Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2008, 03:39 AM   #76 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobbigshow View Post
I would buy it now (or in the next few months) once the economy turns around hopefully so will all of the cards.
Now I know we've all been having some fun with this thread, but you are joking right? I think everyone has to know at this point that the economic trend we are experiencing can not, and will not have an upturn for years. This country is hemmorrhaging jobs and our lending institutions are so broke they can't even cover the loans they've guaranteed, let alone underwrite new ones. So what about this makes you believe there is going to be a quick or imminent recovery? If anything everyone should be saving what they can now for the future, because it's looking like it's going to get very rough.

My advice, I wouldn't be worried about buying up pieces of cardboard with grown men pictured on them. If you want to invest in something invest in your own well being and security for the future. Start going green and conserving energy wherever and whenever you can, upgrade to a hybrid vehicle, buy reserve stores of non perishable foods, pay off any debt you may have. That is the best possible use of any extra funds anyone has, anything else at this point and time is really an exercise in futility.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do though. On the plus side, the older cardboard should burn nicely when you need heat.
tarzanlovesjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:01 PM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzanlovesjane View Post
Now I know we've all been having some fun with this thread, but you are joking right? I think everyone has to know at this point that the economic trend we are experiencing can not, and will not have an upturn for years. This country is hemmorrhaging jobs and our lending institutions are so broke they can't even cover the loans they've guaranteed, let alone underwrite new ones. So what about this makes you believe there is going to be a quick or imminent recovery? If anything everyone should be saving what they can now for the future, because it's looking like it's going to get very rough.

My advice, I wouldn't be worried about buying up pieces of cardboard with grown men pictured on them. If you want to invest in something invest in your own well being and security for the future. Start going green and conserving energy wherever and whenever you can, upgrade to a hybrid vehicle, buy reserve stores of non perishable foods, pay off any debt you may have. That is the best possible use of any extra funds anyone has, anything else at this point and time is really an exercise in futility.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do though. On the plus side, the older cardboard should burn nicely when you need heat.
Sure, a Hybrid Vehicle is great! Just think of all the land that had to get mined to get all that nickel to create those huge batteries. I mean I'm sure all the trenchers, backhoes, and earth movers were "green vehicles". I'm sure people can get past the thought of other vehicle being about 6-7k cheaper and getting about 10 mpg less. How many people would keep their car that long to see them lose money on gas when compare to a Hybrid?!
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:45 PM   #78 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

but rene, he made over 100k selling cards this year.....................
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 06:35 PM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
but rene, he made over 100k selling cards this year.....................
Where did I say i MADE 100K? I said I sold that much and if you don't have anything good to add to the topic don't say anything. Give me advice on what to buy or go away.....don't waste everybodies time!
Old 11-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #80 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Where did I say i MADE 100K? I said I sold that much and if you don't have anything good to add to the topic don't say anything. Give me advice on what to buy or go away.....don't waste everybodies time!
ooooooops. he SOLD over 100k worth of stuff.

and i did add something good. i offered my elephant for sale. if you dont want to buy it then say so.

i sense you are a little annoyed with me
Old 11-27-2008, 06:41 PM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:

and i did add something good. i offered my elephant for sale. if you dont want to buy it then say so.

Well atleast your senses are working.

And that Mantle I was watching sold for under 9K, probably cause it was off centered but I was away during the day so missed it anyway.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:45 PM   #82 (permalink)
Banned

so why invest in cards? why not the stock market? why not put the money into a house that will make you a lot more money than cards ever will in 3-5 years?
Old 11-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
so why invest in cards? why not the stock market? why not put the money into a house that will make you a lot more money than cards ever will in 3-5 years?
Real estate and stocks are the way to go right now if you have a large surpluss of $$ and can wait the 2-3 years it will take to turn this economy around.
pac213up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:44 PM   #84 (permalink)

I actually agree on the house. Buy a house if you can get approved and make the payments.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:53 PM   #85 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to j_b_77

Quote:

I didn't even realize the elephant didn't sell yet please pm me. Very interested.....(you might be on your way to that 100K plateau and not even know it!)
j_b_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:21 PM   #86 (permalink)

Wait! I wanted the elephant first! You mean it's STILL available? Where do you keep that thing, anyway? This time the deal must include the tusks!! PM sent.
derek55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:20 AM   #87 (permalink)
Banned

well if i can close the deal with one of you guys i can finally eclipse the 200k mark in my total profit.

and unlike ebay i DO take check/mo/cash.

i can also set up an operation "dumbo drop" but thats extra.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:12 AM   #88 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to j_b_77

