Blowout Cards Forums
super sox

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS


NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2016, 03:18 PM   #101 (permalink)
Tim
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulkenburg View Post
It's greed and price gouging.

/Rant
I feel your pain but it's not greed and price gouging, it's supply and demand.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:30 PM   #102 (permalink)
Member
 
kyle1707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujobyte View Post
^^^

ALSO you are not taking into account ALL the products they LOSE $$ on. And according to those I know, it's quite a long list lol.

Btw Kyle,

Why...

Do you....

Type like....

This? lol

Only have about 25% vision in one eye. hard for me to see...

No big deal.. Everyone asks... Makes it easier for me to read what I type
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:51 PM   #103 (permalink)
Member
 
Jackg1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,591
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulkenburg View Post
Honestly, I think I'm just upset that I (and many others) are being priced out of Star Wars cards since TFA1 and High Tek. Before that it was common to get boxes for $80-$85 and cases for $900 to $1000.

All of a sudden the breakers entered hard and heavy, and box prices shot up like crazy. My first few boxes of Tek were only $70 or so shipped. Then they quickly hit $100+.

And direct prices aren't going up this much. It's greed and price gouging.

/Rant
suppy and demand is all of a sudden greed and price gouging.
__________________
Official Blowout 2010 Topp Magic Refractor Autograph set collector! STAY AWAY FROM PATCH CARDS! Looking for Khalil Mack "I trade by common sense not book value"
"No one makes me bleed my own blood"
Jackg1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:55 PM   #104 (permalink)
Member
 
Brobocop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 5,304
Default

Double post.

Last edited by Brobocop; 03-31-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Brobocop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:57 PM   #105 (permalink)
Member
 
Brobocop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 5,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulkenburg View Post
Honestly, I think I'm just upset that I (and many others) are being priced out of Star Wars cards since TFA1 and High Tek. Before that it was common to get boxes for $80-$85 and cases for $900 to $1000.

All of a sudden the breakers entered hard and heavy, and box prices shot up like crazy. My first few boxes of Tek were only $70 or so shipped. Then they quickly hit $100+.

And direct prices aren't going up this much. It's greed and price gouging.

/Rant
I hear you and feel your frustration. Ever since Walking Dead Series Two came out, I've gotten priced out more and more on non-sports releases. I then came to the realization that of how much crap companies put out that stores and distributors lose their ass on. When a product is hot and actually sees demand outpace supply, I don't blame them for marking things up and trying to recover what they have lost and previous products. It sucks but think about how sucky it is to lose money on product after product like some of these stores do. That to me is much worse. The stores really take some of the biggest gambles, not the people opening wax.

I remember being irate over being priced out of Walking Dead Series Two. I opened a ton of Series One when it came out and thought my stores would take care of me. Wrong. Dead wrong. Learned a valuable lesson though, Don't underestimate THE OTHER GUY'S GREED!
Brobocop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:00 PM   #106 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,780
Default

Pick your poison either we get prices like chrome 15 and journey or stuff like FA and tek. Either way it well benefit either the buyer or seller. There is a very short windows where it can benefit both, then either too much or its low print .

Think tek would be priced be where they are now if the printed 15000 cases?
Sharard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:04 PM   #107 (permalink)
Member
 
Faulkenburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,122
Send a message via AIM to Faulkenburg
Default

"Supply and Demand" is one of those terms that is used more often than it should. It's also used incorrectly more often than it is applied in legitimate market conditions.

Supply and Demand in economic equilibrium doesn't have the swings you see in a market like cards where everything is derived from artificial scarcity. Otherwise you wouldn't see TFA series 1 go from $160 a box to $115 in less than 30 days. That doesn't mean that the $160 was the demanded price. Just like the prices for Masterwork now are not the demanded price. It's what a small segment of the population are willing to pay at this time.

Unless the cases are loaded, this product will drop in price after release back to ~MSRP. Again, the high initial prices are not a product of supply/demand.

These high prices are temporary and the market will eventually correct itself. So yes, I stand by "greed" as the primary motivator behind the recent increase in price...not supply/demand.

Then again, perhaps I don't know what in the hell I'm talking about and everyone here was an Econ major.
__________________
Currently Seeking: /25 or less Ezra Bridger Taylor Gray
Faulkenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:13 PM   #108 (permalink)
Tim
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulkenburg View Post
"Supply and Demand" is one of those terms that is used more often than it should. It's also used incorrectly more often than it is applied in legitimate market conditions.

Supply and Demand in economic equilibrium doesn't have the swings you see in a market like cards where everything is derived from artificial scarcity. Otherwise you wouldn't see TFA series 1 go from $160 a box to $115 in less than 30 days. That doesn't mean that the $160 was the demanded price. Just like the prices for Masterwork now are not the demanded price. It's what a small segment of the population are willing to pay at this time.

Unless the cases are loaded, this product will drop in price after release back to ~MSRP. Again, the high initial prices are not a product of supply/demand.

These high prices are temporary and the market will eventually correct itself. So yes, I stand by "greed" as the primary motivator behind the recent increase in price...not supply/demand.

