Blowout Cards Forums
2017 bowman

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2016, 04:43 PM   #51 (permalink)

I do like that Topps took one of my suggestions and made parallels of the insert cards!
having a few added low numbered cards can only add value.
I would also like to see like a 10 card insert set that you only get 1 per case.
High Tek is kind of like this with the insert cards and they sell very well.
Think of a cool looking Rey insert card that only falls 1 in 10 cases! That would have some serious value and cost Topps nothing.
jdhaugh11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:49 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhaugh11 View Post
I do like that Topps took one of my suggestions and made parallels of the insert cards!
having a few added low numbered cards can only add value.
I would also like to see like a 10 card insert set that you only get 1 per case.
High Tek is kind of like this with the insert cards and they sell very well.
Think of a cool looking Rey insert card that only falls 1 in 10 cases! That would have some serious value and cost Topps nothing.
No way, that sucks. I guess it's great if you are just looking to sell everything but for people who actually collect sets, it sucks. I loved the design of all the inserts in High-Tek and would love to have them all, but there is no way I'm paying the going rate to put the sets together. That ruins some of the collecting fun for me. They can make as many parallels as they want to add value, but at least still make base sets and common insert sets attainable.
Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:23 PM   #53 (permalink)

pretty lame that they include the medallions as "hits" when they're only doing 1 hit per box at $90/box.
gdelan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:35 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdelan1 View Post
pretty lame that they include the medallions as "hits" when they're only doing 1 hit per box at $90/box.
Agree, I think I'll be staying away from this one if this proves to be true.

Also think that the demand mightn't be what it was for TFA Series One... the movie is out and probably finishing up in theatres soon. The anticipation is gone, the hype is dying down and while there might be some new fans/collectors in for the long ride, I'm sure there'll also be a lot who will have moved on to something else by the time this comes out....
Old 02-09-2016, 06:05 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewman View Post
No way, that sucks. I guess it's great if you are just looking to sell everything but for people who actually collect sets, it sucks. I loved the design of all the inserts in High-Tek and would love to have them all, but there is no way I'm paying the going rate to put the sets together. That ruins some of the collecting fun for me. They can make as many parallels as they want to add value, but at least still make base sets and common insert sets attainable.
I think some people like to put together sets that they know they are just 1 of a few that were able to do it.

Masterwork master set was pretty tough and obviously High Tek can be really tough depending on which one you are trying to put together.

I am not saying all the insert sets, but just have 1 that is really tough as a chase card.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
I think some people like to put together sets that they know they are just 1 of a few that were able to do it.

Masterwork master set was pretty tough and obviously High Tek can be really tough depending on which one you are trying to put together.

I am not saying all the insert sets, but just have 1 that is really tough as a chase card.
I am still mad how masterworks made SPs of the same characters, with only a 75 card base set. 51-75 should've been new characters.

I'm fine having 1-50 and all the inserts. I'll never get 51-75 because I won't shell out $10-$15/card, too rich for my blood.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:43 PM   #57 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Faulkenburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
I am still mad how masterworks made SPs of the same characters, with only a 75 card base set. 51-75 should've been new characters.

I'm fine having 1-50 and all the inserts. I'll never get 51-75 because I won't shell out $10-$15/card, too rich for my blood.
I could not agree more.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:51 PM   #58 (permalink)

So what product releases in non sports was profitable for breakers but cheap enough for you collectors that complain about these short printed cards. just wondering what to compare it too. Sounds like you want cards cheap but breakers not to make any money.

Not saying you don't have a right to complain, but wanted a product that was great for both. Think Tek came kinda close when it was first released.

Last edited by Sharard; 02-10-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Sharard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:11 PM   #59 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Faulkenburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharard View Post
So what product releases in non sports was profitable for breakers but cheap enough for you collectors that complain about these short printed cards. just wondering what to compare it too. Sounds like you want cards cheap but breakers not to make any money.

Not saying you don't have a right to complain, but wanted a product that was great for both. Think Tek came kinda close when it was first released.
The complaint is that the short printed cards were part of the base set. Tek handled this perfectly with the A and B variations. Those are SP, have great value and set collectors can easily justify not chasing them. Chrome, mass printing aside, is great as well for both set collectors and breakers looking for the big hits.

I personally loved the Masterwork set. I just wish they had handled 51-75 differently. It's a great set though and my sole gripe means little.

Last edited by Faulkenburg; 02-10-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Faulkenburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:54 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:

I feel like I'm in the minority on here a lot because I break like 1 box per release for fun and the random chance of hitting it big, whereas there's a few who are either busting cases or go nuts on the secondary market.

I like to be able to get a master set for a reasonable price and I don't chase all parallels.

I get that breakers love more numbered cards and SPs and variations and such, but for me it just makes it harder to get a base set in cases like Tek and Masterworks 51-75.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:05 PM   #61 (permalink)

Seeing this stuff makes me want to start collecting....
chicagobacon83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:57 AM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post

I think this was one of the best aspects of the set, and gives it value. It also makes sure you don't just get the set quickly and move on. I'd much rather enjoy building a set for months or years instead of just putting it right together and forgetting about it.

Only a handful of SPs were the same characters in the 1-50 set, the majority were different.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:04 PM   #63 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
I think this was one of the best aspects of the set, and gives it value. It also makes sure you don't just get the set quickly and move on. I'd much rather enjoy building a set for months or years instead of just putting it right together and forgetting about it.

Only a handful of SPs were the same characters in the 1-50 set, the majority were different.
I agree, there are plenty of easy sets to make for those who want that. Also high end sets should not be easy.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:39 PM   #64 (permalink)

Meaningless comment.. But I thought I would throw it out...

Topps changes way to many things last second....

Any way... Both my dist will only allow buyers to pre order 2 cases of this....
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:16 PM   #65 (permalink)

So this set is supposed to come out in like 27 days, yet Topps is barely talking about it and we as consumers are barely talking about it.
Topps has revealed zero new signers or anything really new or cool about it either.
There are supposed to be relics in this product, but what are they?
Also how often are the medallion cards?
I mean with 1 hit, you think there would be no need for medallions since there are autos, sketches, relics and plates!
Just thought I would start the talking.......or bashing, whatever you like!
Old 06-16-2016, 10:30 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
So this set is supposed to come out in like 27 days, yet Topps is barely talking about it and we as consumers are barely talking about it.
Topps has revealed zero new signers or anything really new or cool about it either.
There are supposed to be relics in this product, but what are they?
Also how often are the medallion cards?
I mean with 1 hit, you think there would be no need for medallions since there are autos, sketches, relics and plates!
Just thought I would start the talking.......or bashing, whatever you like!
I'm either too gun shy to talk about this one right now or my glass that was half full just got knocked over and now it's empty. Will wait for more info but will probably sell this one sealed.
PoPCulture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:32 PM   #67 (permalink)

Well on face book they did say something about this set when I made a comment on facebook about it.. Here is the quote

" We'll have some updates on TFA Chrome soon. Some of the confirmed signers are Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Andy Serkis, Carrie Fisher, John Boyega, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, Joonas Suotamo, Erik Bauersfeld, and Kenny Baker. New confirmed signers include Kipsang Rotich, Yayan Ruhian, and Mark Dodson with possibly some additional first-timers to be announced closer to release date.
Sharard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:49 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post

Yeah but 25 SP cards that fall 1 per box is nuts. Plus considering how prices spiked on this set its not easy to open multiple boxes. Buying in eBay or such they are $10-$15 ea, that's at least $250!

I'm not a flipper of product busting cases of these sets and definitely not wasting that much money on cardboard. Plus half of the SP cards are just different shots of characters from cards 1-50 versus new characters.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:04 PM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Well on face book they did say something about this set when I made a comment on facebook about it.. Here is the quote

" We'll have some updates on TFA Chrome soon. Some of the confirmed signers are Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Andy Serkis, Carrie Fisher, John Boyega, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, Joonas Suotamo, Erik Bauersfeld, and Kenny Baker. New confirmed signers include Kipsang Rotich, Yayan Ruhian, and Mark Dodson with possibly some additional first-timers to be announced closer to release date.
Pretty nice auto list but how many autos will each case yield with 1 hit per box? Also, wonder how many products they will stretch Erik Bauersfield's stickers into.
PoPCulture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:13 AM   #70 (permalink)

Well that news makes this product a little better, but still not enough to make me feel excited.
Say what you want about Evolution but compared to this product:
1) Evolution is cheaper
2) Evolution has 2 hits per box
3) Evolution had some cool looking base and inserts
4) Evolution had 8 new signers, with 2 being really good
Old 06-17-2016, 12:13 AM   #71 (permalink)
Banned - PBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post
Pretty nice auto list but how many autos will each case yield with 1 hit per box? Also, wonder how many products they will stretch Erik Bauersfield's stickers into.

Are they still using Duke Snyder in baseball? Lol
Livetheforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:53 AM   #72 (permalink)

Too many red flags with this set. Half a case for me...evolution is dropping like a rock and all my distributors have it and FA2 among many others at or below original cost...I'm sorry but Masterworks is the only thing that can save this year via Star Wars releases. IMO I'm not even sure how great that will be given the price point.

Just not enough bang for the buck here...my advice: buy some flawless soccer next week if you still can..lol
daviswr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:57 AM   #73 (permalink)

Let me think...one hit per box, manufactured relics, a release traditionally bought by sports card flippers, a drowned market.

I wouldn't touch with this a barge pole.
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:45 AM   #74 (permalink)

Agree with richo. Everyone please wrap your head around the fact that your $85 box of chrome could have a medallion as your hit! Yikes....
daviswr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:56 AM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviswr7 View Post
Agree with richo. Everyone please wrap your head around the fact that your $85 box of chrome could have a medallion as your hit! Yikes....
Yeah hopefully this isn't Chrome Series 2 bad and get as cheap as $40 a box, but this product looks like it should be closer to $60 a box IMO.