Quote:
well if i can close the deal with one of you guys i can finally eclipse the 200k mark in my total profit.

and unlike ebay i DO take check/mo/cash.

i can also set up an operation "dumbo drop" but thats extra.
OMG "dumbo drop" thats too funny!!! Now for the record I need to know if it's bought or SOLD 200K??? (So there's no confusion here on the boards)
j_b_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:40 AM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_b_77 View Post
OMG "dumbo drop" thats too funny!!! Now for the record I need to know if it's bought or SOLD 200K??? (So there's no confusion here on the boards)
1. Bad taste
2. Tight thread
derek55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:53 PM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
i got an ELEPHANT for sale if anyone wants
Captain,

Would you please hurry up and get rid of that thing? Dumbo got loose again, and I'm sick and tired of having to wear shoes when I go outside because of all that dang poo. Also, that loud noise coming from your place at night is the elephant, right? That needs to stop too please. I got me some tranquilizers and I'm about ready to sedate that big bastard.

I still get me a hammock when this thing sells, right buddy? Alright, I gotta go finish this table I've been working on. GET RID OF DUMBO.
C-Bo's Neighbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:58 PM   #91 (permalink)
Banned

holy christ i got a stalker.

dont worry about the elephant. i can get some grass growing with all the natural fertilizer i have going.

btw - im throwing in the damn malcom kelly stamp auto /2 if someone buys the elephant from me
Old 12-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #92 (permalink)

Is your neighbor someone I would know?
Jiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #93 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggs View Post
Is your neighbor someone I would know?
no, my neighbor is straight. so no one you would know, sucka lol
Old 12-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #94 (permalink)

Yeah I'm not quite sure how I got that title, considering Swanky is....well you know.

"Your neighbor" said something about building a table, so I just assumed.
Jiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:12 PM   #95 (permalink)
Banned

he too is a rounder of sorts... but im pretty sure its not someone you know from the other site.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #96 (permalink)

Wow its been over 5 years, here is an update. I invested about $6500 in about 7-8 cards 5 years ago, sold all but the Muhammad Ali and another card. I do not have the dollar figure on hand, but the ebay fees kill you. Just sold a Joe DiMaggio for $1425, bought it for $1100 or so, after fees its $1275 so $175 profit after 5 years isn't the best on return, and it is a lot of work finding stuff for a good price so it is prob not the best idea, but when you find the right cards, it isn't a bad investment if you are willing to hold onto it for 1-5 years. Most cards I made a $200 profit, so a 20% return after 5 years isn't that good, the market is better now, I just put my money in there, but there were some cards I sold for $400-500 profit and only held onto them for a couple years so not that bad there.

And Ebay now tells you how much u have in total sales, mine is over 200K, not home so do not remember the exact number.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #97 (permalink)

Quote:
Wow its been over 5 years, here is an update. I invested about $6500 in about 7-8 cards 5 years ago, sold all but the Muhammad Ali and another card. I do not have the dollar figure on hand, but the ebay fees kill you. Just sold a Joe DiMaggio for $1425, bought it for $1100 or so, after fees its $1275 so $175 profit after 5 years isn't the best on return, and it is a lot of work finding stuff for a good price so it is prob not the best idea, but when you find the right cards, it isn't a bad investment if you are willing to hold onto it for 1-5 years. Most cards I made a $200 profit, so a 20% return after 5 years isn't that good, the market is better now, I just put my money in there, but there were some cards I sold for $400-500 profit and only held onto them for a couple years so not that bad there.

And Ebay now tells you how much u have in total sales, mine is over 200K, not home so do not remember the exact number.

With the TVM using comparative risk vehicles your rate of return is only a fraction of that.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
With the TVM using comparative risk vehicles your rate of return is only a fraction of that.
Yep, but at least with Ebay there is no 1099 tax or whatever number that is form that comes with it that you get with a stock or mutual fund, but there is too much time and ebay fees involved to do it on a regular basis.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Yep, but at least with Ebay there is no 1099 tax or whatever number that is form that comes with it that you get with a stock or mutual fund, but there is too much time and ebay fees involved to do it on a regular basis.
if you sell enough on ebay you will get that 1099 i guarantee it
bbcardsrgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #100 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

No offense but thats a lot of risk and time for such little ROI. You risked $6500 over 5 yrs to make how much? back out inflation, taxes and expenses and see where you sit. If you arent doubling your money on every decade on healthy investments (marginal returns at 8% annually) its better just to let it sit in a money market account in my opinion. Atleast its safe against losses.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote