Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default PS3 or XBOX 360 ???

I'm going to be in the market for one of these soon...just sold my mullet mobile 96 Z28.

I'm certainly leaning toward the PS3 just because of Blue Ray, but I really don't know the big difference in the different amounts of hard drive space. I'm not a huge gamer, but are there any differences in game play with a basic system compared to a tricked out mother of PS3s??

Let me know your opinions on the systems and how many Gigs is the right amount for someone like me who likes to play a racing game or Madden every now and then.

Thanks guys

Collecting Brandon Phillips, Barry Larkin and Jesse Winker
Bigblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

PS3 all the way. Better & free online content, plus the blu ray player is nice to have. There are a lot of PS3 games that have come down in price. So, it's more affordable now. Also, if you have a ton of PS1 & 2 game like me, you can still use them on the PS3.
Jolietracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

PS3 is a clear winner IMO. Great lineup of games, built in bluray, the best controller config and great downloads and online network. The only difference with the different PS3 40,60,80..etc is that you don't get the backwards compatability unless you go with the 60 or above and I believe they stopped making the 60. Backwards compatability means you can play your old PS2 games if you have any but I don't see that as a real issue unless you really have some old games you just love to play. Unless you play a ton of games or plan to download tons of pics and movies the 40 does just fine.
I reccomend you get the bluray remote and the controller charger. The wireless controllers are great and hold a charge for a while but if the go dead you will have to charge them with a very short USB cord.

I mainly play Madden and NCAA FB but have beat about 12 other games and didn't use all that much space. There is no difference in gameplay in the larger hard drives that I know of. Hope I was of some help but I wouldn't even think twice when comparing the PS3 with the XBOX 360.

"Sometimes it is better to remain silent and be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...."

Last edited by bigmon80; 04-19-2009 at 01:07 AM.
bigmon80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

I agree PS3. Just for the amount of games, the ability to play PS1- PS2 games, and the built in blue ray.

I dont play online, but if you are looking for that, PS3 has built in wireless ability, where my nephew bought the 360, and had to pay an additional $80 for the wireless adapter thingy...
Old 04-19-2009, 01:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I definately agree on the PS3 for all the reasons listed above however I would recomend checking the sony website on the bacwards compatibility b/c the 60 gig is capable but they made 2 or 3 different versions of the 80 gig and only 1 of the models is bacwards compatable, ( I ran in to this problem and actually bought an 80 gig that could not play the ps 2 games before getting the right one) if that is not a concern for you then I think the 40 gig is probably going to be more than enough space for what it sounds like you would be using it for.
DucksGonePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to npbaker1

Get a bigger hard drive. Games are starting to require installs onto the HD before you are able to play. Devil May Cry 4 for example must be installed onto the HD before you can play and if memory serves it requires 5 Gb for the install. At those rates a 40Gb gets filled pretty fast.
npbaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

I say 360.

Yes, PS3 is the better system, just talking raw power and with blue ray.

But, you cannot beat XBOX live, and the online games and the following that XBOX has. You pay for what you get with the online serivce... everything and nothing at all
gregsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

wow...a lot of PS3 guys here...I vote XBOX...as much as I hate microsoft products....I will say the following pros about 360 in relation to ps3

1. Bargain price by comparison (a refurbished full high end model costs about $249.99 + a 3 yr warranty is about $25 more)
2. Better games (in my opinion) - like Gears of War 2
3. MUCH BETTER CONTROLLER (GOD I HATE THE PS1/2/3 CONTROLLER!!! AGH!)
4. Better user-interface

The PS3 does although have blue-ray and some other games....but overall I vote 360.

EDIT - WOW U WANT A GOOD PRICE FOR 360???

HERE - But better hurry, the deal ends at 10:10 AM CST

SnaggStuff.com | Snagg Your Deal Today -- New Deal Everyday at 10:10 AM CST- EPIC EPIC EPIC PRICE.

probably the best price you'll see on that for a while...you can get a warranty through squaretrade for like $25.

Last edited by biodole; 04-19-2009 at 04:00 AM.
biodole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BUFFALOxBILLS

If you want to play online, talk to friends, download games movies and TV shows then 360 is for u

If u wanna play offline, watch DVD's or Blue-Ray, and have more space on your hard drive then ps3 is for u

I have a 360 and love it, i've only played ps3 2 or 3 times and liked it, both are great IMO and u really cant go wrong with either
-> 2007 Sweet Spot Helmet Autos /99
BUFFALOxBILLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

Yeah 360 is way better online and has the better games still.

I sold it though and now only have a PS3 though.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:22 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
Yeah 360 is way better online and has the better games still.

I sold it though and now only have a PS3 though.

I used to argue all the time with people about these 2, The only thing people have to say about the 360 to bash the PS3 is the onling gaming is better. Well I look at it this way, If you are really that much into online gaming DO IT ON YOUR COMPUTER!!!!! A 360 cannot and will never be able to keep up with a nice mid level computer with like 2 gig's of ram, a 512MB graphics card, A dual core processor ETC.... I rest my case and prove that PS3 is better and it will only continue to be better until Microsoft keeps coming up with more "hemroids" to add on to the system with to keep up with Sony because they waited that extra year to make sure they had there technology right. Sorry X box fans but the truth hurts.

Last edited by 156neon; 04-19-2009 at 11:24 AM.
156neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFALOxBILLS View Post
If you want to play online, talk to friends, download games movies and TV shows then 360 is for u

If u wanna play offline, watch DVD's or Blue-Ray, and have more space on your hard drive then ps3 is for u

I have a 360 and love it, i've only played ps3 2 or 3 times and liked it, both are great IMO and u really cant go wrong with either
No your computer is for you, Also you can download netflix on a PS3 and do all that stuff.

