Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #51 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmag70 View Post
I doubt those figures factor in the tax breaks given to big oil.
They are pulled from the financial statements posted for publicly traded companies, so I would think they are included.
mr10pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #52 (permalink)
Member
 
hairysasquatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sunnyvale Trailer Park, Central NY
Posts: 2,817
Default

I think the economy will be sinking deeper in the crapper before gas hits $5 - even if it does demand will bottom out just like it did last year. Question for the old-timers: how does this recession compare with the mid-1970s and late 1980s/early 1990s?
__________________
You've got to lose your mind in Detroit Rock City!
hairysasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #53 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 9,371
Default

Those who think that either government rein in prices or the free market be allowed to work are too simplified and can't address the problem. The issues of gas prices are many, but speculation and a devalued dollar are the main reasons why gas prices are rising. The US #1 export is petroleum based products including gasoline, so to say "drill, baby, drill" will solve this issue is juvenile. Government needs to control excess speculation by levying a tax on speculative trading, and it must prosecute market manipulation trading. Market forces should be allowed to work, but not in a privatize the profits, socialize the risk, casino-like, non-regulated atmosphere. Oil and gas prices will rise and possibly lead to another 2008 moment when prices skyrocketed before the country went into recession.

The country has not learned its lesson from the last gas price explosion and the Wall Street/government agency revolving door has limited any prosecution of wrong doing these past four years. You get the crony government you elect. Bottom line: If the stock market rises, it means the dollar is being devalued and oil/gas prices will rise. It's that simple and it has nothing to do with government or drilling.
Razorsharp79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:46 PM   #54 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Trevorton,Pa
Posts: 1,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
I think the economy will be sinking deeper in the crapper before gas hits $5 - even if it does demand will bottom out just like it did last year. Question for the old-timers: how does this recession compare with the mid-1970s and late 1980s/early 1990s?
Compared to the late 80s and early 90s the unemployment level is much higher now. Those years did not feel near as bad.

The early 80s (82-83) had just as bad a rate of unemployment as now but I was still in school so I really can't compare it.

One thing I recall from the 80s were much higher interest rates. As high as about 18% on a 30 year fixed rate mortgage in the early 80s to about 10% at the end of the decade.
hhmag70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #55 (permalink)
Member
 
deboesports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: PITTSBURGH BABY!
Posts: 5,356
Send a message via Yahoo to deboesports
Default

BP 2011

Revenue US$ 386.46 billion (2011) [2]

Operating income US$ 39.81 billion (2011) [2]

Net income US$ 25.70 billion (2011) [2]

Total assets US$ 290.92 billion (2011) [2]

Total equity US$ 111.46 billion (2011)
__________________
"BUCTOBER"
deboesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:14 AM   #56 (permalink)
Member
 
alpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nevada
Posts: 723
Default You nailed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorsharp79 View Post
Those who think that either government rein in prices or the free market be allowed to work are too simplified and can't address the problem. The issues of gas prices are many, but speculation and a devalued dollar are the main reasons why gas prices are rising. The US #1 export is petroleum based products including gasoline, so to say "drill, baby, drill" will solve this issue is juvenile. Government needs to control excess speculation by levying a tax on speculative trading, and it must prosecute market manipulation trading. Market forces should be allowed to work, but not in a privatize the profits, socialize the risk, casino-like, non-regulated atmosphere. Oil and gas prices will rise and possibly lead to another 2008 moment when prices skyrocketed before the country went into recession.

