Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to deboesports
Unhappy A Very Sad Day Today In Pittsburgh

first let me say that they said he was a MARINE, but in fact his sorry azz was kicked out in boot camp...SO HE IS NOT A MARINE! they did shot him , but failed to kill him

Three Officers Killed In Stanton Heights Shootings on Fairfield Street - kdka.com

Gunmen Kills Three Pittsburgh Police Officers PITTSBURGH (KDKA/AP) ―
A man opened fire on officers during a domestic disturbance call Saturday morning, killing three of them, a police official said.

Friends said 23 year-old Richard Poplawski feared the Obama administration was poised to ban guns.

Three officers were killed.

Police planned to release more details at a 3 p.m. news conference Saturday.

Poplawski was arrested after a several-hour standoff.

One witness reported hearing hundreds of shots.

The shootings occurred just two weeks after four police officers were fatally shot March 21 in Oakland, Calif., in the deadliest day for U.S. law enforcement since Sept. 11, 2001.

Poplawski's friends at the scene described him as a young man who thought the Obama administration would ban guns.

One friend, Edward Perkovic, said Poplawski feared "the Obama gun ban that's on the way" and "didn't like our rights being infringed upon."

Another longtime friend, Aaron Vire, said he feared that President Obama was going to take away his rights, though he said he "wasn't violently against Obama."

Perkovic, a 22-year-old who said he was Poplawski's best friend, said he got a call at work from him in which he said, "Eddie, I am going to die today. ... Tell your family I love them and I love you."

Perkovic said: "I heard gunshots and he hung up. ... He sounded like he was in pain, like he got shot."

Vire, 23, said Poplawski once had an Internet talk show but that it wasn't successful.

Vire said his friend had an AK-47 rifle and several powerful handguns, including a .357 Magnum.

Another friend, Joe DiMarco, said Poplawski had been laid off from his job at a glass factory earlier this year.

DiMarco said he didn't know the name of the company, but knew Poplawski had been upset about losing his job.

The officers were called to the home in the Stanton Heights neighborhood at about 7 a.m.

Tom Moffitt, 51, a city firefighter who lives two blocks away, said he heard about the shooting on his scanner and came to the scene, where he heard "hundreds, just hundreds of shots. And not just once - several times."

Rob Gift, 45, who lives a block away, said he heard rapid gunfire as he was letting his dog out.

He said the neighborhood of well-kept single-family houses and manicured lawns is home to many police officers, firefighters, paramedics and other city workers.

"It's just a very quiet neighborhood," Gift said.

Stay with KDKA for more details on this story.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

geez only a couple weeks removed from the shooting in oakland. RIP.
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

We just had one in Binghamton !!! 13 lives were taken.It seems like it is everywhere.

Kent
Kent Clements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Lots of PO'd jobless people in the US these days. Also seems lots of people taking their frustrations out on the police which is ridiculous. Philly seems to bury one or two officers a month and the idiot mayor is still cutting hours or laying them off.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Kind of a reality check when officers so close to home are being killed (Philly 40 minutes away) and Pittsburg...prayers go out to families of these officers.

Thats the problem, you never know, any call you take can turn into this. These people call us for their problems, then turn on us. Don't get me wrong, I love helping people and usually go above and beyond what have to do to solve the problem, but it gets rediculous that officers are killed left and right. Every door you knock on you have to be aware that you could be the next victim...

This guy was arrested after a standoff, If he gets life in prison he will be deemed a hero by most of the guys on the inside...

Scary career...usually very rewarding, but in this case it is a shame...

Trying to put together 2005 SP Authentic SOTT Dual Autograph set (Football) PM me with any that you may have
hojer05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Dudes. This is getting bad. It is almost biweekly. The recession is in everyone's head and we are not strong enough to overcome it yet.

