Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2008, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2
Default Practice does make Perfect (dog photos)!

Photos from last week (was running my dogs as a helping handler):

Well yesterday got to head out to one of my new favorite places on this earth, Dunn Creek, a pheasant farm in Laingsburg for whats routinely called a walk up hunt (or clean up hunt as they did a tower shoot earlier that morning). We broke off into 3 groups, each with 7 hunters. Two groups had 2 dogs, one group had 1, and he took the smaller field. Bailey and Zeus were all to eager to help and before a shot was fired we had already collected 4 birds! Amazing enough even more Zeus was the one that found those! Those that don't know, Zeus is my oh so lovable black lab...but prior to yesterday, my opinion had figured he'd make a better lap dog than a hunter. Well he brought his A game as did Bailey. Both dogs were pointing birds (another 1st and huge feat for Zeus) and finding unrecovered birds from the Tower Hunt. When all was said and done we walked back to the lodge with 19 birds (which by the way I found out my vest only holds 14). I don't think the guys I was guiding could of been any happier. I think of the 19, they only found 1 or 2 of those birds, the rest were done by the dogs. Sure makes for a proud Dad when you've got 7 guys back at the Lodge talking up your dogs! Oh I can't wait till this afternoon, Bailey and Zeus convinced me to head up to Maple Rapids and see if we can't get some old tuff wild birds.

Photos from Today:

Given how well things are progressing right now, by this time next year think I'm trading in my opening day of Bow Season for a week in the Great Plains watching my dogs in their full glory! Oh...Dad can't be any prouder...After 7 years I got my first "wild" pheasant (26 bars on the tail)!

Old 11-07-2008, 10:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

dude i so wanna go hunting. stupid urban area.
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Best part Capt...that bird I got today (also flushed to hens)...was on heavily hunted public land! And for my confidence...1 shot and I stoned him (this coming from the guy last weekend with 30+ mph winds couldn't of shot his was out of a paper bag if I was in it).
Old 11-07-2008, 10:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am jealous. What a great experience. I live over by Kalamazoo and the natural pheasants are gone with the subdivisions. I haven't been pheasant hunting in probably 15 years and I sure do miss it. I probably miss a wild game dinner with pan fried pheasant. Too all yall city slickers this is living...
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default More fun with the dogs :)

YouTube - Pheasant Hunt at Dunn Creek March 16 2009

Its 3min and 8 sec you may never get back...but man I had fun making it! Also helps prior to this there was a 200 bird tower hunt on Monday (03/16) that my dogs worked one of the retrieving stations for, but these guys missed their fair share of birds and left lots (probably close to 20% for the walkup). I know with Bailey and Zues hlp we got somewhere between 15 and 20. Had some great double points, and this was the 2nd to last bird we got. The last one was probably the best, it flushed and the guys dropped it in the pond (just to the right of the video).....that bird actually ran so fast it was running on water. But then again shoot at me and send 2 dogs hot on my tail and I can pick up the pace too

Old 03-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

The dogs are really cute!
Alerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just in case anyones interested...here are some photos from today (04/18/09)..Had an 800 bird hunt tower hunt in which I handled my dogs from one of the handler stations. This is 4x the normal amount of birds)...total carnage!! I think my dogs ended up with well over 100 retieives for the day. Biggest downfall..they waited until 9:30 and temps were already upper 50's (ended mid 70's)..but for a lab thats warm. Luckily they put out extra water stations...as you can see in the first pic...Zues had no problems using the ditch!

Then we had a little issue....long story short, had lots of birds in and around the tower, most crippled (weak birds...most busted their wings on branches)..but man did they want to run. Bailey (my Weimaraner) I think bolted in on one and ended up tearing a big chunk of skin (luckily didnt damange any ribs and/or puncture anything)...but she did get 2 stitches in the field..but prior to that we used some Bag Balm and duct tape...taped her up, then put on her field jacket (which in hind site should of been on anyways)...but makes for a great, if not funny photo)! Funny or bad part she hunted the rest of the day with no problems. I did opt to keep her out of the walk up as she was a little tired and starting to limp (in human years she's 60, so a little gimp is ok with me).

But the walkup wasn't great...but did get this shot! My lab on full point...all and all I am a very very very happy papa tonight and all three of us are super tired after 7+ hours of hunting!
Old 04-18-2009, 08:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

those dogs are absolutely gorgeous!!!
ronlabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

beautiful dogs! I loved this post! glad to see some people out there are still interested in the classic and enjoyable things in life.
biodole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I try not to update this all that often, but with the comments I get I figure a fun update every now and then doesnt hurt. If it came down to cards or my dogs...the dogs win.

I have so much fun doing this..just wish I'd of gotten some tip $$ for the work today. If Bailey has to go to the vet (either for staples to be removed or an infection, I could be out a few hundred bucks). Plus side beverages were free and had a really good brisket for lunch! But all in all almost 12 hours of work for me today. Best part had to be the compliments I got about my dogs couldnt make me happier. They preformed pretty good given their lack of formal training (all done by yours truely..they have the collars but I rarely use them..its more as a constant reminder they're not to break into the field for a down'd bird prior to the signal horn) and for the most part they weren't even begging for brisket scraps (I'm the only one that doesnt kennel his dogs when we head back to the lodge, mine are left free to roam and enjoy any attention that they can seek out or that comes their way).

I've got a new meaning for dog tired thats for sure..my crew hasnt moved in 2 hours! I get a tail wag from Zeus, but both him and Bailey arent moving a muscle..and if I wasnt packing for New Mexico I'd of long been showered and crashed in my bed.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

love the grey dog
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
love the grey dog
Thats Bailey my 8 1/2 yr old Female Blue Weimaraner

Zues is my 3 yr old Black Lab (actually an xmas puppy...DOB 12/25/05).
Old 04-18-2009, 09:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Fish like the side pocket on the dog's field jacket. Is that where you put your flask ?

Had my girls out for a run and then a "swim" today out back. The wife bought a kiddie pool and they jump in after tennis balls. Really want to tkae them to a lake and let em go at it. My one ripped her nail on a tree root chasing a ball. Wife was going nuts but I got the bleeding to stop but she is on IR for a while til the nail grows back over the entire vein.

They're almost 3 now and lots of fun. Even thought they ae sisters they are complete opposites in personality.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

Bam - no pockets on the vest, just a ripple showing in the photo. I've got it even better than that...if need be my coat has lots of pockets, but I've got a radio being a handler and just need to mention I'm empty and amazing enough a gator comes by shortly with a new one