Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Any Hobby REGRETS that you have??????

What are some cards, or items, that you gave up that you wished you would have kept? Mine is a very easy one......

Sold an autographed baseball of stan musial,bob feller, enos slaughter, and ernie banks for a soft 50 bucks. I'll never forget that day.
sportzluvr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Being a Dolphins fan It killed me to have to sell this one (needed the cash)

2004 Playoff Prime Sigantures Prime Pairings Bob Griese/Dan Marino/Larry Csonka/Ricky Williams Quad Auto /42

If another EVER shows up again, it will be mine lol
Lateralus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportzluvr1 View Post
What are some cards, or items, that you gave up that you wished you would have kept? Mine is a very easy one......

Sold an autographed baseball of stan musial,bob feller, enos slaughter, and ernie banks for a soft 50 bucks. I'll never forget that day.
I sold my Kane blackdiamond rookie and a Crosby victory rookie for 40$!!! I needed the money at the time!
Alerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sold my Elite PTT Payton Sanders dual auto about 2 months are pulling the redemption and getting it back redeemed. Easily the stupidest thing I've ever done in the hobby and probably third on my all time list.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
ND3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Sold my Elite PTT Payton Sanders dual auto about 2 months are pulling the redemption and getting it back redeemed. Easily the stupidest thing I've ever done in the hobby and probably third on my all time list.
What were 1st and 2nd?
Old 02-20-2009, 11:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

getting back into the hobby.

LOL
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

My 1994 Score Traded September Call-Up Alex Rodriguez.
My dad and myself opened a case of this stuff. We got 1 redemption, and for some reason they sent us 2 card back. So he let me have one. I think I sold mine for $125 (over 5 years ago).

Wish I had that damn card back.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

buying a 1/2 case of 2007 Topps Sterling Baseball and pulling an 8 peice relic #'ed 1/1 of Joe Dimaggio and not being able to sell it!!!!

Also wish I kept the Ovechking card in my Avatar!!! Though I did sell it for $800

checkoutmycards.com/Users/hockeyjunkie99
hockeyjunkie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjunkie99 View Post
buying a 1/2 case of 2007 Topps Sterling Baseball and pulling an 8 peice relic #'ed 1/1 of Joe Dimaggio and not being able to sell it!!!!
L-M-A-O

still? LOL.
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
L-M-A-O

still? LOL.
Yeah man!!! Its in a safetey deposit box at my bank now!!!!

Old 02-20-2009, 11:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND3 View Post
What were 1st and 2nd?
Ha - I knew you'd ask Nick

1.) Could have got in to IBEW LU98 at age 20 but passed to stay working at a local hospital in LU1199c. Who knew health care would go in the shitter in the late 90s and I'd have to get into the carpenters union 9 years after passing up the electricians. Could have almost 20 years in and be pulling wire but nooooooooooooooo, I stay at the hospital because the pay was better then apprentice rate and partying with lots of young student nurses with Jersey shore beach houses every summer. Oh the misguided youth

2.) Went to LaSalle University instead of University of Tampa. Stayed around home to be around my buds. Another stupid mistake of youth.

As for the Payton Sanders, who knew Payton would have organ trouble and die a short time after that ?

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Ha - I knew you'd ask Nick

1.) Could have got in to IBEW LU98 at age 20 but passed to stay working at a local hospital in LU1199c. Who knew health care would go in the shitter in the late 90s and I'd have to get into the carpenters union 9 years after passing up the electricians. Could have almost 20 years in and be pulling wire but nooooooooooooooo, I stay at the hospital because the pay was better then apprentice rate and partying with lots of young student nurses with Jersey shore beach houses every summer. Oh the misguided youth

2.) Went to LaSalle University instead of University of Tampa. Stayed around home to be around my buds. Another stupid mistake of youth.

As for the Payton Sanders, who knew Payton would have organ trouble and die a short time after that ?
Great Private School!!

Old 02-21-2009, 12:19 AM   #13 (permalink)

when i was 13 i pulled an arod leaf limited rookie phenoms...i kept the card for a few years then i went to find it about 5 years ago to find out i lost the damn thing...i still look through boxes in my parents basement in the false hope of finding it...it still pisses me off to this day..
Old 02-21-2009, 12:47 AM   #14 (permalink)