Check me out on Sport Lots.
http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=mkeil250
fungi2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

well that A%$#%$ got into a fight with his mom or mother-in-law...she called the police, he shot her, she ran to the basement where she called the police. 2 cops showed up first only to be shot down by his AK-47. then the next responders got there only to be shot also which 1 more dies. while the TV reporters were live on air, you can hear rounds form an AK going off a police. then the shots stoped while the police talked to the killer for about an hour i belive. then he started shooting again, thats when they shot him, but failed to kill this P$#$%!!!
Old 04-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungi2510 View Post
Dudes. This is getting bad. It is almost biweekly. The recession is in everyone's head and we are not strong enough to overcome it yet.
I dont think recessions have that much to do with psychos killing people.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

This sounds like a terrible mix of paranoia (that Obama was going to take his guns) and mental illness. Three innocent cops die in the process. I have the feeling that this is going to become big politically motivated national news...
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

he was kicked out of high school....and kicked out of USMC boot camp. he is nothing but a big F'in loser! they "the cops" should have filled that house full of lead!!! they knew the mother in law was hiding in the basement. i got a few pittsburgh PD friends and this really sucks the big one!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

The whole paranoid because of Obama gun laws is such BS and hopefully people don't spin that.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

UPDATE:

PITTSBURGH (AP) ―
Click to enlarge
A police officer watches over the crime scene from a nearby corner April 4, 2009, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Police say Richard Poplawski, 23, is facing a long list of charges of criminal homicide and aggravated assault.

The Stanton Heights community and local law enforcement officials are in mourning following the deaths of three police officers who were fatally wounded while responding to a domestic disturbance call.

It happened just after 7 a.m. Saturday in the 1000-block of Fairfield Street.

"We consider all of our officers family members and we mourn as if we are the immediate family," said Pittsburgh Police Chief Nate Harper. "We understand that the officers showed a lot of restraint because when the subject decided to give up the fight - that he was taken into custody without any farther injury. So the officers did show a lot of professionalism and a lot of restraint as well."

According to Pittsburgh police, the suspected gunman, 23-year-old Richard Poplawski, is facing a long list of charges including three counts of criminal homicide and aggravated assault.

"It appears he was lying in wait for the officers," Harper said.

Police have identified the slain officers as Eric Kelly, a 14 year veteran of the force, as well as Stephen Mayhle and Paul Sciullo, both on the force for two years.

Harper said the suspected gunman met the officers at the doorway and shot two of them in the head. An officer who tried to help the two was also killed.

"Upon one officer approaching the house, the actor opened fire on the officer, fatally wounding him. The second officer who was behind the first officer, the officer sustained a fatal wound to the head as well," said Chief Harper.

Kelly, who was on his way home after completing his overnight shift, rushed to the scene and was killed trying to help Sciullo and Mayhle, Harper said.

"The third officer, who was one his way home actually, heard the call come over the radio, decided to back these officers up, was also fatally wounded as he tried to assist both officers," Harper added. "We had a fourth officer that responded to the scene as well. He received a gunshot to the hand as he tried to assist the officers."

Police say the suspect also fired on an armored SWAT team vehicle that then responded to the scene.

Poplawski, armed with an assault rifle and two other guns, held police at bay from a bedroom window for four hours as the fallen officers were left bleeding nearby, their colleagues unable to reach them, according to police and witnesses.

Harper said more than 100 rounds were fired by the SWAT team and Poplawski.

Authorities say several neighbors were evacuated from the area.

Also, two other officers were injured during the incident. Officials report that Officer Timothy McManaway suffered a gunshot wound to the hand, while Officer Brian Jones broke his leg when a fence gave out as he was trying to secure the rear of the house.

"There were two officers that were injured later, one officer sustained a leg injury, broke his leg and the other officer, as I stated had the gunshot wound to the hand."

Police say they were eventually able to get the suspect to surrender.

"He surrendered through some negotiations with our hostage negotiator team as well as I believe he wanted to surrender," said Harper.

Poplawski had gunshot wounds in his legs, but was otherwise unharmed because he was wearing a bulletproof vest, Harper said. He was taken to the hospital and is in fair condition.

Meanwhile, the suspect's mother, who initially called police, remained holed up in the basement during the entire dispute and escaped unharmed.

Harper said the motive for the shooting isn't clear, but friends said the gunman recently had been upset about losing his job.

"At this time we are investigating… from what I understand from the neighbors - that family did present some problems in the past in that neighborhood," said Harper.

As the investigation continues, the law enforcement community is trying to deal with the loss, flying flags at half staff and wearing black bans over their badges.

"Our hearts and our prayers go out to the officers that paid the ultimate sacrifice," added Harper.

Stay with KDKA for the latest details.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
I dont think recessions have that much to do with psychos killing people.
You do not think so? Research what has happened before. I guarentee you will be surprised.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:23 AM   #14 (permalink)

People handle stress differently. Some just snap. Obviously, based on Deboe's posts, this kid wasn't wrapped too tight to begin with. Feel bad for the officers because it appears they walked into an ambush. They probably didn't even have their weapons drawn and didn't know what hit them.

What is sad is I blame society for much of what is happening to cops these days. Everyone is looking for a law suit so it seems some cops are hesitant to draw their weapon or be the aggressor for fear there is some ahole there recording everything to sell to the local news.

Obviously not every cop is a saint, just ask the Moats family but I believe the good cops far out number the corrupt ones.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:36 AM   #15 (permalink)

afetr he killed them, he stood over one of them and fired more rounds into the killed officer!
Old 04-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
People handle stress differently. Some just snap. Obviously, based on Deboe's posts, this kid wasn't wrapped too tight to begin with. Feel bad for the officers because it appears they walked into an ambush. They probably didn't even have their weapons drawn and didn't know what hit them.

What is sad is I blame society for much of what is happening to cops these days. Everyone is looking for a law suit so it seems some cops are hesitant to draw their weapon or be the aggressor for fear there is some ahole there recording everything to sell to the local news.

Obviously not every cop is a saint, just ask the Moats family but I believe the good cops far out number the corrupt ones.
Isnt that the discussion that was had about Moats? People last week questioned that very thing.....

I do agree that over the last 3 years, the publics actions(atleast locally) have become far more agressive towards law enforcement... Were 1/10 arrests needed to become a "hands on" situation, it has now become more around 1/3!!

All also agree with the previous post, where you cant keep blaming the economy, music, video games, etc for some idiots actions...... It comes down to the individual, their beliefs and raising, and the mental status.....

If you find a wallet with ID and money in it, and the owner gets the wallet back with just ID, or with ID and money, determines what type of person you are...... Not it was a bad economy, so I had to take it.... Just another excuse to do wrong
Old 04-05-2009, 01:05 PM   #17 (permalink)

I am not saying that it is not an excuse, but as times get tougher crime goes up all around. It will continue to be bad, and with the lack of parenting that takes place it could get really ugly.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

Good thing gas isn't around $4 per gallon right now. Things would be a LOT worse.

Words cannot express how saddened I am to learn of these cops dying. They and everyone around them will be in my prayers.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:55 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texansfan View Post
Isnt that the discussion that was had about Moats? People last week questioned that very thing.....

I do agree that over the last 3 years, the publics actions(atleast locally) have become far more agressive towards law enforcement... Were 1/10 arrests needed to become a "hands on" situation, it has now become more around 1/3!!

All also agree with the previous post, where you cant keep blaming the economy, music, video games, etc for some idiots actions...... It comes down to the individual, their beliefs and raising, and the mental status.....

If you find a wallet with ID and money in it, and the owner gets the wallet back with just ID, or with ID and money, determines what type of person you are...... Not it was a bad economy, so I had to take it.... Just another excuse to do wrong
Glad you had a chance to read the posts Tex... I was thinking the same thing. You said a traffic stop was the second most dangerous thing after a domestic call in the other thread... and here's a prime example.

I'll be interested to see if the police had been called to this guys house before and knew him as not being this kind of violent person. Obviously the opposite wasn't true or they would have been better prepared for the situation.

Collecting Brandon Phillips, Barry Larkin and Jesse Winker
Bigblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #20 (permalink)

the police have been called to that address a few times before...cause of some PFA from an old girlfriend. pluse he has said in the past that he was going to kill a girl that lived a few doors down from him. and him and his friends would chase her. he signed up for the marines right after 9/11 cause he "felt the need to" but like i said he was kicked out of PI. his old girlfriend also stated he had some guns buired underground by his house cause he said nobody was gonna take his guns away.