?

You can do some math on that as well.

We know they aren't found in the promo packs. So that leaves you with a guaranteed one in the starter kids, and we know they made 26,250 of those. So there's that number. You can then just use the odds on the booster packs as given to get an idea of how many are out there.

Here are the stated odds on those cribbed from someone earlier in this thread:

Slime Green and Lightsaber Red-- 1:8
Death Star Silver and Golds -- 1:24
Battle Damaged-- 1:10,845
Slave 1-- 1:21,690
Imperial Red -- 1:67,777

so 172,800 booster packs. Just dividing out straight odds on those (not accounting for the fact that if you get a red, it messes with your chance to get a silver, etc):

172,800/8: 21,600 reds & greens, likely even number
172,800/14: 12,342 gold & silvers, also likely split evenly
172,800/10,845: 15 battle damaged
172,800/21/690: 8 slave 1
172,800/67,777: 2 1/2 imperial red (yes, half haha)

Now you have to add back in the 26,250 that are guaranteed in the starter pack.

No idea what the composition of that is, whether you have shots at the battle damaged, imperial red, and slave. I assume so, given doesn't make sense the odds for imperial red come out to nearly exactly 2.5.

Really depends on the mix of the starter packs. The battle damaged and slave appear to be much rarer than the initial statement of 15 or so. Probably only 5 or so of each like you said, if that.

I'm sure someone will find something wrong with my math, as I just quickly put it out there. Have fun parsing through it

If anyone wants to check it, they did one 14k disc in the promo, 2 in the starter kits, and 2 in the booster packs... that's how you can get the production numbers based on the Leia odds.

Jason
Old 10-26-2015, 07:00 PM   #199 (permalink)

Quote:
pretty easy to just do the math for the whole population.

clear pattern sets: 551

now huge disclaimer on this, is that it doesn't account for any ultra rares, the super ultras (battle, slave, etc) that are found in the booster packs. You can account for the starter kits because you only multiply out by 13, as opposed by 14, since you are guaranteed an ultra rare (though I guess possible they threw in a super ultra in those, no clue, but it wouldn't differ by much).

172,800/8: 21,600 reds & greens, likely even number

Jason
Thanks for doing the math! I think you are close. One thing though is that the stated odds on the 5 packs and starter sets are the same for the 3 following variations: clear pattern foils, reds, and greens. So there should be the same total number sets of each (barring a shortprint in one or more of the variations).

If you divide your 21600 green/red figure by 75 characters you get 288 possible sets.

This might be covered in your disclaimer, but it leads me to believe either your math is wrong for the clear pattern foils (551 sets), or the reds/greens.

If clear pattern foil math is correct then we need to double your green/red numbers... which might cause an increase to the other variations as well.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:14 PM   #200 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for doing the math! I think you are close. One thing though is that the stated odds on the 5 packs and starter sets are the same for the 3 following variations: clear pattern foils, reds, and greens. So there should be the same total number sets of each (barring a shortprint in one or more of the variations).

If you divide your 21600 green/red figure by 75 characters you get 288 possible sets.

This might be covered in your disclaimer, but it leads me to believe either your math is wrong for the clear pattern foils (551 sets), or the reds/greens.

If clear pattern foil math is correct then we need to double your green/red numbers... which might cause an increase to the other variations as well.
I'm not so sure about the odds then.

I've opened enough product, and Topps has even confirmed, that you basically get half of each on down. So for every 3 greys you get 2 blacks and 1 clear. And same on down for the subsets for the foil and pattern.

So I'd take the total population stuff more as gospel. The reds/greens/golds/silvers is way more subjective. The 21,600 number is just from rough odds given the numbers I had cribbed from earlier in the thread for the booster packs... don't forget to add on top of that the 26,250 ultra rares guaranteed in the starter packs.

Also regarding the odds, I've opened a few booster packs, and the 1:8 or whatever it is doesn't seem even close. I received many reds/greens. Sometimes I'd have a hit on every booster but a couple. So maybe a poor distribution angle again, or more likely Topps playing cute with the numbers on those so folks feel rewarded.

The Leia stuff they have to keep on the up & up since it's stated odds on what amounts to a lottery (and I have it in writing from them there are only 5, and how many were inserted in each type of pack)... the reds and stuff, not so much.

I'd suggest it's about the same difficulty in putting together a red or green set as it is to put together a clear pattern... maybe a little harder since they don't sell them as often on eBay.

The silvers and golds are a nice low population set to put together too (not to mention just really nice in hand). But sellers still unrealistic with their ask prices.

j