Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 09:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jbellis74
Default New to yardwork - Need advice

I have been in my house for almost a year now. I have lived in the city most of my life so I am kind of a lawn virgin. The first summer the wife and I paid someone to take care of all the lawn work. That was a bit pricey so I am trying to do it on my own.

I have the lawnmower and a electric hedger so I think I got that part under control (cut straight lines so far) but now I need an edger and a blower. I saw somewhere on TV that B&D has something thats multiple tools in one package. Does anyone know anything about this or am I crazy?

If there is such a thing (All in one tool) am I better off getting that or two seperate tools (blower, edger)?

Thanks
Jason
Old 04-27-2009, 09:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to deboesports

dude, ive been a landscaper now for 10 years....it depends on the size of your yard....how many beds you got. what we lookin at? got pics of your yard i could look at?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

I can take some tomorrow.....I have a corner house. So I have a backyard, a front yard and a side yard. So I would say like 5000sq feet or so.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

I did find some info on the all in one tool that I was talking about..

18 Volt Lawncare Center with Charging and Storage Station from Black and Decker
Old 04-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

i also have a large corner and once i see what you got to deal with , i could really help!
Old 04-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

If you go with the all in one tool route, make sure you have an extra battery in addition to the one that would come with. I had a B & D trimmer awhile back and the battery never lasted as long as it should. That multi tool looks intriguing with the charger station that can keep you ready to go with a battery backup.

Do not go with anything electric, where you need a cord and it does not run off a charger. I think you will find that to be a real pain.

Get the ipod going and have at it!!
tedsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

well seeing that you got no trees, but a very large tree right next door....do you get a lot of leaves in the fall from those trees down the street from you? and from what i can see you do have alot of hedges but not sure if there are beds around them. so i would think a B&D edger would work for you. but with all the hedges i would go with a mod range price gas trimmers. so if not too many leaves in the fall a hand blower will work for you, cause after awhile using it your hands and arms will get sore. i got alot of trees so i use a gas back pack blower.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

I get a ton of leaves actually from the tree next door...there are no beds around the hedges right now
Old 04-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I have been using a Ryobi trimmer for the last 7 years or so and it works pretty good. It has a disconnect halfway down the driveshaft so you can switch it out with a edger, brush-cutter, blower, vacuum, etc. Just keep in mind that it will do all of these jobs o.k. but never as good as each tool would individually. I use the trimmer, brush-cutter for edging(it came with the trimmer so I didn't bother to buy the edger) and I was using a combo blower/vacuum. It wasn't the greatest but it was easy to shove the vacuum behind the shrubs and get a lot of the leaves back there.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

I think I might need to look towards something thats gas powered. So if anyone has one they want to sell send me a PM. I am looking for a hedger and an edger.

Thanks
Jason
Old 04-27-2009, 10:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbellis74 View Post
I think I might need to look towards something thats gas powered. So if anyone has one they want to sell send me a PM. I am looking for a hedger and an edger.

Thanks
Jason
In my experiences I would say stay away from any of the electric yard tools. If you use them very long at all they wear down fast. The power is weak to begin with and falls off in a hurry. I have seen people try to save a few bucks and buy electric or cheaper tools only to buy the tools three times when they could have bought something top of the line once.
Bottom line...You get what you pay for most of the time with lawn tools and power tools. The electirc mower is a joke if you have to mow any size yard at all.

I have Shindaiwa trimmer (weedeater). I would reccomend it over anything I have owned or used. Very powerful and light weight for the punch. I also prefer a striaght shaft trimmer. I don't know if you have thought about it but I personally hate a curved shaft trimmer. Shindaiwa also makes a whole line of other great tools.

"Sometimes it is better to remain silent and be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...."
bigmon80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:08 AM   #12 (permalink)

So it seems that all my power tools are craftsman so I was looking at this Craftsman 17 in. Gas Line Trimmer, 80th Anniversary Edition - Model 358-79180 at Sears.com

Thoughts...opinions...
Old 04-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have (5) goats I will sell real cheap---they will eat everything in site and fertilize your lawn for free

fidrych
shadetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

I never liked the power trimmers i have been ususing border shears for years heck at this point i guess you can call them vintage lol
Bill22 is offline   Reply With Quote