The country has not learned its lesson from the last gas price explosion and the Wall Street/government agency revolving door has limited any prosecution of wrong doing these past four years. You get the crony government you elect. Bottom line: If the stock market rises, it means the dollar is being devalued and oil/gas prices will rise. It's that simple and it has nothing to do with government or drilling.
Absolutely. The supply of oil based products is good. Demand is way down from what it was 15 years ago. It's oil traders who are driving up the price. There's also refineries that are not at full capacity due to switching from a winter blend to a summer blend of gasoline & good ole maintenance. Thanks for a good explanation.
__________________
alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #57 (permalink)
Member
 
Tyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,624
Default

$4.39 at a station in Escalon. I paid $3.61 a gallon 2 weeks ago.
__________________
This is a clown forum, bro.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:05 AM   #58 (permalink)
Member
 
deboesports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: PITTSBURGH BABY!
Posts: 5,356
Send a message via Yahoo to deboesports
Default

Does anybody have a store that offers fuel perks? I use one that gives me .10 off a gal for every $50 I spend in food. And I get 1% food perks for every 10 gal I get. So that helps sometimes.
__________________
"BUCTOBER"
deboesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:13 AM   #59 (permalink)
Member
 
Nicnac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,060
Default

HEY LOOK TYLER!

The difference in this depression is ... are the jobs ever going to come back? I like that there are movements now to bring manufacturing back to the US but Wal-Mart will never stand for it.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:27 AM   #60 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
TOMBB25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Napa CA
Posts: 5,680
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
$4.39 at a station in Escalon. I paid $3.61 a gallon 2 weeks ago.
$4.39 in friggin Escalon? The cheapest gas I have found anywhere I travel in CA is in Ceres lol
TOMBB25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:28 AM   #61 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
TOMBB25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Napa CA
Posts: 5,680
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
HEY LOOK TYLER!

The difference in this depression is ... are the jobs ever going to come back? I like that there are movements now to bring manufacturing back to the US but Wal-Mart will never stand for it.
Big pressure on Apple right now since they are hitting record profits and are currently paying $1.30 an hour in China or wherever to make these gadgets. Bring some of these jobs to the US.
TOMBB25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:11 AM   #62 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 3,019
Default

$3.64 in Savannah. $4.09 for my diesel jetta
__________________
Anderdale
Anderdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:21 AM   #63 (permalink)
Member
 
MI Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMBB25 View Post
Big pressure on Apple right now since they are hitting record profits and are currently paying $1.30 an hour in China or wherever to make these gadgets. Bring some of these jobs to the US.
To all of us in the US, we all say bring those jobs to the US. People running these companies don't care about anyone but themselves and the company since they are all set. Paying $1.30 an hour to some Chinese people is more money for them, so why would they care?

The US is never going to be what it was. We are the "strongest" but the weakest at the same time.
__________________
:jedi::jedi::jedi:
MI Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:34 AM   #64 (permalink)
Member
 
DanDaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,314
Default

Why can't I get a students discount if I drive to school!!!!
__________________
Collect White Sox, Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks, CHICAGO!
DanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #65 (permalink)
Member
 
Tyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,624
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMBB25 View Post
$4.39 in friggin Escalon? The cheapest gas I have found anywhere I travel in CA is in Ceres lol
I work in Ceres. There's a little hole in the wall gas station off of Whitmore thats like $.20 cheaper than everybody else.
__________________
This is a clown forum, bro.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #66 (permalink)
Inactive Account
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northeast
Posts: 1,721
Default

The Supermarket i work for had a fuel reward program...... 10 cents off per gallon for every $50 you spend. You can accumulate the discount for up to three monthes before it expires....
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboesports View Post
Does anybody have a store that offers fuel perks? I use one that gives me .10 off a gal for every $50 I spend in food. And I get 1% food perks for every 10 gal I get. So that helps sometimes.
Bjsportscards77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #67 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
TOMBB25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Napa CA
Posts: 5,680
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I work in Ceres. There's a little hole in the wall gas station off of Whitmore thats like $.20 cheaper than everybody else.
Where do you work in Ceres if you don't mind me asking.
TOMBB25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #68 (permalink)
Member
 
Tyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,624
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMBB25 View Post
Where do you work in Ceres if you don't mind me asking.
On Whitmore

I work for Ad-Tech Computers (just started 2 weeks ago). It's a fairly big building like 100 yards west of Hwy 99.

