Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What was the first case hit?

I was wondering if anyone could help with a hobby history lesson. What was the first case hit? In 1996 I can remember Topps putting one special Mickey Mantle parallel per case (can't say I have seen many of these floating around) and I also remember the 1996 Finest introduction of the Gold Refractor which was 1:288 packs which I believe was a case. I bought one box of 1996 Finest and Pulled a Jeff Bagwell Gold Refractor and sold it for $450.00 the same day I think it is a $10 card now.

Thanks for your feedback!!
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
I was wondering if anyone could help with a hobby history lesson. What was the first case hit? In 1996 I can remember Topps putting one special Mickey Mantle parallel per case (can't say I have seen many of these floating around) and I also remember the 1996 Finest introduction of the Gold Refractor which was 1:288 packs which I believe was a case. I bought one box of 1996 Finest and Pulled a Jeff Bagwell Gold Refractor and sold it for $450.00 the same day I think it is a $10 card now.

Thanks for your feedback!!
Ah, I remember '96 Finest fondly. 1 Gold chrome per box and 1 gold refractor per case, plus tons of silver chrome and silver chrome refractors and bronze refractors. I actually pulled a Griffey Jr. Gold Refractor and the owner of the card shop bought it right there for $1000

A list of "firsts" would be cool

First case hit-
First pack inserted jersey card-
First Pack inserted autograph card- ('90 UD Baseball Reggie Jackson?)
First set with parallel base cards-

Last edited by Incarnadine; 01-17-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Incarnadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

In 1991 I pulled a Pervis Ellison Auto out of 1991 Fleer Ultra. These were extremely low.
kevinshreves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

first product to be "pack searched"
Old 01-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

What about the first serial numbered 1/1?
Jiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

1992 Topps Gold the first parallel set? I am not sure 1984 Topps Tiffany is a parallel set because it was not in packs

1998 Ultra Platinum Medallion the first 1/1?

How about the first product to have multiple 1/1's of the same player forever watering down the 1/1 concept?
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incarnadine View Post
Ah, I remember '96 Finest fondly. 1 Gold chrome per box and 1 gold refractor per case, plus tons of silver chrome and silver chrome refractors and bronze refractors. I actually pulled a Griffey Jr. Gold Refractor and the owner of the card shop bought it right there for $1000

A list of "firsts" would be cool

First case hit-
First pack inserted jersey card-
First Pack inserted autograph card- ('90 UD Baseball Reggie Jackson?)
First set with parallel base cards-
The first jerseys for football anyway were 1996 UD Game Jerseys
RIP PAPAJIM
Sabrina Cortellessa
marino5084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_steelers07 View Post
I remember back in the late 80's that one of the manufacture's had a gold card insert. Can not remember if it was Topps, Donruss or Fleer. My LCS was also a coin dealer. Went there one day to buy some boxes of the product but he said that he did not have any left. I asked what was the big rush on these and he told me that you can take a metal detector and search the packs for the Gold card. maybe you guys can remember what year and if it was Topps Donruss or Fleer. I think it was Donruss.
ajsportscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think that was Action Packed...i think thats the name
kevinshreves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_steelers07 View Post
I think you could go back a long way for that one. In a lot of the old "wax" packs and rack packs you could usually see through the wrapper well enough to see the top or bottom card and, of course, those wax pack were the easiest things in the world to open and re-seal.
Incarnadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsportscards View Post
I remember back in the late 80's that one of the manufacture's had a gold card insert. Can not remember if it was Topps, Donruss or Fleer. My LCS was also a coin dealer. Went there one day to buy some boxes of the product but he said that he did not have any left. I asked what was the big rush on these and he told me that you can take a metal detector and search the packs for the Gold card. maybe you guys can remember what year and if it was Topps Donruss or Fleer. I think it was Donruss.
I was told you could do that with the original Donruss Elite cards.

First jersey cards were 96 Upper Deck

Not sure about parallel but maybe 92 Topps gold
ifish73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Bulldog

The 1991 Donruss Elite cards were the first limited edition cards (limited to 10,000) that I could remember. The first autographed card was the 1990 Upperdeck (Joe Montana for football and Hank Aaron for baseball?).

I don't know when they started putting bats and jerseys.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

I pulled a Brooks Robinson auto back in the early 90's I'm not sure what product and its long gone now!
Old 02-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsportscards View Post
You might be thinking of the 1990 Pro Set Lombardi hologram, which I believe was inserted into the Series One product at a rate of one per 10 cases / 7200 packs
immediex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
The 1991 Donruss Elite cards were the first limited edition cards (limited to 10,000) that I could remember. The first autographed card was the 1990 Upperdeck (Joe Montana for football and Hank Aaron for baseball?).

I don't know when they started putting bats and jerseys.
The first auto was the Reggie Jackson from 1990 UD - I saw one pulled and purchase for $800 at a show back then.

The first 1/1's was 1998 Fleer Ultra Platinum from basketball - I traded for a Jerry Stackhouse 1/1 that I sold for $500 then.

Those were the days...
Dobber2330 is offline   Reply With Quote