Blowout Cards Forums
Breakers

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2015, 07:21 PM   #201 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
Thanks for doing the math! I think you are close. One thing though is that the stated odds on the 5 packs and starter sets are the same for the 3 following variations: clear pattern foils, reds, and greens. So there should be the same total number sets of each (barring a shortprint in one or more of the variations).

If you divide your 21600 green/red figure by 75 characters you get 288 possible sets.

This might be covered in your disclaimer, but it leads me to believe either your math is wrong for the clear pattern foils (551 sets), or the reds/greens.

If clear pattern foil math is correct then we need to double your green/red numbers... which might cause an increase to the other variations as well.
reread this and when you add on top the additional guaranteed ultra rares in the starter kits (26,250) the math pretty much checks out. From the starter kits I've opened, the odds hold up a little better there as you're way more likely to get a red/green as opposed to a silver/gold. That right there doubles up your number of reds/greens to get you to the number you were looking for.

j
jasoncam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:48 PM   #202 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncam View Post
reread this and when you add on top the additional guaranteed ultra rares in the starter kits (26,250) the math pretty much checks out. From the starter kits I've opened, the odds hold up a little better there as you're way more likely to get a red/green as opposed to a silver/gold. That right there doubles up your number of reds/greens to get you to the number you were looking for.

j
Right... so like 550ish red and green sets. Pretty rare for a mass produced game, but not that rare from a card collector standpoint..

Speaking of the game part of this... If you break it down as a game for kids, it basically comes down to a really expensive game of dominoes. For $10, a kid gets a 14 disk start set that will allow you and your brother to make 7 moves each (that is assuming all the disks can be played).

It seems like a really clunky game, and that's why I think it isn't selling very well (even given the smallish print run when you factor in 4700 Walmart stores and online), and won't last very long. If Walmart.com is still sitting on a lot of these wave 1 sets nearly 2 months into release, I can't see them ordering Wave 2, 3, etc too heavily. If Wave 2 is produced in lower amounts than Wave 1, then that might be the rarer and more collectible set going forward.

Last edited by finfangfan; 10-26-2015 at 07:52 PM. Reason: added an "and"
finfangfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:24 PM   #203 (permalink)

Wave 2 will be same print run as wave 1, confirmed by Topps. I imagine they will run out of people anyways. They are at least putting vehicles in wave 2, so that will be kind of cool. They really stretched on who to include in wave 1 as it is. I'm guessing you'll start to see things like the original obi-wan (which I would've gone with in the first place), return of the jedi Luke, etc. I think they missed the mark by not adding more "stats" other than five of each attribute, maybe 10 instead, and then making the ultra rares be more powerful. Probably would've appealed more to older gamers anyways.

And I don't think there will be a wave 3. Barring these REALLY taking off in some way (either in value, or if the game is a hit). Reviews I have read are positive for the game, but I have no plans on trying it.

I just like the quality, minus scratches, of them. There is even metal in each chip, which I found out accidentally.

In reality from the auctions I've come across, there are very very small handful of collectors I am competing against for the short prints and those inserts. Seriously, maybe only 3 to 5 of us that are serious about going for them. That's why they have the value that they do (for now).

Still on the hunt for my unicorns. Would love to get those SPs.

And I'd love for walmart to be sitting on these and then just blow them out in a nice sale. Thanks for the headsup on the increase in number you can order online. Sadly I only do the blues for the moment. Maybe for wave 2 they will let you order more quantity since if I do it I'll go for the clears again.

Jason
Old 10-26-2015, 08:50 PM   #204 (permalink)

Are we sure none of the Wave 1 characters will make it to Wave 2 (with a new sticker back)? They touted "hundreds" of variations in their initial sales pitch, so you would think there plan was to keep producing some of the characters into follow-up waves.

They also said there would be a new disk color in Wave 2, so it will be interesting to see if that is a SSP color (like Slave 1 and battle-damaged), or a more common color variation (like Wave 1's reds/greens). If the latter, purple would be cool!

As far as the reviews of the game aspect of this set, fwiw there is only 1 review on Walmart.com for the starter packs (a 4/5 star), and 2 reviews for the multi-packs (totaling 3 stars).