3 or 4 years ago, I used to work in the Escalon Computers building off of McHenry in Escalon; thats next to the Mar-Val.
__________________
This is a clown forum, bro.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #69 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
TOMBB25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Napa CA
Posts: 5,680
Default

lol, small world, you work for Jim and Kevin. I worked there from 2000 - 2005 in Sales.

I think the only other person that works there that I would still know is Richard.
TOMBB25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #70 (permalink)
Member
 
37Jetson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 10,097
Default

Why can't straight shooters get a fuel credit for riding their skateboards to college that will still be valid when they get their licenses back?

Bonus points for anyone who understands this.

Oh and gas prices suck in South Central PA - $3.75 gallon right now. Obama does not seem to think that this is a big issue in his re-election bid.
__________________
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #71 (permalink)
Member
 
Tyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,624
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMBB25 View Post
lol, small world, you work for Jim and Kevin. I worked there from 2000 - 2005 in Sales.

I think the only other person that works there that I would still know is Richard.
Holy hell.... this is a small world. Did you work on the Big Valley side or the Ad-Tech side?

I got hired as a tech, but I've been doing a ton of wireless installs. They're moving forward with developing a WISP setup, and then selling VOIP phones over the low latency wireless links. They're also, as of last week, a CLEC. So you can imagine how happy they are to not have to work with Tele-Pacific anymore.

Idk who Richard is, but then again, I've only worked there for 2 weeks, and I'm usually out in the field.
__________________
This is a clown forum, bro.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #72 (permalink)
Member
 
lemur01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi mo money View Post
I blame the rednecks--- "deeeyyy tookkkk our jerrrbbbssss"---for using up all the gas in their v-12 trucks that they use to go muddin and grocery shopping at Walmart.
I blame tree huggers for not letting us drill to use our own oil.

I paid $3.75 a gallon for premium to fill up the Caddy in TN yesterday. Its not a sardine can on wheels that gets 60 mpg, but she sure rides nice. Like driving a #@#@#@#@ing waterbed.
__________________
Pull my Finger Have you been Lemur'd today?

Currently hoarding mountains of cards that I should be trading.
lemur01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #73 (permalink)
Member
 
Chargafan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,221
Default

I just paid 4.47 in Irvine, Ca, FML
__________________
Always looking for Tomlinson stuff I don't have, or anything that catches my eye


http://s237.photobucket.com/user/sbft2936/library/?sort=6&page=1
Chargafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #74 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
TOMBB25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Napa CA
Posts: 5,680
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Holy hell.... this is a small world. Did you work on the Big Valley side or the Ad-Tech side?

I got hired as a tech, but I've been doing a ton of wireless installs. They're moving forward with developing a WISP setup, and then selling VOIP phones over the low latency wireless links. They're also, as of last week, a CLEC. So you can imagine how happy they are to not have to work with Tele-Pacific anymore.

Idk who Richard is, but then again, I've only worked there for 2 weeks, and I'm usually out in the field.
I worked for the Ad-Tech side, I worked in the front sales office that opens onto the sales floor. Yeah, Jim and Kevin are always into a bunch of different stuff, they do a pretty good job of diversifying in that industry to try to compete with the big guys.

I worked there right out of high school until I graduated college, I also grew up on Service rd. so that whole area is my hometown.

Richard was an on-site tech, worked on the weekends with the auction park, if he doesn't work there any longer than I think Jim and Kevin are the only two that I still know around there.....looks like my legacy is dead lol
TOMBB25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #75 (permalink)
Member
 
vatechhokiefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dublin, VA
Posts: 2,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboesports View Post
Does anybody have a store that offers fuel perks? I use one that gives me .10 off a gal for every $50 I spend in food. And I get 1% food perks for every 10 gal I get. So that helps sometimes.
Kroger grocery stores has a program where you get $.10 off per gallon for every 100 points you accumulate in purchases. 1 point = $1. Wife uses the points for her commute which is approx. 50 miles each way.
__________________
Collecting New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Steelers, and San Antonio Spurs.
vatechhokiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.