Last edited by 156neon; 04-19-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue View Post
I'm going to be in the market for one of these soon...just sold my mullet mobile 96 Z28.

I'm certainly leaning toward the PS3 just because of Blue Ray, but I really don't know the big difference in the different amounts of hard drive space. I'm not a huge gamer, but are there any differences in game play with a basic system compared to a tricked out mother of PS3s??

Let me know your opinions on the systems and how many Gigs is the right amount for someone like me who likes to play a racing game or Madden every now and then.

Thanks guys
I was always a PS person tell two years ago when I had the same dalema. My wife and I went to a LGS and I told one of the workers what I wanted and he basicly told me this.."If you just want to play sports games I would go with the 360" All I play are sports games Basketball,Football,TigerWoods...
I told him I have a good dvd player,so I would not even need the blueray.I really wanted the ps3 just beacuse thats all I ever owned.. but ultimately I was happy with the purchase of my 360. Other then the fact that I just had two send it in for the second time ,but I guess its ok beacuse its under warranty.You cant go wrong with either
Old 04-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

-cheaper
-better games
-360's online play and marketplace destroy the PS3's version (even though the PS3's is free)
-better controller
Old 04-19-2009, 12:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

the PS3 exclusives are weak compared to the 360's also. (for ps3 killzone and god of war and for 360 halo and gears of war just to name a few)
Old 04-19-2009, 12:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

Wow! Thanks for the input so far. I don't really see myself having time for on-line gaming although the idea sounds really cool... so I'm pretty sure I'll go with the PS3 now... I have Netflix also so that's a big plus also.

Didn't know a bunch of that stuff about the PS3... pays to ask the consumers that love this stuff

Old 04-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

Go Wii!!!!!

Check me out on Sport Lots.
http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=mkeil250
fungi2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #18 (permalink)

XBOX=Red Ring of Death..... PS3 all the way. I miss the Halo series but the other capabilities are well worth it. The backward compatable systems are getting very hard to find and command a huge price on ebay. The 80 or 160GB is the way to go. I bought mine through the NEX (Navy Exchange-Online) and got the 80GB, a 2 game pack(Resistance, MSG-Sons of the Patriots, also came with DVD remote and HDMI cables)

RIP PAPAJIM
keggobelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungi2510 View Post
Go Wii!!!!!
Already have one

Old 04-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keggobelly View Post
XBOX=Red Ring of Death..... PS3 all the way. I miss the Halo series but the other capabilities are well worth it. The backward compatable systems are getting very hard to find and command a huge price on ebay. The 80 or 160GB is the way to go. I bought mine through the NEX (Navy Exchange-Online) and got the 80GB, a 2 game pack(Resistance, MSG-Sons of the Patriots, also came with DVD remote and HDMI cables)
the red ring of death is fully covered by Microsoft now and they refunded anyone who paid for repairs.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:28 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156neon View Post
I used to argue all the time with people about these 2, The only thing people have to say about the 360 to bash the PS3 is the onling gaming is better. Well I look at it this way, If you are really that much into online gaming DO IT ON YOUR COMPUTER!!!!! A 360 cannot and will never be able to keep up with a nice mid level computer with like 2 gig's of ram, a 512MB graphics card, A dual core processor ETC.... I rest my case and prove that PS3 is better and it will only continue to be better until Microsoft keeps coming up with more "hemroids" to add on to the system with to keep up with Sony because they waited that extra year to make sure they had there technology right. Sorry X box fans but the truth hurts.
Hate to say it but PC gaming is dead basically to. Online gaming on consoles has been the biggest feature in the past 5 years so it's very important in choosing. yes PS3's is free but XBL is the better package. The exclusive games are better on the 360 also. Currently the framerate in games is usually better on 360, especially in the past couple years with EA Sports games. the 360 versions were running at 60 FPS while PS3's were running around 30
Old 04-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keggobelly View Post
You can buy Halo for the PC, so there is no reason to buy a 360 just for Halo.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
Hate to say it but PC gaming is dead basically to. Online gaming on consoles has been the biggest feature in the past 5 years so it's very important in choosing. yes PS3's is free but XBL is the better package. The exclusive games are better on the 360 also. Currently the framerate in games is usually better on 360, especially in the past couple years with EA Sports games. the 360 versions were running at 60 FPS while PS3's were running around 30
Im not going to get into an argument about the online part, But wouldnt you rather play a game on a SLI system with a quad core processor and with 2-4 gigs of ram with millions of people versus a network that only has a small percentage of the world is on and a system that is not expandable? I do not do online gaming at all, But if I did I would definetly got the PC route. You can do so much more with a PC and you can get a 360 controller for the PC if you must have that style of controller. I could put a tower together for under $400 and it would smoke the 360 elite all day long in every aspect it was put up against
Old 04-19-2009, 09:26 PM   #24 (permalink)

I have a quad core, 4 gig ram and a 24" 1080P monitor and dont play pc games anymore.

I rather play in front of the tv, i mainly play sports games though. PC is more for MMORPG games and FPS but honestly you don't hear much about PC gaming at all anymore.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:35 AM   #25 (permalink)

If you like playing with friends, 360
If you dont have any friends, PS3

my bucket: photobucket.com/albums/ww33/crazybearsfan22/
crazybearsfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote