Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2016, 11:14 AM   #226 (permalink)

Does anyone else think Masterwork 2016 is overpriced? BO has cases of 2016 for $2k. A case of the previous Masterwork set is $2,275.
arek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:34 AM   #227 (permalink)

Ya I do think they are but most pre orders are sold out and now some places already getting it from secondary sources I guess. I think the price was around 1500 for pre order
Sharard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #228 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to eldavojohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by arek View Post
Does anyone else think Masterwork 2016 is overpriced? BO has cases of 2016 for $2k. A case of the previous Masterwork set is $2,275.
Hard to say until it comes out or at least we have a checklist. I will say if you pay that price you're guaranteed to get your case. Last time MW 2015 came out, I preordered 3 boxes from another entity and never got them.

I think if it was overpriced, BO wouldn't be getting any pre-orders on their allocated orders and they would be forced to drop it. That it remains at that price kinda indicates to me that they had plenty of buyers at lower prices and now they're down to a few more cases allocated to them. So they charge an arm and a leg for those final cases. Supply and demand. If you think they're gouging you, and haven't sold any cases at that price then it's going to hurt them when they don't process any volume on this release. You can wait it out and see closer to release -- I guess at this point there's really no other choice.

I think if you ask around most collectors will say they are already in on 2016 MW or wish they were able to be in on 2016 MW. Personally from what I did crack at high prices of 2015 MW, I made my money back and even got to keep the lesser cards. So I'm definitely in on 2016 MW and have skipped all that sticker nonsense that's getting pumped out right now.
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:37 PM   #229 (permalink)

BO originally had cases at $2,400, then lowered them to $2,200 and now at $2,000.

I don't see them lowering them anymore, but I also don't think they will go up.............unless we find out that Rey or Kylo Ren are signing, then we could see a spike!

BO works on small margins, so when a good product comes along they will try to make a good profit on those, if people are not paying that higher price, then they will lower prices!
jdhaugh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #230 (permalink)

Was 2016 Masterwork ever below $2000 for pre-order? I think most online dealers have basically driven the prices to secondary market prices right from the start. It used to be easy to pre-order cases for a little over cost, but now, online dealers have upped their profit margins so much that pre-order prices often resemble the mark up after hot sets started drying up.

The first Masterwork set could be pre-ordered for a while at $1300, and it took a little while after the set came out for the case prices to hit over $2000. Now that is the starting point. A $700 swing in pre-order prices is HUGE. How many cases are actually going to have anywhere close to $700 of added value?

High Tek is another example. It started out at what $700-750 per case, now 2016 is automatically $200 higher at pre-order prices.

Look at the flip side... TFA2 and Evolution (not even worth mentioning Chrome JvS) both started out at higher pre-order prices, and can now be bought lower. I pre-ordered two cases of Evolution at what I thought was a good prices, and while I STILL have not received them, I can already buy cases cheaper and the set is just two weeks old.

I get the fact that everybody is on the hunt for the handful of amazing cards in each release, but it hard to see how this is sustainable.
Darth Smittyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:48 PM   #231 (permalink)

I was able to pre order at a real good price at announcement but that window closed quickly. And Im pretty sure ill get it that price as my guy hasn't let me down yet on any pre order ( not counting fa1 beyond his control).

I am surprised at how high this got and how fast. I was expecting this at 1600 - 1700 not 2k. I think the price will come down myself. Not saying what I got it at, but if I sold my case at 1600, id still do ok.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:51 PM   #232 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Smittyous View Post
Was 2016 Masterwork ever below $2000 for pre-order? I think most online dealers have basically driven the prices to secondary market prices right from the start. It used to be easy to pre-order cases for a little over cost, but now, online dealers have upped their profit margins so much that pre-order prices often resemble the mark up after hot sets started drying up.

The first Masterwork set could be pre-ordered for a while at $1300, and it took a little while after the set came out for the case prices to hit over $2000. Now that is the starting point. A $700 swing in pre-order prices is HUGE. How many cases are actually going to have anywhere close to $700 of added value?

