Blowout Cards Forums
2016 star wars

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2016, 01:33 AM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Be prepared for voice and background character actor autos. The brand director on this has been hitting up a lot of them on Twitter.
buckycap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:48 AM   #27 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Faulkenburg

Did Chrome 1 or 2 get a retail release? I thought they were hobby only. With this set going retail the base cards will not hold any value.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:01 AM   #28 (permalink)

I loved the 1999 Chrome Archives set and this one sort of reminds me of that so I will definitely pick up a master set (cheaply due to retail&#128512 of this one. A lot can change because it's early in the process but I just don't see great value in breaking boxes/cases yet
PoPCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #29 (permalink)

At 1 hit per box w/ possiblity of that being a medallion I better see some Star Wars Galaxy pre-order pricing...
daviswr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:18 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviswr7 View Post
At 1 hit per box w/ possiblity of that being a medallion I better see some Star Wars Galaxy pre-order pricing...
I have bad news then. Distributor pricing is the same as the last few releases!
PoPCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:41 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post
I have bad news then. Distributor pricing is the same as the last few releases!
cheese and rice. I had yet to get my info from distributors so I was hoping for a much lower price point. Ridiculous.
daviswr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:48 AM   #32 (permalink)

it would be ridiculous if they cant get rey into this set
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:35 PM   #33 (permalink)

So is topps thinking people will not care about only getting one hit per box because this will be the first chrome cards that will have stuff from the new movies? Just trying to figure out why they are trying to do here.
Sharard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:20 AM   #34 (permalink)

don't know but there supposed to use all new images . so it wont be exact as series 1 like a previous member said .
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:32 AM   #35 (permalink)

With one hit per box, and medallions making yet another appearance, what kind of breaks are we looking at? With a 12 box case, I could easily see Topps going with 8 or 9 medallions, and the 3 or 4 autos/sketches/etc. Is that enough to get people excited for this set?

At $500, this set could be fun. At $900-1000, it is a bad joke, and should tank quicker than CP JvS.
Darth Smittyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:58 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Smittyous View Post
With one hit per box, and medallions making yet another appearance, what kind of breaks are we looking at? With a 12 box case, I could easily see Topps going with 8 or 9 medallions, and the 3 or 4 autos/sketches/etc. Is that enough to get people excited for this set?

At $500, this set could be fun. At $900-1000, it is a bad joke, and should tank quicker than CP JvS.
This has secondary market disaster written all over it. It also has huge success for Topps also written all over it. That's all Topps cares about. You'd think with them losing the NFL that they would make a better effort. Guess they don't have to if people keep gobbling it up. Hopefully consumers get wise to what they are doing, because this product as it stands now is a horrible product.

That lack of Rey/Daisy Ridley on the sell sheet has to make redemption holders nervous wrecks.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #37 (permalink)
Banned

Doing Star Wars sets every year is tough. With sports cards new players come onto the scene on a regular basis, but unless they make another movie every single year, its tough to justify multiple releases in a calendar year.
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:34 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjim8660 View Post
Doing Star Wars sets every year is tough. With sports cards new players come onto the scene on a regular basis, but unless they make another movie every single year, its tough to justify multiple releases in a calendar year.
They could make it work if they got new signers for each release. I mean between seven movies and all the cartoons and other things, they could make it work. Mix in costume and prop relics, there is a way to make multiple sets a year work. They seemingly though choose not to go that route.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:20 AM   #39 (permalink)

I really don't like a retail version of Chrome, but then again the sets are not worth much a month after release. I could sell master sets for decent, but nothing huge.

I wish we all would not preorder cases of this, to keep production down.
Topps could make the hits very valuable and make boxes even with 1 hits have some real value if they do it correctly.

There is a way that they can make good money and also make the customer very happy, but it has to be done just right.

It is surprising they don't continue with the 2 hits with 1 being a manufactured hit. Those cost nothing, and even though we are getting tired of them, you do get a little money from them and the SP version sell very well. It is better than nothing I will say.
jdhaugh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:56 PM   #40 (permalink)

I think Topps might be testing the waters a bit with this set... in a bad way. Going to one hit per box, with manufactured hits likely making up a sizeable portion in case breaks, is going to let them cut costs quite a bit. If the buying public gobbles up this set, look for future release to follow the same model.

You can see the same from the past. Galaxy 6 was obviously a fluke, but it gave buyers a taste of multiple hits. Galactic Files series 1 rolls around with the first offering of two guaranteed hits. That model has stuck since then. If Topps can get back to one hit per box again and people accept it at current case prices, it will become the norm.