Then again, perhaps I don't know what in the hell I'm talking about and everyone here was an Econ major.
On MW presale prices you are mostly correct, but that's the exception. I am not talking about presells.

On TFA S1 you couldn't be more wrong. TFA WAS going for $160 per box - I sold several at $150-$160 per. The reason? Demand for a Rey redemption auto. The prices are down to $120 now. Why? Demand no longer exists for that $2000 card because it's possible that Ridley isn't signing. Perfect example of supply and demand.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:13 PM   #109 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,780
Default

And I get that some of these places need to make up for losses but there high price out the door for a new release made me find a new place to buy at a price thats more in line for a new release. These places are going to price them selves out of people going to them for a new product. Why in the world would i pay 200 240 a box for this when with a bit of research you can find it more on the 160 to 180 a box.
Sharard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:30 PM   #110 (permalink)
Member
 
Brobocop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 5,304
Default

Call it what you want, but what do you say to a store who buys a product at $85 and watches it dip below that price? They have to make that up somewhere.
Brobocop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:35 PM   #111 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 4,705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharard View Post
And I get that some of these places need to make up for losses but there high price out the door for a new release made me find a new place to buy at a price thats more in line for a new release. These places are going to price them selves out of people going to them for a new product. Why in the world would i pay 200 240 a box for this when with a bit of research you can find it more on the 160 to 180 a box.
Sharard, the problem with the "little places" that sell for $160-180 in presell:

When the product comes out, and these places get cut on harsh allocations, you are out of luck. Unless you get lucky. Or they cut you and then resell for the going rate. We've seen this time and time again.

Lot of people know I sell a lot of sealed product, and I rarely sell in presale due to cuts. I'll probably get 4-6 cases of MW, but I could only get 1-2. Or I could get 10, who knows lol. We buy a lot of magic though, so I generally get everything I ask for from my awesome sales reps!! (in case they are reading this).
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:48 PM   #112 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,780
Default

I haven't had any of my orders cut for what i ordered except fa1 like every one else. Other than that I got every case i preordered. Guess Ill see.
Sharard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:54 AM   #113 (permalink)
Member
 
Carrbeaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulkenburg View Post
No, I get this. I'm in healthcare and completely understand that margins vary among products (services in my case). I understand that there are numerous fixed costs that need to be recouped.

I work with charge master files and see RVUs daily, in the hundreds of millions of dollars when annualized. I see slim margins on things like flu shots, even loses on PPD tests.

However, if you need to rely on a product with a 70% markup to "save you", then you need to reconsider your business model. Especially on a product that hasn't even been released.
Comparing a trading card to healthcare is the definition of apples and oranges. One is a luxury, the other is a necessity for survival.

I never used the term 'save me' in reference to Master Work, so you are putting words in my mouth.

Like Cujo also said, many times we get allocated on high demand product, so smaller shops are making 70% on a whopping 2-4 cases.
__________________
If you ask me what is the least I will take, then I am going to respond with, "What is the most you are willing to pay?"
Carrbeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:57 AM   #114 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,325
Default

George Lucas autos just confirmed..this set is going to be big!
baytowntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:01 AM   #115 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 4,939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baytowntex View Post
George Lucas autos just confirmed..this set is going to be big!
Where do you see this? I checked the facebook page and didn't see a mention of it
Bryanjs14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:14 AM   #116 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,325
Default

twitter...
baytowntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:30 AM   #117 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 4,939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baytowntex View Post
twitter...

Whoa just saw them, holy crap that's amazing never thought they would get him for any more sets, and on card too!
Bryanjs14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:30 AM   #118 (permalink)
Member
 
Faulkenburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,122
Send a message via AIM to Faulkenburg
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjs14 View Post
Whoa just saw them, holy crap that's amazing never thought they would get him for any more sets, and on card too!
Which twitter feed? I wanna see them!!!!
__________________
Currently Seeking: /25 or less Ezra Bridger Taylor Gray
Faulkenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:34 AM   #119 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,325
Default

im saving all my money for this
baytowntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:02 AM   #120 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baytowntex View Post
im saving all my money for this
Guess your just going to jump in every thread and announce a BS signing all day since its APRIL FOOLS!!!

Bigeazy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:11 AM   #121 (permalink)
Banned - PBM
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Phx
Posts: 131
Default

Guys. The date.....

Don't go ordering extra lol
Livetheforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:14 AM   #122 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,325
Default

just ordered 2 more cases.George Lucas autos!
wow
baytowntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:27 AM   #123 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,613
Default

I heard they are going to make a 16 way auto with all the big names including:
Natalie Portman, Samuel L. Jackson, Ewan Mcgregor and Hayden Christensen!
I even heard that they are resurrecting Christopher Lee so he can sign this amazing card!
jdhaugh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:28 AM   #124 (permalink)
Member
 
AceGambit3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,604
Default

I feel the Admiral calling out right now....he's saying 3 words.....
AceGambit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:50 AM   #125 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,780
Default

In same news, topps has come out and said they are fulfilling all redemptions with dual ford and Rey autos , and apologize for 2015 chrome
Sharard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.