Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #26 (permalink)

For my junior high school prom in 1984 I sold two cards to pay for the tickets -- 1962 Topps Yaz and 1963 Topps Mickey Mantle. Memory serves me that I got $35 for the pair.

The prom went so well that I was home and in bed by 11:30pm and my cards were long gone.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:29 AM   #27 (permalink)

I can't say that this was a regret. But I remember when I was a kid. There was a cigar box my father had that had a baseball player on the inside of the lid. He use to keep pictures in it. When I heard about the worth of one of them when I was in my 20's. I asked my Mom about it. She said she most likely through it away when cleaning out the closet. I still wonder till today who it was. I guess these were the original T 220??

I really never got into collecting Baseball.
FINS4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #28 (permalink)

I have a pair:

1. In 1987, we went into K-Mart to get some baseball cards, and they had cases (yes cases) of 1986-87 Fleer basketball wax for $10 and my Dad thought it would be a great idea to buy them out (they had eight or nine I think) because after all, how much could they go now. We convinced him that six boxes of 1987 Topps baseball at $15 a piece was a much better investment.

2. In 1992, my brother and I set up at NY card shows. A dealer had a lousy show and offered us 100 boxes of 1992 Bowman at $18 per. We jumped at it figuring we could get at least $1 a pack for it. That same dealer called us up two weeks later and offered us $40 a box to take them back and we accepted. That weekend we set up an the boxes were flying at $250 per.

3. Finally in 1997 I had a chance to buy two cases of 1996-97 Topps Chrome basketball at $20 per box and I passed, had a keg party to pay for after all.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
I have a pair:

1. In 1987, we went into K-Mart to get some baseball cards, and they had cases (yes cases) of 1986-87 Fleer basketball wax for $10 and my Dad thought it would be a great idea to buy them out (they had eight or nine I think) because after all, how much could they go now. We convinced him that six boxes of 1987 Topps baseball at $15 a piece was a much better investment.

2. In 1992, my brother and I set up at NY card shows. A dealer had a lousy show and offered us 100 boxes of 1992 Bowman at $18 per. We jumped at it figuring we could get at least $1 a pack for it. That same dealer called us up two weeks later and offered us $40 a box to take them back and we accepted. That weekend we set up an the boxes were flying at $250 per.

3. Finally in 1997 I had a chance to buy two cases of 1996-97 Topps Chrome basketball at $20 per box and I passed, had a keg party to pay for after all.
KMD, you reminded me of one.
Back in 1989 my Dad and myself were at a show and a guy was closing out some cases. We could either get 1 cases of 1989 Score Football or a case of 1989 Pro-Set. Guess what we picked! I think we kept that case till we emptied our collection in 2004 because those boxes were tough to sell.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
KMD, you reminded me of one.
Back in 1989 my Dad and myself were at a show and a guy was closing out some cases. We could either get 1 cases of 1989 Score Football or a case of 1989 Pro-Set. Guess what we picked! I think we kept that case till we emptied our collection in 2004 because those boxes were tough to sell.
My late father would zig when everyone else zagged and usually came out ahead. He started buying up Cal Ripken rookies in 1989 figuring that he'd keep the streak going and he was also buying late 1970s and early 1980s wax when it was cheap (football & hockey mostly) because he figured there was less of it and if baseball was going off, it was only time before at least football did.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:02 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
I have a pair:

1. In 1987, we went into K-Mart to get some baseball cards, and they had cases (yes cases) of 1986-87 Fleer basketball wax for $10 and my Dad thought it would be a great idea to buy them out (they had eight or nine I think) because after all, how much could they go now.
$150,000 for a sealed case I think I read somewhere awhile back.

Sorry for kicking you in the balls but I thought you might want to know.
Jiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:23 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggs View Post

$250 per pack on ebay.

Kinda stupid considering you can pick up the Jordan for about 500.
anusinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:06 AM   #33 (permalink)

I once traded a Joe Montana rookie card for a 1990 Donruss Nolan Ryan Diamond Kings wrong back error. Lol. Its funny to look back now, but I was a young kid and got hustled by a scumbag......damn you John Zenes......wherever you are!
jjhasmadskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:16 AM   #34 (permalink)

Oh, yeah as for the 86-87 fleer basketball. I remember 2 things about this set. When I was a 12 year old boy, my mother and I went into a small convenience store in a small town in Pennsylvania, the store was called Turkey Hill. I saw a box of 86-87 fleer basketball on the shelf and was allowed 2 packs. Cant remember the price, but I remember opening them up and putting them into a drawer with hundreds of other cards. Years later, I uncovered them only to see a Michael Jordan card, beckett value back then was $12.00. I put it in a semi rigid and thumbtacked it to my bedroom wall (just through the case, not the card). As the value increased, so did the safety of the card and still to this day I have it in a super thick 4 screw case. Other cards I got from the 2 packs were Kareem, Magic, Chris Mullin and Patrick Ewing, which I mailed to him and he returned it AUTOGRAPHED!
The other thought about this set, was back in 87 in Jamesway store, I was racks and racks of these 86-87 fleer boxes and bought none! Instead I was buying up Starting Lineup figures! I had over 100 pieces at one point, most still in the packages. Now starting lineups are....ehhh and the 86-87 Fleer is untouchable.....ahh memories
jjhasmadskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:47 AM   #35 (permalink)

[

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggs View Post

Yeah it is true, My LCS has 2 sealed cases of them. He had 3 but sold one 6 years ago at a show in Valley Forge PA for $150,000 He bought a small retail store out in 1987 for $500, he got 3 cases of basketball, 5 cases of hockey, 5 cases of baseball and 5 cases of football He still has all 5 cases of the football, imagine all the Rice rookies that are in 5 cases.
156neon is offline   Reply With Quote