Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question storing high-end cards

What are the best holders to store my high-end cards ($200-$1200 range)? I've heard people say that screw downs are not good for the cards. I have some one-touch magnetic holders but the cards do move around a little bit in them... What do you guys use?
mwdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Most of mine are in sleeves and top loads. Maybe not the best but I've found it much easier to store them (they're then placed in the shoebox mosterboxes (those that are hard to ID I use the back of a penny sleeve package and write the description and/or book value down on them and them place them in one of the zip lock penny sleeve bags).
Old 09-10-2008, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

I use One-Touch magnetic holders for mine, then store them in an empty exquisite box. If you have the right-size holder, it fits most cards perfectly. Other wise, penny sleeve and top loader in a team bag or zip lock like fish says.

Low-End Kobe and Kevin Durant autos.
Topps Signature Autographs that I don't have (CP3, Dennis Rodman, Ray Allen, Eric Gordon, Russel Westbrook)
deuxmachinax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

The one-touch magnetic holders seem to be the right thickness for patch cards but the new UD nhl Cup cards move a little from side to side and up/down. I don't think it will do any damage but I thought I'd ask around to see if there is a better option.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdonald View Post
The one-touch magnetic holders seem to be the right thickness for patch cards but the new UD nhl Cup cards move a little from side to side and up/down. I don't think it will do any damage but I thought I'd ask around to see if there is a better option.
Yeah, I just bought a bunch of magnetic holders for the first time mostly for Cup cards. For how little I'll move them around I'm hoping the sliding isn't too big of an issue...at least the corners are okay due to the design of the holders. Plus, probably a total of zero of my cards came out of the tins mint

The magnetis also fit in the monster shoeboxes nicely. I put each holder in a team bag just to keep from scratching, etc.
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightbe View Post
Yeah, I just bought a bunch of magnetic holders for the first time mostly for Cup cards. For how little I'll move them around I'm hoping the sliding isn't too big of an issue...at least the corners are okay due to the design of the holders. Plus, probably a total of zero of my cards came out of the tins mint

The magnetis also fit in the monster shoeboxes nicely. I put each holder in a team bag just to keep from scratching, etc.
Hardly any cards (high-end) come out of any packaging mint. The base cards are almost always good though! (f****ng irony)

Topps Signature Autographs that I don't have (CP3, Dennis Rodman, Ray Allen, Eric Gordon, Russel Westbrook)
Old 09-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxmachinax View Post
Hardly any cards (high-end) come out of any packaging mint. The base cards are almost always good though! (f****ng irony)
Lol...I've gotten a high number of dinged Cup base cards too. If you send serialized cards back for damage, what do they do?
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightbe View Post
Lol...I've gotten a high number of dinged Cup base cards too. If you send serialized cards back for damage, what do they do?
UD replaces serialized cards now. They used to not care about them. I've sent them a dual patch card before and got a fleer retail pack in exchange. lol.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

I store my high-end cards in a top-loader and a sleeve. I then put them in a monsterbox.I store them in a closet where they will stay until my death (LOL).

Kent
Kent Clements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

OK, what I'm using is probably fine then. I am wondering though, what exactly is it that gets damaged on the card by using a screwdown? If the case gets closed too tight, does something happen to the card's surface? I could see if there was something very small between the case cover and the card that this could make a dent or impression in the cards surface.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdonald View Post
OK, what I'm using is probably fine then. I am wondering though, what exactly is it that gets damaged on the card by using a screwdown? If the case gets closed too tight, does something happen to the card's surface? I could see if there was something very small between the case cover and the card that this could make a dent or impression in the cards surface.
The sides of the card can get scraped if you're not careful screwing it down in place. I really wouldn't recommend them except for cards that are just basic size. (base cards)

Old 09-10-2008, 10:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

worse yet in high heat they'll stick to the card surface then when you go to take it out of the case the card will come with it totally ruining it!
Old 09-10-2008, 11:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

i heard pskell likes to store his cards in them screw downs and snap holders
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

What kind of screw down holder are you guys using?? I haven't had any problem with 80 and 120pt magnetic holders or screw downs. Do you guys get the ones with edge gaurds??? They're pretty cheap considering the card your perserving

I have dinged a corner ever so slightly when putting a 80pt in a thick protective sleeve...Ohhh that's always painful to see

Collecting Brandon Phillips, Barry Larkin and Jesse Winker
Bigblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:18 AM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
i heard pskell likes to store his cards in them screw downs and snap holders

I cringe every time I hear the word "screwdown" mentioned. I die a little inside
Old 09-11-2008, 10:48 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskell02 View Post
I cringe every time I hear the word "screwdown" mentioned. I die a little inside
I hear ya. I have a bunch of cards in screwdowns that have been in storage in Mississippi for 4 years now. I'm probably getting all that stuff back in January, I hope there isn't too much damage. I had PSA 10 worthy Gagne, Richards, LeCavalier & Hossa rookies from Upper Deck that I hadn't bothered to send when we got chased out by Hurricane Katrina.

Hopefully they made it.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

I had the same problem with the screwdowns (the 110 points) after having them in those cases, for almost a year the card would stick to the top surface on about 75% of them. I've bought about 70 of these holders and it makes me sick to know that i should' ve went with the magnetic ones. Do the magnetic ones have that same issue? I recieved a magnetic one from donruss, that the magnet part was gold colored not silver. But it had no name brand- any ideas???
armitron187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #18 (permalink)

After reading this thread, I took all of the cards I had in screwdowns out, which was only about 10. About half of them were stuck to the face of the screwdown (Not so bad as to damage the cards). One thing I noticed is that if the recession in the screwdwon was a little oversized, the card was fine. I'm guessing that the magnetic ones will do the same thing over time if the card is too big and is sanwiched between the plates of plastic.
Check out my photobucket by clicking on my homepage in the drop down list under my username. Looking for any Twins cards I don't have, and Mickey Mantle refractors that I don't have. I will trade for bait, on occasion. 2011 Topps Chrome auto set completed!!
stumpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:58 PM   #19 (permalink)

I think we could all run into this problem....finding out what thickness a card is can be a pain and painfully expensive too.

If you're putting 120pt cards in a 110pt screw down well...the cards going to get sandwiched....but it is hard to tell when you're putting it in.

Does anyone know if Topps, UD or any of these companies have information telling you the exact thickness of the different cards...I've never found it

Or does anyone make a set of standards....cards that are models of 120pt, 80pt, 180pt ect.... This would be soooooooo easy to do and make finding the right holder easy and safe!

Collecting Brandon Phillips, Barry Larkin and Jesse Winker
Bigblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

Easiest way to figure the thickness of a card is to find 18 standard base cards (10pt) and stack them up next to the GU that you are trying to find the thickness of. Add up the number that it takes to equal the height of the GU and multiply by 10. That gives you the exact thickness, pending that the 10 pt cards are actually 10 pt.