Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

View Poll Results: Does 4 beers a day make you a drunk?
Yes, you're on the highway to Al-Anon! 35 53.03%
No, this is perfectly fine, nothing to see here! 31 46.97%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does 3-4 beers per day make you a drunk?

Where I live, Labatt's Blue is provided at ridiculously low prices, $20 for a 28-pack (plus deposit of course). All this got me to thinking about how convenient this size of case is for weekly planning purposes - 4 per day for 7 days, then another at next week's grocery run. Does this make me a drunk?
hairysasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Not a drunk, but maybe an alcoholic.

Personally, I think it's actually healthy to have a beer or glass of wine each day IF you're of age to do so. Not sure about 3 or 4, but 1 is good for you in my opinion.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

It does not make you anything yet, but it will put you on the highway. After a few weeks, it will be 5 a night and then up and up.

Check me out on Sport Lots.
http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=mkeil250
fungi2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to SethMurphy

i don't see a problem with it, if you are just consuming a couple through the evening, relaxing at home with the family. I tend to have 1 maybe 2 a couple nights a week (Labatt Blue Light bottles for me), but if you are drinking 3-4 in a hurry, and doing stupid things, then you might have a problem. It's all about how you can control yourself and your alcohol. This is advice from someone who did have a drinking problem a few years back.

Just be sure you aren't drinking to cover up something, emotional pain, physical pain... don't hide in the bottle.

PCs - Cito Culver, Ryan Callahan, Ryan Nassib college uni, Prince Amukamara autos #/25 or less, Jason Pierre-Paul, Eli Manning autos, Richter/Messier/Leetch
SethMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lobo_hacker

-4 beers per day, in and of itself, does not make one an alcoholic. Alcoholism is an addiction, disorder, or manifestation of traditional psychological disability(s).

4 drinks per day, every day, is likely not healthy not demonstrative of a relatively content and well-adjusted individual. If a person must drink 4 drinks per day with any sort of regularity, i would suggest seeing a qualified counselor to discuss this manifestation. It could be a very minor thing related to issues easily addressed, or could be an indicator of a serious and life-threatening problem.

And a good deal of research does point to 1 drink per day (red wine moreso than beer) having the potential for health benefits. But that's one, in moderation.

Good luck.

lobo_hacker
lobo_hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

MasterPattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

There are a ton of functional addicts in the world, using of all kinds of mind altering substances, pills, pot, booze, etc. The human population of this planet, overall, is not a sober one. So, if you do have a problem, welcome to the club!

When I feel like I'm drinking too much alcohol, I ask myself, can I stop drinking all booze for 6 months? If I think I CAN'T have a good time at a party or at home by myself without having a drink, then I think I have a problem. Plus, it's kind of secretly hilarious to be sober at a party when everyone else is hammered.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

I had to beat my dads record he had of 75 days of atleast two drinks. I went 110 days with atleast two drinks. I wouldn't say 4 beers in a day makes you a drunk or anything bad. I just had a physical and the dr said up to 3 beers a day is good for the health to some extent. I don't drink as much anymore but I probably average a beer or two a day for the week.

Granted as others have said, it now takes me upwards of 8 beers to even feel good now depending on the type.
wolffer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
Where I live, Labatt's Blue is provided at ridiculously low prices, $20 for a 28-pack (plus deposit of course). All this got me to thinking about how convenient this size of case is for weekly planning purposes - 4 per day for 7 days, then another at next week's grocery run. Does this make me a drunk?
No, but it will more than likely may you fat...
golferphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferphil View Post
No, but it will more than likely may you fat...
Not true at all.. Just depends on how healthy you live. There are no findings that show that drinking beer makes you fat.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffer12 View Post
Not true at all.. Just depends on how healthy you live. There are no findings that show that drinking beer makes you fat.
Is this a joke?
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to SethMurphy

what makes someone who drinks a lot of beer fat is a sedintary (sp, wrong word) live style. If you just drink, eat chips and lounge on the couch, then yeah you're going to be fat and probably die by 45. But if a couple beers is just part of a normal, healthy lifestyle, you can survive just fine.

I drank a BUTT-TON in college, but was still a very competitive D2 swimmer.... it's all about exercise and rationing

PCs - Cito Culver, Ryan Callahan, Ryan Nassib college uni, Prince Amukamara autos #/25 or less, Jason Pierre-Paul, Eli Manning autos, Richter/Messier/Leetch
SethMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
Is this a joke?
No why would this be a joke? There has been no correlation between weight gain and drinking beer. Drinking beer will not make you fat! Not doing any physical activity in addition to drinking beer, eatting, and living unhealthy will make you gain weight.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Trust me, I tried to gain weight drinking beer and it didn't happen. That amount of carbs and calories just isn't enought to make one gain weight off drinking beer. I am no where near being over weight, I would say I am close to being under weight at 165 and have been drinking pretty frequent since 2003 (meaning 2 drinks a day on average)
Old 01-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

I see no reason whatsoever for you not to drink 3 or 4 beers a day. A 6er a day really isn't that bad to take the edge off. Enjoy.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Quote:
No why would this be a joke? There has been no correlation between weight gain and drinking beer. Drinking beer will not make you fat! Not doing any physical activity in addition to drinking beer, eatting, and living unhealthy will make you gain weight.
This reasonining is flat out insane. By this logic I could eat anything I want as long as I workout - which is just flat out not true - diet is like 80% of your weight.

Sure if all you did was get drunk all day and not eat you'd lose weight because the total caloric intake would be less - but that isn't reasonable.