I am thinking maybe Walmart wasn't the best match for this set. It just doesn't seem to be selling through at a quick enough rate given how little we believe was produced. The same 3 starter packs have been sitting at my Walmart for weeks. I think I was the only guy buying the stuff here!
Old 10-26-2015, 08:58 PM   #205 (permalink)

Incidentally, the mail away drawing to win disks from Topps (per the back of the starter package) has to be postmarked by 10/28/15 (two days away). They seem to imply that you could get a Gold Leia (the "any of the disks above" line of the legalese), so it might be worth a shot. I never do those things though. If anyone wants the information, I will post a photo of the package back.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:02 PM   #206 (permalink)

No idea on who is in wave 2 other than adding vehicles. But if anything I'd want to see Obi Wan from episode 4 more than a random clone droid thing.

You can probably get the color by looking at their topps card set (Journey To Star Wars or something like that). The lightsaber red and slime green were inserts in those. I believe there is indeed a purple, and an orange. They seem to be just taking their cues from that set (as evidenced also by the blue starfield versions they have too in the card set).

If it's along the lines of the reds/greens ratio of inserts, I don't have interest. But hey, at least the prices are finally getting more reasonable on the lightsaber and slime green. By my math though, either the clear patterns are underpriced, or the reds/greens are still a bit high.

My Walmart doesn't have the starter kits, but did have the booster packs last I checked, but that was a month ago. Agree on them being a bad match. Would've done better at a Toys R Us. Or at least have them in the darned aisle with star wars, and not in the crappy section they have for baseball cards that is hidden near the front somewhere (at least at mine).

The reviews I have seen were on the facebook page and from my interaction with a few folks I've traded with or talked too while collecting these. Those that have played it seem to enjoy it... they haven't outright said it sucked, so that's nice

I think we all know it's just a niche product at this point. Holding out some hope that the re-support event in November, whatever that is, and then launch of wave 2 gives us some hope. What would be nice is if they sold out of wave 1. Then people would have no choice but to buy on the secondary market. Why buy on eBay unless you're going for blues or the very rare battle damaged when you can still buy all the starter kits you need and get a guaranteed ultra rare at walmart.com?

j
Old 10-26-2015, 09:03 PM   #207 (permalink)

Quote:
Incidentally, the mail away drawing to win disks from Topps (per the back of the starter package) has to be postmarked by 10/28/15 (two days away). They seem to imply that you could get a Gold Leia (the "any of the disks above" line of the legalese), so it might be worth a shot. I never do those things though. If anyone wants the information, I will post a photo of the package back.
sure, post it.

I can't imagine you can win a Leia. They've said 5 made. 1 in promo, 2 in booster, 2 in starter. Imagine if a 6th one magically appeared haha. But hey, it IS Topps after all.

j
Old 10-26-2015, 09:04 PM   #208 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncam View Post
pretty easy to just do the math for the whole population.

promo packs: 225,922 total regular discs, and 225,922 blues (foil & regular)
booster packs: 864,000 discs (would include ultra rares in this number)
starter kits: 341,250 (this number excludes ultra rares as you are guaranteed one per kit, so 26,250 kits x 13 discs, plus 1 ultra rare)

So that's your total population of discs:

1,431,172 discs.

Now to put this in perspective, the ratio seems to be as follows. You get half as many foil of a common, and half as many pattern as you do foil. This seems pretty consistent across the set from what I've opened.

Therefore, you have a 50% chance of getting grey, 33% chance of getting black, and 17% chance of getting clear.

And then of course the subsets of this for the foil & pattern.

Using rough numbers and not accounting for the ultra rares, that means the following:

1,431,172 x 50% = 715,586 grey of any type. 357,793 regular grey, 236, 143 foil grey, and 121,649 pattern.

For black using similar math:

472,286 black of any type. 236,143 regular, 155,854 foil, 80,288 pattern

Clears:

243,299 clear of any type. 121,649 regular, 80,288 foil, 41,360 pattern.

Let's go deeper. They say no short prints (and the more I've purchased, the more there doesn't truly seem to be any). So you can divide all those out by 75 to get the set totals.

They would be as follows:

grey common sets: 4,770
grey foil sets: 3,148
grey pattern sets: 1,621
black common sets: 3,148
black foil sets: 2,078
black pattern sets: 1,070
clear common sets: 1,621
clear foil sets: 1,070
clear pattern sets: 551

now huge disclaimer on this, is that it doesn't account for any ultra rares, the super ultras (battle, slave, etc) that are found in the booster packs. You can account for the starter kits because you only multiply out by 13, as opposed by 14, since you are guaranteed an ultra rare (though I guess possible they threw in a super ultra in those, no clue, but it wouldn't differ by much).

That's why I went for the clear foil & pattern sets. There aren't that many to go around.

So how about gold, silver, red, green?

You can do some math on that as well.

