Blowout Cards Forums
5/27/16 coupon

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2016, 04:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to kevinlucky
Default star wars TFA mystery redemption

I understand this is a mystery card but I've been looking on eBay and have seen at least 10 different ones some sold for $2000. Unless the card has an actual ounce of gold in it I don't understand why it's getting so much money. If there were only 1 or 2 on eBay between active and sold listings it would make more sense. I don't think it's as rare as people think, does anyone have any additional info on these mystery redemption cards?
When I was about 8 years old my dad would take me to card shows. We saw Hank Aaron once, my dad told me before we got in the elevator to ask him how it felt to hit the home run, so I did. Best childhood memory.
kevinlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Spoiler Alert: Daisy Ridley autos in Topps' Force Awakens set as mystery redemption

The first Daisy Ridley Mystery Redemption has sold ...
Old 01-16-2016, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ya, figured. That's way too much for an autograph of rey. I'll wait a year until star wars settles down and buy the card for $300.
When I was about 8 years old my dad would take me to card shows. We saw Hank Aaron once, my dad told me before we got in the elevator to ask him how it felt to hit the home run, so I did. Best childhood memory.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlucky View Post
Ya, figured. That's way too much for an autograph of rey. I'll wait a year until star wars settles down and buy the card for $300.
Good luck with that.

If she signs as much as Hamill, sure. If she signs as much as Ford. No.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerg View Post
Good luck with that.

Without checking the individual auctions...( A few might be relisted)..there are 4 live right now and 14 have ended. Gotta figure atleast 25 in Series 1... so she has already signed more than Ford. And I'm sure Topps will include her in Series 2 plus other Star Wars sets. I'm sure she will be limited... but no where close to Ford levels. I could see her being Hamill/Fisher.
Ferg1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg1945 View Post
I'm sure she will be limited... but no where close to Ford levels.
To be determined. Who knows, maybe she never signs again, maybe she signs everything in sight.

Still, 25 isn't many. To say that a year from now Star Wars fans will have moved on and the card will be $300, I wouldn't take that bet.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

They better be telling her not to sign anything if her auto is worth $2000. I don't think by law they can restrict her from signing stuff.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
They better be telling her not to sign anything if her auto is worth $2000. I don't think by law they can restrict her from signing stuff.
No idea what you are talking about. Never said they would restrict her. Some celebs just decide not to sign anymore or severely limit what they sign. (See Portman, Natalie)
Old 01-16-2016, 05:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

What I find crazy, other than a 3rd thread being started for this, is that no one would have paid $506 (equivalent to $2000 today) for a Ford auto in 1977. He turned out to be one of the top box office draws for 2 decades while not signing much at all which created this demand for his auto. I think Ridley will be a huge star but would like to see a little more on her resume before shelling out that kind of cash. Having said that, I'm glad people are doing it as its great for the hobby!
PoPCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well she already committed to signing for this set, so she's a signer in my opinion.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Well she already committed to signing for this set, so she's a signer in my opinion.
What does that even mean?
Old 01-16-2016, 06:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

He's comparing Natalie Portman to Rey. I'm saying Rey has already signed cards for this set, so in my own opinion I'm categorizing her as someone who will continue to sign.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Faulkenburg

Quote:
He's comparing Natalie Portman to Rey. I'm saying Rey has already signed cards for this set, so in my own opinion I'm categorizing her as someone who will continue to sign.

Please don't be offended if I ever lowball you on the Bay. So many sports breakers take crazy low offers and I can't remember who is who.
Faulkenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

I don't get it, does that mean open my eyes?
Old 01-16-2016, 07:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
You are clearly new.

1. Don't assume she has signed until you see some signed cards.
2. Plenty of individuals have signed for one set and not another.

Sadly there are quite a few examples from Topps where they weren't able to secure the signed cards for the redemption and fulfilled them with a replacement card. My guess, that is why they say "mystery signer". Then nobody can call the BBB if they don't like what they get.

