Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone else opening more non-sports cause ......

Just curious here..

Lately I have found myself getting more and more into the non-sports cards. And mostly it's because the sports card world is leaving me a little underwhelmed. Products have been coming out, which may look ok in the previews but then you open it and you are like "Why did I buy this?" It seems like alot of the sports cards stuff has just been underwhelming, high prices and just a crappy product and not always meaning the hits. Opening boxes and just not being excited bout the cards, even the base card designs. Like for example of a basecard designed I really enjoyed is the Quotable Star Trek, thats just my opinion of course.

So I thought I would just bring up a fun open discussion for those that are in the same boat as me. Just being totally underwhelmed buy stuff thats coming out in the sports card world from basecards to auto's/relics. Not saying you need to always get big hits but its always good to get hits that excite you and make you happy to look at.
Shimey013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Gave up on sports in 2009. Pretty much everything you open is a loss. A few winners, but mostly you lose money. And forget being a player collector, with all of the BS 1/1's, 1/5's etc, the hobby is no more fun. Way to screw it up Topps & Upperdeck!

Non-Sports has been a blast with almost everything I've opened so far, if I were to sell, could at least make my money back if not more. Props to Rittenhouse, Artbox, Breygent and others for putting out products with decent price points.

Bill
chilly55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have gone this route...although i still have to satisfy my sports cravings here and there. I really like good sketch cards. I have been collecting a couple of the "artist" that are on this board since they are really down to earth good guys.

I also like collecting anything that has to do with history. I started out with some of my favorite authors, then went to the WWII cards, and then really anything at all to do with history. Topps American Heritage is still one of my favorite sets.

I am also collecting autos of my favorite TV personalities and movies. You can only get so many autos of the same sports players....which seem to be over produced now (Montana, Marino, Staubach autos under $50 now).
Magicman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

I also took this route and here is why... I collect mainly football and fact is before the 2009 season when the Seahawks drafted Aaron Curry #4 they really didnt make good looking Seahawks cards for example Upperdeck has released Sp Authentic with a Autographed patch rc per box since 2004 (in 03 only a few were autoed)..and only in 2006 was there an auto Seahawk patch and it was a short print. Always seemed like the Hawks cards got the shaft... so in the meantime I still busted a ton of boxes and I scanned over 300 Autographs and Game used into my bucket. I came on the trading webpages and was looking for any and all Seahawks autos and game used even the junk like Jon Kitna and Brock Huard. So I'd say hey I like that Kitna auto that books at $12 and 90% of them either wanted a brand new rc from that year or wanted to trade for my peyton Manning auto...so then I noticed that alot of threads would say stuff like "trading my football for non sports or wrestling autos " etc So that is when I noticed how cheap a box of non sports was. I would buy a box of Razor Ink Vault for $35 which is $50 cheaper than a decent box of football cards and I could easily trade the cards I was getting for the cheaper hawks I wanted. Same with wrestling, benchwarmers, Indiana Jones etc.. all so CHEAP and easy to trade .. you still have a chance of hitting a big card but way less of a chance of losing ..
Seahawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've actually been going the Non-Sports route more and more. There are a couple of products I really wanted to get on in pre-sells but I was jsut busy started my company and just couldn't swing it. I wish I could have got in on Iron man 2. That was pure profit from a flippers stand point if you got in cheap on the pre-sell. However, I am not good at the sketch cards and figuring out who the artist are.

The new Benchwarmers signature series wouldn't be bad if the buy was about $75-100 less (IMO).

The Marvel Heroes and Villians sounds pretty cool - but I'm not in on the price point with this one yet. I think I need somethin extra or about $15 less a box. But I like the concept.

I think the latest Star Trek series have been awesome too. The Women of Stark Trek was a pretty good series - however I think it needed a better push.

All the War and Americana stuff is fun to open also. Plus it has a never ending collectible base.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm doing more non-sports, mostly because I'm getting bored with the stuff Upper Deck and Topps is putting out...
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
All the War and Americana stuff is fun to open also. Plus it has a never ending collectible base.
Hey Zero, what war stuff have you been opening?
Nicnac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
Hey Zero, what war stuff have you been opening?
To be honest - I have't touched any "yet" (I did open a little Heritage). I wanted to open the Band of Brother, but I just did not like the way they were selling the product. It's just my mentality when I got to purchase bulk.

With that said, I have thought about calling them and seeing if I could be a distributor for them. I have everything in place for my Hasbro contract, so why not add them?
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Old 09-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm doing more and more non-sports as well. Getting very bored with the products coming out lately with UD, Panini, and Topps. I think what really did it over the top for me was the recent Strasburg craze and how every Topps product skyrocketed and there was nothing else to buy other than Topps.

Non-Sports has been fun since the stuff I collect/break are shows I actually watch like Warehouse 13, Lost, Heroes!
Old 09-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
To be honest - I have't touched any "yet" (I did open a little Heritage). I wanted to open the Band of Brother, but I just did not like the way they were selling the product. It's just my mentality when I got to purchase bulk.

With that said, I have thought about calling them and seeing if I could be a distributor for them. I have everything in place for my Hasbro contract, so why not add them?
I love iCardz product and want The Pacific to come out soon, but have you seen the updates in my thread? The per box auto ratio has changed:
America at War - Band of Brothers (revisited)
Old 09-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
I love iCardz product and want The Pacific to come out soon, but have you seen the updates in my thread? The per box auto ratio has changed:
America at War - Band of Brothers (revisited)
I did not see that. You know, that would make that product very tough to sell at the price they are requesting. Not for sure if I would want to test the waters with that product. I may have missed the boat with them.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Old 09-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
I did not see that. You know, that would make that product very tough to sell at the price they are requesting. Not for sure if I would want to test the waters with that product. I may have missed the boat with them.
Preaching to the choir
Old 09-17-2010, 12:19 AM   #13 (permalink)

I watch a lot of tv shows and movies so I like non-sport stuff for that reason. Also you can get boxes with a lot of hits for half the price of sports card boxes so if you like the non-sport stuff it can be a good deal!
Lockdown32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

Default Definitely...

Warehouse 13, Dexter, heroes, and Star Trek are a few of my recent purchases. My kids aren't into sportscards so this makes for some fun box breaking. My son is 16 and my daughter, even at 7 1/2, likes collecting the Firefly/Serenity autos with me.

VinnyH
Old 12-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #15 (permalink)

looking forward to stargate universe and can not wait to see what RA does with the NCIS license
streicher187 is offline   Reply With Quote