Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pee-Wee Season Over, 34-20-10

Hey all, the NEPAJHL (that's a mouthful) season ended today. The team I coached lost game five of a best of five series 1-0 today in double overtime.

I haven't mentioned this much this year because it was a well behaved team and a fairly uneventful season. We started out 2-8 and but once they figured out my defensive system the team clicked and we finished second in our division (behind the eventual winner).

We ran into a really good goaltender and really good defense and this series was like a game of chess. The opposing coach and I shared a couple of brews and discussed this series. It was refreshing to be talking with another defense/discipline oriented coach.

Anyway, I'm real proud of this team and I signed up to coach this team again next year. (I took over the team last season with two weeks to go after the debacle with the other team... or I should say other team parents). Instead of throwing out the ninth place trophy they got last year (I made them toss it in the garbage can, we didn't need charity) they will be proudly get their second place trophies... and next year the champions goaltender will move into the next division while I keep most of my squad for two more years...

Here is a pair of names to file deep in your brains. Keep in mind this league is 10-12 years old, and a lot can happen between 12-17. Jake Issacson was a goaltender for the championship team. He stopped 45+ shots per game from my guys and gave up two goals only once, and it wasn't like my guys were just throwing crap up there. He seemed faster than any of the goaltenders in the league, but again, he's a 12 year old. I know scouts were there watching him because they were watching one of my guys too, a 10 year old, which seems kind of sick to me. The other name is Jason Issacson, his twin brother. He was flying all over the ice, none of my guys could keep up with him. He didn't factor on the scoreboard much during the playoff round, but my guys were so tied up with him that his compatriots were getting through, SOMETHING WE WILL FIX NEXT YEAR

If you haven't gotten a chance to coach your sport at some level, I encourage you to give it a try. This was a really good year, and after last year, I'm very glad.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

Congrats on a better season, I wish I could've gotten into hockey when I was younger, we only had 1 rink though and the only time the schools could practice was at like 4am before school.

I bet it would be awesome someday to see one of your players make it big time, I hope you're able to experience that.

why not throw away 2nd...that's not good enough either...what are we breeding wusses in America(sorry memories from that failed thread where people made fun of special girls) lol
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
why not throw away 2nd...that's not good enough either...what are we breeding wusses in America(sorry memories from that failed thread where people made fun of special girls) lol
My guys worked their asses off this year to make it to game 5, and it was a double OT loss. Its not like last year where they sleep-walked through the season and got a cruddy 9th place trophy.

They can keep these, they earned it, and I want them to see it on their dressers all summer and remember what 2nd place feels like.

Maybe it won't take ten games for the defense to click next season if we do that, and we would have played here in Allentown rather than have to go there in Wilkes-Barre
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote