Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 08:48 PM   #26 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to deboesports

Well Its Offical...the Nfl Saud Today That Holmes Had Both Feet In The Endzone When He Had Control Of The Ball When The Ball Broke The Plain Of The Goal Line, So Goooooooooooooo Steelers!!!
deboesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:55 PM   #27 (permalink)

Actually, the breaking the plane of the goal line definition that all of the broadcasters cram down our throats every week isn't entirely true. There was so much confusion around Pittsburgh (and Baltimore I am sure as well) that I decided to look up the rule myself. Of course, I never trust Phil Simms and all so here is what I found in the 2006 NFL Rulebook:

Rule 11 Scoring

Section 2 Touchdown

Article 1

It is a touchdown (3-38):
(a) when a runner advances from the field of play and the ball touches the opponents’ goal line (plane); or
(b) while inbounds any player catches or recovers a loose ball (3-2-3) on or behind the opponents’ goal line.

A loose ball is defined as:

Article 3
A Loose Ball is a live ball that is not in player possession, i.e., any kick, pass,
or fumble. A loose ball that has not yet struck the ground is In Flight. A loose ball (either during or after flight) is considered in possession of team (offense) whose player kicked, passed, or fumbled. It ends when a player secures possession or when down ends if that is before such possession. (For exception, see 9-1-17-Exc. 3).

So therefore all Santonio had to do was secure possession while in the end zone which from what I saw on the replays he did do. I don't believe that any of these rules have changed since 2006 (I couldn't find an '08 Rulebook online) so this info should still be valid. I am not looking to pile on Baltimore fans because I respect the Ravens for their hard-hitting style of football. In fact, watching McClain run the ball makes me long to have Bettis in the backfield again. I just wanted to set the record straight.
steelcitymemorabilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #28 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to deboesports

Dude! I Would Love To See The Bus Back In Our Backfield!!!!
deboesports is offline   Reply With Quote