We know they aren't found in the promo packs. So that leaves you with a guaranteed one in the starter kids, and we know they made 26,250 of those. So there's that number. You can then just use the odds on the booster packs as given to get an idea of how many are out there.

Here are the stated odds on those cribbed from someone earlier in this thread:

Slime Green and Lightsaber Red-- 1:8
Death Star Silver and Golds -- 1:24
Battle Damaged-- 1:10,845
Slave 1-- 1:21,690
Imperial Red -- 1:67,777

so 172,800 booster packs. Just dividing out straight odds on those (not accounting for the fact that if you get a red, it messes with your chance to get a silver, etc):

172,800/8: 21,600 reds & greens, likely even number
172,800/14: 12,342 gold & silvers, also likely split evenly
172,800/10,845: 15 battle damaged
172,800/21/690: 8 slave 1
172,800/67,777: 2 1/2 imperial red (yes, half haha)

Now you have to add back in the 26,250 that are guaranteed in the starter pack.

No idea what the composition of that is, whether you have shots at the battle damaged, imperial red, and slave. I assume so, given doesn't make sense the odds for imperial red come out to nearly exactly 2.5.

Really depends on the mix of the starter packs. The battle damaged and slave appear to be much rarer than the initial statement of 15 or so. Probably only 5 or so of each like you said, if that.

I'm sure someone will find something wrong with my math, as I just quickly put it out there. Have fun parsing through it

If anyone wants to check it, they did one 14k disc in the promo, 2 in the starter kits, and 2 in the booster packs... that's how you can get the production numbers based on the Leia odds.

Jason
Three things.

1) How do you know the odds of Gold Leia in Boosters?
2) Are you using booster odds for starter odds or are they clumped together as a total disc #... sorry, I was having trouble following total discs being I can't figure out how many boosters there are without an answer to #1.
3) Also LOOKS like you are assuming the super-ultra rares odds for individual discs? If so, that's wrong. Like pretty much every other collectible card product, that's the odds to get a disc from the "group" with battle damage having 5 in a group, slave1 having 2, and imperial having 1 - this also makes them all nearly identical in # produced.

I THOUGHT that I read 2/2/1 somewhere on the Leia distribution, but wasn't positive on that either so thanks. But, again, even with that info I don't see how it's possible to come up with total boosters without the odds of a gold Leia... we can guess and possibly get very close just by assuming similar ratios from starters.

Here's the odds for all discs on Boosters and Starters for reference:

As you can see Leia gold disc odds are on the starter but NOT boosters. You could guesstimate total boosters based on ratios of the other super-ultra rare odds but don't know for certain. If you do, yeah it seemed like to me 5-10 of each battle-damage/slave1/imperial which IS "almost as rare as gold leia."

Oh yeah, and I definitely think booster odds for ultra-rares is correct just extremely poor distribution. Earlier in this thread I showed one Walmart that had boosters that were loaded (1 ultra rare AND clear pattern-foilS PER pack) and then I broke ~20 boosters elsewhere and got 1 ultra rare.

Last edited by BHotz; 10-26-2015 at 09:09 PM.
BHotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:11 PM   #209 (permalink)

I have a message from Topps confirming a Leia in the promos.

I was trying to do the math earlier with them guiding me, and the more I persisted, the more numbers they gave me:

"Hi Jason, there are 5 Leia 14kt gold discs total: 1 in the promos, 2 in the boosters and 2 in the starters. That will change your total number considerably."

As far as odds, I was just going with the ones posted here early on. Never bothered to look at the packs. I am confident my total number of the regular set is extremely close with maybe a variance of 2% or so when factoring in the chases.

Maybe I'll try to do a second look at the numbers with the images you posted. I more wanted to get a feel for how many clear patterns there are out there. And (again, guided by Topps), it works out to about the ratios I posted. Half of Half when going down the line from grey to black to clear, and same when going in each color from regular to foil to pattern. If you open up enough product, it is uncanny how the stacks shape up to be exactly as I posted.

Jason
Old 10-26-2015, 09:21 PM   #210 (permalink)

Quote:
Why buy on eBay unless you're going for blues or the very rare battle damaged when you can still buy all the starter kits you need and get a guaranteed ultra rare at walmart.com?
Because it's CHEAPER (insert shameless eBay plug) as it's a BITCH building even a grey base buying starters/boosters. Finally got a couple sets up on eBay

I agree with a ton of the other sentiment about the product above. I still think/see the green & reds as being similar to other one-per-pack inserts in other hobby trading cards. So @ ~600 sets that is MUCH rarer than most other similar one-per-pack hobby inserts. But like we keep saying, demand is paramount. It's there. We just don't know how long it sustains or if it grows.

Quote:
It seems like a really clunky game
Yeah, kinda. For younger kids, yes. But for slightly older or young adults it seems fine for the constraints they had. The question is the replay-ability which does seem weak. Nevertheless, it's cool there is a game in addition to cool "collectible poker chips".

And I'm beating another dead horse but from my feelers of friends I've asked to look for these (especially during the first month), none can find them in any of their Walmarts. So yeah, I'm sure there's some out there but I think quite a few have sold out. And, seriously, buying 3 at-a-time on Walmart.com is so, so logistically painful. I really think Topps would have done better for their product by lifting the restriction or going to 12 instead of 3 early on.

Last edited by BHotz; 10-26-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:21 PM   #211 (permalink)

OK so let's do some more math now that we have more information.

172,800 booster packs
26,250 starter kits

so in those boosters
red/green, odds are 1:4 (combining each as 1:8 since I consider them one and the same haha): 6,500 or so in the boosters.
silver/gold 1:12 (combining the 1:24)... not really concerned with totals.

more interested in the battle damaged, etc.

1:10,815 battle damaged means there's 15 to 16 total in the boosters.
1:21,690 slave means there's around 8 of those.

Onto the starter kits (thanks for confirming you can get them in those, as I said in original post, didn't have any idea):

you basically are going to get a red or green 66% of the time, and then likely a silver or gold. Onto the big guys:

battle: 1:3,873 or 6 or 7 of them in there.
slave: 1:7,745 or around 3 slave 1s.

Add them up between both, and you get 21 to 23 battle damaged. 4 different people in the set so 5 to 6 of each.

10 to 11 slave total, and I think there are only two people in that? so again you get the approx 5 per.

So yes that gels with your around 5 of each type.

Math checks out.

j
Old 10-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #212 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHotz View Post
Because it's CHEAPER (insert shameless eBay plug) as it's a BITCH building even a grey base buying starters/boosters. Finally got a couple sets up on eBay

I agree with a ton of the other sentiment about the product above. I still think/see the green & reds as being similar to other one-per-pack inserts in other hobby trading cards. So @ ~600 sets that is MUCH rarer than most other similar one-per-pack hobby inserts. But like we keep saying, demand is huge. It's there. We just don't know how long it sustains or if it grows.

Yeah, kinda. For younger kids, yes. But for slightly older or young adults it seems fine for the constraints they had. The question is the replay-ability which does seem weak. Nevertheless, it's cool there is a game in addition to cool "collectible poker chips".

And I'm beating another dead horse but from my feelers of friends I've asked to look for these (especially during the first month), none can find them in any of their Walmarts. So yeah, I'm sure there's some out there but I think quite a few have sold out. And, seriously, buying 3 at-a-time on Walmart.com is so, so logistically painful. I really think Topps would have done better for their product by lifting the restriction or going to 12 instead of 3 early on.
I guess I bought so much product I didn't realize how hard it was to complete a set. I know, cry me a river haha

No idea how many common sets I have. Been just helping people out that need them to complete sets. These are my 1990 topps common cards I can just hand out

I did run into issues when trying to help folks round out the pattern sets... I certainly didn't have all of those done, but I didn't focus on them either. The patterns I did have to go hunt for the final 3 or 4 on eBay that I didn't have, but again I guess I opened up so much product I was in good shape when I finally sorted them.

And I've picked up a couple others here in lots when I see them simply because I like them and I understand their scarcity. If there were more auctions maybe I'd even try to hoard a couple of people... but I don't see that happening. Should've tried that earlier on when the great dump was happening as people jettisoned anything clear to just get those reds/greens up.

I haven't checked my walmart other than the one time. And when I finally saw them I had already completed the patterns and had no more interest in getting greys to weigh me down. Thinking about picking up some more starters now that walmart has loosened up the reigns a bit. Was annoying to only buy 3 at a time and also have to tack on shipping. Hell, wish they'd done them as an amazon exclusive so I could use prime.

j
Old 10-26-2015, 09:44 PM   #213 (permalink)

Quote:
THANKS for the reminder! I already filled 4 out and put them in envelopes, just hadn't gotten stamps and dropped them in the mail. Will do that tomorrow! Off topc, but does anyone know the cutoff date for the Topps JTTFA mail away? I lost the one hobby pack I saved, so I don't even have the address, and I know it's different from the address on the retail packs.
Zeldafanatic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:11 PM   #214 (permalink)