High Tek is another example. It started out at what $700-750 per case, now 2016 is automatically $200 higher at pre-order prices.

Look at the flip side... TFA2 and Evolution (not even worth mentioning Chrome JvS) both started out at higher pre-order prices, and can now be bought lower. I pre-ordered two cases of Evolution at what I thought was a good prices, and while I STILL have not received them, I can already buy cases cheaper and the set is just two weeks old.

I get the fact that everybody is on the hunt for the handful of amazing cards in each release, but it hard to see how this is sustainable.
As many have said. It is sustainable because the people that are purchasing these products have now changed. It is no longer niche group of non sport collectors buying this stuff up. Major sports collectors and breakers are tearing this stuff up as fast as they can get it. And to be honest, the sports collectors expectations are very low when any new product comes out. If they get a 30%-50% ROI they are happy. Every Star Wars product will sell out going forward. As has been stated before...where the die hard non sports collectors have fallen off dramatically, the sports collectors have picked the ball up and ran with it.

Even many of these crummy star wars releases we have had recently have better ROI's then most Sports Releases. But alas..all this has been said before in other threads.
daviswr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:52 PM   #233 (permalink)

I got my two cases for only a few hundred more then the price of one case right now and I know my guy will get me them

I dont ship outside the USA
nera20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:55 PM   #234 (permalink)

Most major distributors were at $150 per box, $1200 per case. Of course alot of that is allocated based on product purchased, bla bla bla.....but 2K is crazy money.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:31 PM   #235 (permalink)

I do understand that the demographics of SW case breakers has changed drastically. However, it is truly hard for me to imagine that even big ripper/flippers enjoy losing money. Unless you have a never ending cash supply, continuously losing money is not sustainable. It has also been stated here to just keep buying until bad luck changes to good. I don't see how that works for most people either. I am certainly not in that situation.

I think I might be in the minority here, but I am a collector. When I break a case, it is in hopes of finding amazing cards I want to keep in my collection. Sometimes it works other times it doesn't. I do attribute value to cards even if I keep them, so I do like to feel that I did well versus getting a junk case.

I would truly appreciate if some of you with great dealer contacts could PM me some references. As a one or two case breaker, I can't imagine that I am competition for anyone. As it stands now the way the pre-order pricing is going, I am getting priced out of the market. This stinks because I like breaking a case as much anyone else.

I am really interested in 2015 Chrome at $40 per box too, but have no idea where people are seeing this. Even with Blowout coupons, they are still close to $46 per box.
Darth Smittyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:49 PM   #236 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviswr7 View Post
Even many of these crummy star wars releases we have had recently have better ROI's then most Sports Releases.
Shhhh... they're listening.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:23 PM   #237 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Shhhh... they're listening.
lol ted. I think the cat's outta the bag here
Old 06-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #238 (permalink)

Quote:
lol ted. I think the cat's outta the bag here
The cats been out, skinned and whatever unmentionable can be done to a star wars break. When this is released, it will dominate a lot of breakers tv the first few days. And im sure we will start to see many group breaks in that section of the forum.

I just hope they don't ask like 2k for the group break cases.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:47 PM   #239 (permalink)

The only good thing about this being done as group breaks rather than people buying cases is that they wont have the cards in hand for at least a week to 5 days, so there is a buffer there for pricing to stay firm.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:56 PM   #240 (permalink)

I am prolly way off here but I think this will be different with a lot of these flippers. This is one product a lot are eyeing to help recover from the previous releases. I don't think we will see as many cheap prices as most know, if don't make a profit with this, might as well give up almost. This is as close as a sure thing if you got in early enough. But this could be the wizard of oz mentality I have for this product though
Old 06-17-2016, 08:15 PM   #241 (permalink)

Also take in account the number of cards you get per pack or in a box.
People might not realize this, but High Tek actually had as many boxes made as Chrome Series 2, but there was only 1 pack per box with High Tek and the cards had low print runs.