I can remember opening boxes/packs of 86-87 Fleer Basketball at $40 per box or so. And you would like to know where the cards are????? I have know idea. Those years put me smack dab in college where I went to school, tended bar and drank in the bar---and that pretty much covers it. I also drank while I tended bar

fidrych
shadetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetre View Post
I can remember opening boxes/packs of 86-87 Fleer Basketball at $40 per box or so. And you would like to know where the cards are????? I have know idea. Those years put me smack dab in college where I went to school, tended bar and drank in the bar---and that pretty much covers it. I also drank while I tended bar

fidrych
In the early 90's when the entire hobby was in the crapper, and no one collected Basketball at all, my old man bought 2 sets of 86/87 Fleer Basketball for $15 each. Asked the guy if he had more, and he sent his kid to the car, and he came back with 15 more sets. While walking in the door, he tripped, and dropped them all. My dad told the guy forget it, they are probably damaged. Never even checked.......but at least we got 2 I guess.
signal_fifty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:11 AM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fsu2007

Tom Brady Rookies, I had 2 pros and prospects, 2 sp authentic, 2 contenders sold for a total of $150. That hurts

Also not picking up 1989 score football boxes for $5 at Costco instead paid $20 for pro set.
fsu2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #17 (permalink)

Walter Payton autograph out of 1998 donruss, I pulled it out of a pack like 3 weeks after he passed away. It was a all time gridiron king auto, I actually bought the rest of the set on e-bay for $150 which includes Johnny Unitas, Bart Starr,Earl Campbell & Jim Brown. I sold the whole set to the lcs for $450 Man that was a dumb move considering Johnny Unitas is dead now too and his autos pretty much doubled since then.
156neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #18 (permalink)

Selling this:

crdboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
getting back into the hobby.

LOL
haha...that would be mine also
ronlabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:13 AM   #20 (permalink)

bought an old box of absolute mem. and pulled a TOTT Eli Manning Auto, Traded it at my lcs for another box, then eli went and won the superbowl months later...

Trying to put together 2005 SP Authentic SOTT Dual Autograph set (Football) PM me with any that you may have
hojer05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #21 (permalink)

The mistake I made back in the day isn't so bad now but I got skrewed back in the day. At one time I was the proud owner of a Frank Thomas RC No Name card error from topps. The card was rare and when I had it I believe it was booking for around 50. It was later found that the card was a lot more scarce that was thought. I traded the card at a card shop for a box of score and a couple of Mike Piazza cards. Not long after that the Frank Thomas went through the roof. I am not sure but I believe I remember it booking for at least 2,500 at one time and I think it even got higher than that. I stoped checkin

"Sometimes it is better to remain silent and be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...."
bigmon80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

opening countless boxes of lebrons rookie year including a case of spx and a couple cases of topps chrome.
cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:27 PM   #23 (permalink)

Not my mistake but was my dad's...back in the mid 80's my grandmother was cleaning out their house when they moved and asked my dad if he wanted all his and my grandfather's cards for me. I hadn't gotten into collecting yet so he told her to toss them...I started collecting a couple years later. He kicks himself everytime we talk about my collection knowing what it could have been...cards from the 30's - late 60's.

Checkoutmycards ID: kelleys1
kelleys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by signal_fifty View Post
In the early 90's when the entire hobby was in the crapper, and no one collected Basketball at all, my old man bought 2 sets of 86/87 Fleer Basketball for $15 each. Asked the guy if he had more, and he sent his kid to the car, and he came back with 15 more sets. While walking in the door, he tripped, and dropped them all. My dad told the guy forget it, they are probably damaged. Never even checked.......but at least we got 2 I guess.
I got a set of this for $12.95....neither my dad nor I knew anything about basketball at the time as I was just beginning to collect baseball cards. There was a shelf full of those sets....if we only knew.

Checkoutmycards ID: kelleys1
kelleys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:00 PM   #25 (permalink)

Wink Plenty of Regrets

Excellent topic. I have bought & sold thousands of dollars worth of cards. My worst regret is selling a huge binder full of Baseball HOF auto's/ postcards, auto cuts of just about every Pre-1960's Baseball HOF's with the exception of Ruth & Gehrig. I bought it for $1500, which I had to borrow from a friend to buy. With that borrowed $ hanging over my head, I sold this beautiful collection to a big autograph dealer in St. George, Utah for $3,000. The autos have to be worth 10x that now. This was in 1994. The guy I bought it from had a small antique store in Pioche, NV. It took this guy years writing to players, etc to get the auto's. I think about this "lost" collection at least 1X a week. There was a beautiful Jimmie Foxx that had been autographed on a neat newspaper cartoon. I probably miss that more than anything.

I also had a beautiful mint box of 1970 Topps Super Football unopened wax box with 24 sealed / pristine packs that I paid $110.00 for at the National Covention in S.F. in 1987. I sold it for $275.00. I passed up from the same dealer at the National a 1970 Topps Football wax box with 24 unopened packs for $120 & a 1970 Topps Hockey box for the same price. Both were outstanding.

One last regret. I had a 1967 Topps Baseball Set missing the Robinson & Seaver. It was Ex-Mt. I bought it for $200 & sold it for $220.00. Just call me Mr. Profit.