Incidentally, in the contest rules posted above, why do Canadian winners have to answer a skill test question? Is it some type of bizarre Canadian law where games of chance are not allowed unless some level of skill is involved?
Old 10-26-2015, 10:35 PM   #215 (permalink)

Quote:
Incidentally, in the contest rules posted above, why do Canadian winners have to answer a skill test question? Is it some type of bizarre Canadian law where games of chance are not allowed unless some level of skill is involved?
that is exactly correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skill_testing_question

j
Old 10-31-2015, 08:30 PM   #216 (permalink)

I am almost done my green set (need <10)! It is coming along a LOT easier (and cheaper!) than I thought it would be when the set first hit. I am now paying like $4-$5 per green disk. I am embarrassed to say I paid up to $25 for a green disk that first weekend (yikes!).

While prices for these have tanked, I still think it is a great looking product and I think my greens will look cool once all are assembled. I might even continue to chase the Wave 2 greens (assuming same refractor sticker), but I will never pay more than single digits for a green disk anymore. So far, this seems to be a fun, quality product to collect for a cheap price (unless you are on the hunt for the really rare stuff).

I will scan my entire green collection once I have acquired them.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:42 PM   #217 (permalink)

Also, in regard to production run... the STAR WARS GALACTIC CONNEXIONS “GOLD DISC”
GIVEAWAY legalese appearing at http://www.topps.com/skin/frontend/e...WAY_9_4_15.pdf claims there are six (6) white discs made (exchangeable for a Gold Leia), not 5.

Quote:
5. Prize Claim: Restrictions. All prize claims are subject to verification by
Sponsor. A person who receives a special white disc in the package of Star
Wars Galactic Connexions discs is not a potential prize winner unless and
until his/her prize claim has been verified by Sponsor. If Sponsor determines,
in its sole judgment, that the white disc is not valid (for example, white disc is
irregular, damaged, altered, defaced, forged or tampered with in any way) or if
white disc was not obtained in a manner set forth in these Official Rules, such
prize claim will be rejected and Sponsor will have no liability or obligation with
regard to such prize claim. White discs are void and will not be accepted by
Sponsor if they contain mechanical, printing or other errors of any kind, and
Sponsor will have no liability or obligation with regard to such white discs. If, for
any reason, more than six (6) white discs are redeemed as valid prize claims, a
random drawing will be held from among all eligible prize claimants to award
only six (6) prizes. In no event will more than six (6) prizes be made available to
be won in the Promotion. ANY UNCLAIMED OR FORFEITED PRIZES
WILL NOT BE AWARDED
And it also appears the promotion now ends February 1, 2016, not the end of October as listed on the back of packaging.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:06 PM   #218 (permalink)

Quote:
Also, in regard to production run... the STAR WARS GALACTIC CONNEXIONS “GOLD DISC”
GIVEAWAY legalese appearing at http://www.topps.com/skin/frontend/e...WAY_9_4_15.pdf claims there are six (6) white discs made (exchangeable for a Gold Leia), not 5.

And it also appears the promotion now ends February 1, 2016, not the end of October as listed on the back of packaging.
Might be that 6th is for the legal stuff of the mail in.

I have the direct quote and pasted it here from Topps directly as to how many were inserted, and into what.

Could they be wrong? sure. They've put out a few different numbers on things (especially with blues having 15, then 5 short prints... probably somewhere in between on that number).

j
Old 11-03-2015, 09:38 AM   #219 (permalink)

And then there were these -->

NOT cheap @ $5 for one disc and a pseudo card. The Walmart closest to me had maybe ~20 cards. Of those there was one with a green and one with a red, 2 pattern clears I believe, and various others. Cool you can single out a disc but really worth ~$2-3 and not $5 unless you want the card too, I suppose.

While this increases the supply SLIGHTLY, it's very possible these could help with the popularity. Adults/parents pay ~$5 for BDay/etc. cards all the time... kids getting these could get interested when they see the "cool disc."

Also, I have seen a couple Walmarts get 6 more starters in lately so like someone previously mentioned some are restocking. Kinda odd that the Walmarts around here took well over a month to put out another 6... maybe because of the excess supply online?
Old 11-03-2015, 06:15 PM   #220 (permalink)

That's kind of cool... thanks for sharing!

I could see character collectors trying to nab cards of their character that contain the same character's disk.

Also, if I encountered this display I would have probably picked up all of the reds and greens (or any other ultra rares)... At $5, still would have been kind of a cool get.