Hell... There is an active thread right now where Upperdeck failed to secure the card that Kerg was supposed to get and sent out replacements instead. In his case, he was okay with it. Go through some old threads and you'll find plenty of times when people weren't so pleased.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Alright, you've all convinced me that her autograph is worth $2000. I'll start saving my money up so I can buy her mystery redemption card and then I won't be new anymore right?
Old 01-16-2016, 07:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerg View Post
Good luck with that.

She's done a single movienot even close to Harrison Ford's league.

I like cards and collectibles, but $2000 for a REDEMPTION that MAY be for an actress that has done ONE notable acting job is beyond silly. something tells me anyone spending 2 grand for These redemptions have got to be living w their parents
Old 01-16-2016, 07:43 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittdk01 View Post
She's done a single movie not even close to Harrison Ford's league.
I didn't say it would always or should be at the value of Ford. I'm not talking about comparing careers. Was talking strictly from a position of scarcity. If she signs a number of cards around Ford (or even triple what he signs), she won't be a $300 auto for being probably the main character in Star Wars 7-9.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:03 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Alright, you've all convinced me that her autograph is worth $2000. I'll start saving my money up so I can buy her mystery redemption card and then I won't be new anymore right?
This response has nothing to do with what I posted, however it is very telling about your maturity level. Good luck with your new hobby.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:06 PM   #20 (permalink)

Are you one of the guys that spent $2000, sure sounds like it.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:23 PM   #21 (permalink)

Spider you haven't made any sense this whole thread, I'll just ignore you. Sounds like you're trying to cause problems.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:31 PM   #22 (permalink)

Just a quick recap...

You wrote this:

Quote:
I responded with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
You are clearly new.

1. Don't assume she has signed until you see some signed cards.
2. Plenty of individuals have signed for one set and not another.

Sadly there are quite a few examples from Topps where they weren't able to secure the signed cards for the redemption and fulfilled them with a replacement card. My guess, that is why they say "mystery signer". Then nobody can call the BBB if they don't like what they get.

Hell... There is an active thread right now where Upperdeck failed to secure the card that Kerg was supposed to get and sent out replacements instead. In his case, he was okay with it. Go through some old threads and you'll find plenty of times when people weren't so pleased.
At this point, you should realize that I (a) didn't say anything about the value of her autograph and (b) suggested the people buying these mystery autographs may not receive what they are hoping for. An intelligent person would conclude that I would not pay $2000 or even $2 for a "mystery" redemption, but you concluded the opposite and topped it off with a childish remark.

Quote:
So... yeah... good luck with your new hobby. From what I've read so far in various threads, you are going to spend your money very foolishly over the next few months. It's clear that you think you've got it all figured out, so I'm not going to bother with any additional responses.

Last edited by iluvfish2; 01-16-2016 at 08:57 PM. Reason: seems still at dabate to me
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:34 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Are you one of the guys that spent $2000, sure sounds like it.
Huh? Most of the people here have agreed that the card most likely won't hold up at $2,000 but it does have some things working for it. If it is Ridley then it would be her first autograph card which can be desirable. It's from the newly crowned North American box office champion. It's Star Wars which is not going anywhere any time soon and hasn't been this hot in a long time. She is the centerpiece of a new trilogy. She is a young and talented actress with sky-is-the-limit potential.

To come out and say that you will buy one at $300 in a year is a bit ridiculous. If they ever got that low you would probably never have a chance at one due to how fast they would be purchased. Even if she signs for more sets, this could be considered her "rookie card" which carries some weight to it. I don't get your beef with Spider-Fan here.

My most cherished piece of eBay feedback
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:43 PM   #24 (permalink)

I can see her similar to Mark Hamill in future releases as far as numbers of signed cards go. Prices will come down but most likely settle anywhere between $500 and $1000 for base autos. That's quite away down the road though.
Just my opinion
Ty Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:52 AM   #25 (permalink)

I saw this link in the other thread which is what I was going off.

https://blowoutbuzz.wordpress.com/20...ry-redemption/