Masterwork will be similar, plus the autos will be on premium stock and on card.
The down parts are the large autograph checklist with probably several low value signers and the manufactured "hits".
If the sketch cards are higher quality and true one of ones, they get a few new big signers and the death star relics are a big hit, this product will very pretty solid I think.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:51 PM   #242 (permalink)

The good people of Blowout were good enough to flip my pre-ordered case of chrome into a few boxes of Masterwork. I will still buy a few chrome boxes to put together the set, but I'm getting disgusted with Topps having a set a month.
Jaysabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:55 AM   #243 (permalink)

Blowout now has this listed as a November 2 release. Did not see this posted anywhere else, apologize if it has already been mentioned.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #244 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtyfeet View Post
Blowout now has this listed as a November 2 release. Did not see this posted anywhere else, apologize if it has already been mentioned.
It was discussed yesterday in the TFA Chrome thread but no one had updated here so thanks for adding it to this one.
PoPCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:02 PM   #245 (permalink)

Quote:
Most major distributors were at $150 per box, $1200 per case. Of course alot of that is allocated based on product purchased, bla bla bla.....but 2K is crazy money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharard View Post
I was able to pre order at a real good price at announcement but that window closed quickly. And Im pretty sure ill get it that price as my guy hasn't let me down yet on any pre order ( not counting fa1 beyond his control).

I am surprised at how high this got and how fast. I was expecting this at 1600 - 1700 not 2k. I think the price will come down myself. Not saying what I got it at, but if I sold my case at 1600, id still do ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhaugh11 View Post
BO originally had cases at $2,400, then lowered them to $2,200 and now at $2,000.

I don't see them lowering them anymore, but I also don't think they will go up.............unless we find out that Rey or Kylo Ren are signing, then we could see a spike!

BO works on small margins, so when a good product comes along they will try to make a good profit on those, if people are not paying that higher price, then they will lower prices!
Price has dropped to $1900 on BO

Last edited by joudenjouden; 06-29-2016 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Changed store to BO
joudenjouden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:21 PM   #246 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysabz View Post
The good people of Blowout were good enough to flip my pre-ordered case of chrome into a few boxes of Masterwork. I will still buy a few chrome boxes to put together the set, but I'm getting disgusted with Topps having a set a month.
You should just buy a master of the forums here once people break it. Buying boxes lets TOPPS win haha. Don't buy until the inevitable price drop. This set will crash and burn easily unless they announce something mind blowing.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:52 AM   #247 (permalink)

Blowout has dropped prices on all 4 Star Wars pre-sales, some a few times

Chrome Force Awakens was $1,100, then $1,000 and now $925

Rogue One: Was $985 and now $925

Masterwork 2: Was $2,400, then $2,200, then $2,000 and now $1,900

High Tek 2: Was $850 and now $775
Old 06-30-2016, 12:23 PM   #248 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhaugh11 View Post
Blowout has dropped prices on all 4 Star Wars pre-sales, some a few times

Chrome Force Awakens was $1,100, then $1,000 and now $925

Rogue One: Was $985 and now $925

Masterwork 2: Was $2,400, then $2,200, then $2,000 and now $1,900

High Tek 2: Was $850 and now $775
I imagine it's because all of these products have been pushed out a few months. Seems like the closer we get to a release the higher the preorder price...which makes sense.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:33 PM   #249 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
You should just buy a master of the forums here once people break it. Buying boxes lets TOPPS win haha. Don't buy until the inevitable price drop. This set will crash and burn easily unless they announce something mind blowing.
You honestly think Masterworks will crash & burn?? lol

I do not think that retailers should be selling this as high as they are tho considering costs on cases are around $1200-1250. $1500 would be a good middle ground IMO.
Cujobyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:04 PM   #250 (permalink)

I think the pre-sale prices are dropping because not as many people are buying these sets... at least not at the initial hyped up price. Plus, with the number of sets coming out now, people just don't have enough money to be buying every set. But I personally am glad to see the pre-sale prices starting to drop and getting closer to where I think they should have started based on factory cost and SRP; pre-sale prices have been inflated for the past year or more. Maybe the sports guys are finally pulling back a bit and not going all in on every Star Wars release.
aggie4ever is online now   Reply With Quote