It would be interesting if these popped up at Hallmark stores as well. I doubt it though. The disks could use more exposure for sure.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:28 PM   #221 (permalink)

I was off today and met my mom a couple hours away. I did hit a couple Walmarts and picked up 2 silver chewbaccas (same place), a gold Rey and a few greens. I think a lot of the ultra rares come clustered. There were like 4 Boba Fett greens, but I only picked up one. One Wal Mart didn't have them out. The one I got the gold from only had a small assortment (like it was picked through) mixed in with the general cards. The gold was behind the envelopes.

I guessing they likely over printed the ultra rares for the 12 carded characters. I actually prefer paying $5 for this than $10 for the starter pack (where you only really want one disk anyway and it is more often than not of an obscure character).

I think I will ultimately try to pick up all 12 green. I left a lot of reds. And there were also some green disks that were offcentered in the packaging (I plan on keeping them carded, and the "floaters" don't look very nice.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:02 PM   #222 (permalink)

The more I look at them, the more I LOVE these cards as collectibles. I think the disk in card is even more collectible than the actual disks themselves. They did a good job with these, and ultimately I think a carded ultra rare disk will be rarer than an uncarded disk.

I live on the East Coast in an area that is well represented by Wal Marts. I think I will spend one day this weekend driving around to a ton of them to hunt down green (I want all twelve and have 5/12 so far), golds and silver disc cards.

Is anyone else interested in collecting these? If so, I can pick up doubles to trade. If not, I will just leave them.

It will be interesting to see what the makeup of Wave 2 will be. I am a bit bummed they are including vehicles. Hopefully the checklist doesn't get too watered down with them, as I don't see how that will be something that will be widely collectible. Anyone heard anything new in regard to Wave 2?

Incidentally, at the Walmarts I checked today, they all had starter packs, but I didn't see any of the 5 disk packs. Perhaps the restock of this stuff is finally slowing down in time for Wave 2.

I still think this stuff will struggle to catch on. It will probably be dead after Wave 2, but I think Wave 1 is solid and fun to collect while we have the chance.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:30 PM   #223 (permalink)
Banned

I dunno man judging from the horrendous amount of views my eBay auctions generated for any type of disc, I am almost 100% sure that if u do not have a gold or silver or rarer type of disc, there is almost zero interest!! I was selling lots for 1.00 of gray n black discs with a good character selection and nothing!! Like 5 views over the course of 7 days lol my Yugioh cards get more views on just common garbage cards!! Smh
soxrulecubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:45 PM   #224 (permalink)

Right... the grays, blacks, and clears (except for maybe the clear pattern foils) have zero interest. I think that has more to do with the game aspect of the product being horrible though.

In a perfect storm, adult collectors would be buying the stuff for the rare disks, and kids would be buying the stuff to play the game. I don't think any kid is buying this to play the game (a complex, horrible version of dominoes imho), so its lifespan will be short.

I still do very much like the actual disks as a collectible though. But the prospects of this stuff lasting more than 2 or 3 waves (or expanding to other properties like Marvel) seem pretty small. Walmart.com recently upped the number of packs you could buy online (originally were limited to like 3 or so per order), so that is additional anecdotal evidence that the product is not as popular as they were initially hoping/planning.

I think one major mistep was the whole blue starfield distribution. They should have given away a few of them, but then also included them in specially marked packs that people would pay for. It looks like a lot of that stuff was just backdoored, and never made it into the hands of kids who were Topps (and Walmarts I guess) best bet for this product to take off.

If the free stuff didn't make its way into the hands of kids, then it just seems like a waste of time for Topps to give away so much of that stuff to 20 or 30 something dudes who only are interested in listing the stuff on eBay.

I don't know how they fix that. Maybe tie the "free" packs in the next promo to a purchase of a Star Wars toy? Only give the freebies out to kids under X age?
Old 11-11-2015, 09:05 PM   #225 (permalink)
Banned

I'm not sure but all of the walmarts in Chicago nw suburbs keep em buy the tcg/sports card sections and I think they would have been better served by placing them by the action figures!! A lot of those sections are crappy compared to Target in this hell hole of an area lol I bet they r scared all the little Mexican kids will steal em cause they damn near destroy the entire toy sections around here!! They literally open stuff play with em in the store and put back on shelves!! Not only that there are sports card stores that actually allow scaling!! How dumb could u be?!?! In front of customers too?!?! Lmao
soxrulecubs is offline   Reply With Quote