Topps will then keep offering multiple hits in "premium" products. Oh and all of this might happen as Topps moves to bi-monthly, or heaven forbid, monthly Star Wars releases. We already have TFA Ser2, Evolutions, and TFA Chrome before the year is half over. Then there will be Rogue One, Masterwork Ser2, and Masterwork TFA... all released on the same day!
Darth Smittyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:47 AM   #41 (permalink)

Considering that the medallions in this seem pretty rare compared to TFA Series 1 (even the bronze medals in this are /50), they might actually be quite valuable right? 1 hit per box is fine with me as long as the 1 hit is on average equivalent/better than the 2 hits in Series 1.
Hikaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:25 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru View Post
Considering that the medallions in this seem pretty rare compared to TFA Series 1 (even the bronze medals in this are /50), they might actually be quite valuable right? 1 hit per box is fine with me as long as the 1 hit is on average equivalent/better than the 2 hits in Series 1.
It's a manufactured relic with made up scarcity. They may be a bit more valuable than the ones in previous releases but make no bones about it; this release as currently put together is going to be a bloodbath for most.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
It's a manufactured relic with made up scarcity. They may be a bit more valuable than the ones in previous releases but make no bones about it; this release as currently put together is going to be a bloodbath for most.
While I agree with you, the entire hobby is based on artificial scarcity. They could easily triple the number of Mark Hamill autos. Given his recent Twitter activity on getting real autos in the hands of fans I bet they could go from 30 autos per release to a 100 with very minimal cost. However, it would kill the value of the product and Topps couldn't sell them for a grand a case.

I do agree 100% that as currently designed, this product is going to be a huge loss for anyone buying cases.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:38 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulkenburg View Post
While I agree with you, the entire hobby is based on artificial scarcity. They could easily triple the number of Mark Hamill autos. Given his recent Twitter activity on getting real autos in the hands of fans I bet they could go from 30 autos per release to a 100 with very minimal cost. However, it would kill the value of the product and Topps couldn't sell them for a grand a case.

I do agree 100% that as currently designed, this product is going to be a huge loss for anyone buying cases.
Only way a case breaker might try is if they put in a real cool sought after 1 per case hit. No idea what that could be. Maybe a great relic from the movie, a sketch of one of the stars signed by the actor, I don't know.

But it would need to stand out and want to be chased. It's the only way I see case breakers not taking a bath in this stuff.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:47 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharard View Post
Only way a case breaker might try is if they put in a real cool sought after 1 per case hit. No idea what that could be. Maybe a great relic from the movie, a sketch of one of the stars signed by the actor, I don't know.

But it would need to stand out and want to be chased. It's the only way I see case breakers not taking a bath in this stuff.
Not that Topps would care, but that would kill the market for selling boxes. If I knew that each case had one great hit and others likely contained a medallion, I wouldn't touch a loose box. There's no way you could convince me that someone didn't already get the case hit and are dumping the other boxes. That already happens now, but would be multiplied greatly with such a horrible breakout that this release has.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:26 AM   #46 (permalink)

Topps need to do the sketchagraphs with Ford and the new cast.
The past one with radio actors used to sell for well over $100, if you got one with a big name it would be $1,000 at the very least!
jdhaugh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:52 AM   #47 (permalink)

Thinking about it, Topps doesn't have to do a thing since this set will likely sell well for them. For distributors, the stores selling the wax, and the breaker, this set will not do well. Funny thing though, people will still keep buying seeing how Star Wars is now red hot for the first time in a long time. #sadbuttrue #toppsalwayswins #toppsistheonethatknocks
Old 02-09-2016, 12:02 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckycap View Post
Be prepared for voice and background character actor autos. The brand director on this has been hitting up a lot of them on Twitter.
If they're new signers I'm fine with this.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:32 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulkenburg View Post
Not that Topps would care, but that would kill the market for selling boxes. If I knew that each case had one great hit and others likely contained a medallion, I wouldn't touch a loose box. There's no way you could convince me that someone didn't already get the case hit and are dumping the other boxes. That already happens now, but would be multiplied greatly with such a horrible breakout that this release has.

It didn't hurt force awakens sales. Each case basically had one top 5 auto , cause the boxes would still had rare stuff to chase.

A lot of product like arrow and the hobbit have cards that were very limited in cases like sketches big autos. Star Trek is a per case for sketches. So nothing stopping these guys opening boxes till they get the hits and selling.

So i respectfully disagree that it would hurt box sales, in fact prolly make them cheaper as these guys want out of the boxes and not hold them. Still maybe get a rare insert or plate .
Old 02-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharard View Post
It didn't hurt force awakens sales. Each case basically had one top 5 auto , cause the boxes would still had rare stuff to chase.
Force Awakes was an outlier because many LCS didn't even receive a full case. The product was shipped out as boxes due to allocations being cut.

Most cases have a good hit. Some don't. Heck, I saw someone here who pulled TWO Mark Hamill autos out of a case of Chrome 2. You just never know.

I just think that Topps marketing it as having one big hit per case to entice case buyers is a bad idea. I don't think they would ever do it, but it was brought up here so I threw my two cents in. It would make loose boxes a riskier proposition than they already are.