Pure alcohol contains almost 7 calories per gram - that's nearly twice as much as a carbohydrate or a protein gram.

Alcohol is the first thing your body will process - before it goes to fat or protein - the act of drinking itself slows down your bodies ability to burn fat because you are burning the alcohol first.

Is drinking 2 beers a day going to make you fat? No
Does it postpone your ability to lose weight? Absolutely as the body burns the alcohol first.
Does it serve no nutritional value other then to add calories to whatever your diet already is? Yep

Last edited by asujbl; 01-17-2011 at 02:07 PM.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Here you go.. Drinking beer will not make you fat...

Ah, the beer belly. We all know the common thinking - drinking beer causes you to be fat. But is this really the case?

A new study shows that it's not what you're drinking, it's how much you're drinking in one sitting that causes weight gain. Specifically the study, which was led by Martin Bobak of University College London, and which looked at 28,594 middle-aged Eastern Europeans, showed that those who drank more than 80 grams of alcohol (not beer - alcohol) in one sitting at least once a month have a waist size about a half-inch bigger than people who drink the same amount over a week. The men and women who drank primarily beer were no more likely to have bigger waist sizes than those who drank primarily wine or spirits.

These are pretty significant findings for anyone who loves beer but has been afraid to partake for fear of getting fat. Rationally we should know that too much of anything will make you fat, but for some reason beer has gotten a worse rap than other spirits (maybe thanks to the low-carb Atkins craze?).

The study also didn't find a link between drinking and body weight in men, and found only a small effect on women's weight that could be linked to drinking. It's also interesting to note that binge drinkers weren't necessarily heavier than non-binge drinkers, they just had more belly fat.

Want to drink but don't want to binge? Below are the approximate grams of alcohol for some popular beverage choices.
o A bottle of wine (70 grams)
o A six-pack o beer (84 grams)
o Six 1.5 oz shots of 80-proof spirits (84 grams)

This is an important reminder of some good advice we've all been hearing for years - everything in moderation.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
This reasonining is flat out insane. By this logic I could eat anything I want as long as I workout - which is just flat out not true - diet is like 80% of your weight.
I take it you haven't ever been an athlete. I know I can eat anything and everything I want and have a high caloric intake but I make sure to excerise once a week for atleast 2 hours. Sure genetics might have some influence on this but not 100%.

Michael Phelps has an unreal amount of calories he intakes every day and he isn't close to becoming fat. Look I eat fast food 5-6 times a week and just had my physical today and everything is wonderful on me. It just means that if you want to live that life style you have to be willing to workout and keep active.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
I take it you haven't ever been an athlete. I know I can eat anything and everything I want and have a high caloric intake but I make sure to excerise once a week for atleast 2 hours. Sure genetics might have some influence on this but not 100%.

Michael Phelps has an unreal amount of calories he intakes every day and he isn't close to becoming fat. Look I eat fast food 5-6 times a week and just had my physical today and everything is wonderful on me. It just means that if you want to live that life style you have to be willing to workout and keep active.
Do you know how many calories he burns per workout? Swimming absolutley smokes your whole body, he needs all those calories that's why he's not fat.

"Always with them negative waves"- Oddball
"Uh-uh, I don't tip"- Mr. Pink
ajlaxmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #20 (permalink)

1 shot of tequila a day to get going is not only good for the body but also the mind as well!!!
allday_vikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #21 (permalink)

The key to a good diet is burn more than what you take in.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Here you go.. Drinking beer will not make you fat...

Ah, the beer belly. We all know the common thinking - drinking beer causes you to be fat. But is this really the case?

A new study shows that it's not what you're drinking, it's how much you're drinking in one sitting that causes weight gain. Specifically the study, which was led by Martin Bobak of University College London, and which looked at 28,594 middle-aged Eastern Europeans, showed that those who drank more than 80 grams of alcohol (not beer - alcohol) in one sitting at least once a month have a waist size about a half-inch bigger than people who drink the same amount over a week. The men and women who drank primarily beer were no more likely to have bigger waist sizes than those who drank primarily wine or spirits.

These are pretty significant findings for anyone who loves beer but has been afraid to partake for fear of getting fat. Rationally we should know that too much of anything will make you fat, but for some reason beer has gotten a worse rap than other spirits (maybe thanks to the low-carb Atkins craze?).

The study also didn't find a link between drinking and body weight in men, and found only a small effect on women's weight that could be linked to drinking. It's also interesting to note that binge drinkers weren't necessarily heavier than non-binge drinkers, they just had more belly fat.

Want to drink but don't want to binge? Below are the approximate grams of alcohol for some popular beverage choices.
o A bottle of wine (70 grams)
o A six-pack o beer (84 grams)
o Six 1.5 oz shots of 80-proof spirits (84 grams)

This is an important reminder of some good advice we've all been hearing for years - everything in moderation.
Plus some people eat like pigs when they drink!!! 1 can of beer usually equals 140 calories x 8=1120 + 2000 from eating= 3120.. That's a ton of calories considering most drunks don't workout as well!!!
Old 01-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #23 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

I do know this.. If I had 6 shots in one setting it would be an awesome night...
Old 01-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Not a drunk, but maybe an alcoholic.

Personally, I think it's actually healthy to have a beer or glass of wine each day IF you're of age to do so. Not sure about 3 or 4, but 1 is good for you in my opinion.
Wine...not Beer.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #25 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddie84 View Post
Wine...not Beer.
again this is another misinformed post. It is any alcohol.