Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #101 (permalink)

I liked ZonaCats suggestion of a TV

Also frequent customer cards? Like buy 10 smoothies, your next is 1/2 off (but with cards of course)
ajscards101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #102 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajscards101 View Post
I liked ZonaCats suggestion of a TV

Also frequent customer cards? Like buy 10 smoothies, your next is 1/2 off (but with cards of course)
Were going to do this with wax

ex.

buy 5 boxes get (x amount ) of dollars in supplies for free.
KEARYCOLBERT83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #103 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEARYCOLBERT83 View Post
Were going to do this with wax

ex.

buy 5 boxes get (x amount ) of dollars in supplies for free.
I think this should be put in retroactively so I can get 5000 packs of toploader
bigbensbff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #104 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbensbff View Post
I think this should be put in retroactively so I can get 5000 packs of toploader
Nope. No supplies for you. New policy is charge krup 3x market value on everything since your only taking 3 contenders.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #105 (permalink)

Quote:
Nope. No supplies for you. New policy is charge krup 3x market value on everything since your only taking 3 contenders.
Stop ruining my 12 step wax program! And I'm only taking two unless I hit a luck, rgiii, or Wilson redemption haha
bigbensbff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #106 (permalink)

No problem. We have alot coming so im sure well have some left a week after release.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:11 AM   #107 (permalink)

Come to my area instead!

Local comic store here is just rather annoying. Seems like everyday they have something going on during the day like a magic tournament or yugioh or whatever else there is. Now myself, I'm far from being ever interested in playing those. And from the looks of players, I don't have any friends like that. These kids are a wide age range that look like they don't shower and are hiding in the shadows outside of a comic shop. Idk how a shop would go around it, maybe just not having so many tournaments and games every single week. But there's nothing more annoying to me then going in to see if there's anything I want and I have to navigate around all these kids casting spells just to see products.

There's a tv in there, but again, it's always showing lame stuff..card battling stuff, game countdown. Nothing ever that a casual shopper would be in to. Show some cool stuff, some sports games, maybe if anything a recent movie playing or something. Idk, no offense to people that are into the card battling though.

And one thing I also hate about my local shop is the selection. I've never seen any non gaming cards. No non sport trading cards, no UFC, no baseball, football, etc. when I asked if he would have any walking dead boxes he said "if it's not for a gaming set, we won't have it"...like wtf, way to limit your selling audience.

Not saying doing have any Pokemon, magic, etc. but have a good variety. A good variety and good prices and you're set. This store would've got some decent money from me but they've yet to carry anything I want.

Other than that, organization. I know it's probably hard to keep comic books in order. But here they have a new release comic book wall. And it's alllll mixed up. There's multiple issues of different comics in the same metal stand slot on the wall. Nothing grouped together by same comics (all batman together, all Spider-Man together, etc). So it's basically impossible to find what you want unless you want to spend a good amount of time sifting through. Keep up on it, it wouldn't be hard to keep it organized

Last edited by CAS239; 02-02-2013 at 12:14 AM.
CAS239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #108 (permalink)

FREE FOOD!!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:10 AM   #109 (permalink)

The food thing may end up happening...atleast a coffee pot out for anyone to have a cup
Old 02-02-2013, 01:40 AM   #110 (permalink)

I need to visit your shop next time I'm in town.... PM me the address please!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:44 AM   #111 (permalink)

Also a suggestion, free supplies on any hits that you get while busting wax in store. The first LCS I even went to did that, and I remember going to another one and having the guy charge me an extra few dollars after having spent $60 on wax. As if I could leave the store without having the hits well-protected.... Bothered me quite a bit.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:48 AM   #112 (permalink)

Not many people bust in the store. If you hit something big we have no problem sleeving it for you.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #113 (permalink)

lol the topless one was a great idea...i wonder why some guy hasnt had his wife or gf do group breaks in the nude lol...way overcharge for the product but to see a woman and her bare breasts busting cases would be well worth the extra costs..obviously password protected so you had to be in the break to watch it lol...cash money right there haha
jerryw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:52 AM   #114 (permalink)
Banned

Some type of entrance rule, such as you must have showered within the past month to enter.

And a warning sign outside when new "magic" cards are released. Hit the LCS today...lit was magic release day I guess. See entrance rule above....
sdoug76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:33 AM   #115 (permalink)

Within walking distance of my house.
AKHMERICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:38 AM   #116 (permalink)

Not overpriced singles.

My LCS, has base cards for like $5, base cards you can get for like $1 on ebay with free shipping.
Also it would be dope to have a couple computers, to look up cards and stuff.

Ed Davis PC --> http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p525/MikeMamba/Ed%20Davis%20PC/
MikeMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:08 AM   #117 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Cornerstore

For a shop I would look for a few things to be honest in a "dream shop"

1) a owner that understands the hobby, I often go into shops that have 2004 topps gold label for the same price it was when they first got it and they wonder why it doesnt sell and it just collects dust. Sometimes dont have the new product out (bowmans esp) and that just irritates me at times

2) fair market prices - if blowout had individual pack sales at 2.79 and its at 2.99 thats fair, but some people just gauge individual packs/boxes like crazy

3) Activities - Group Case Breaks/trade nights/Autograph signings/pack wars have one event each, 4 per month, mix it up

4) TV with the game on, and a owner that doesnt mind giving a couple beers to his best customers

5) mix of 1-2 dollar jersey/auto cards - I know its silly but sometimes you can find a nice PC card in those sometimes, found a couple mussinas/mondesis on those i've liked (including a mondesi auto once).

6) Customer reward points, for every 100 dollars spent on wax get 10 dollars towards purchase of singles. Usually they buy singles below market price and sell higher then ebay they can usually make some money on this and you feel better getting a PC card you may not of spent on.

7) And most important, a owner who knows you, personable, will look out for you. One shop where i use to live had the group breaks and whatnot, store was much cleaner, but prices were crazy and they had a rotating group of people who ran the front. One or two of them I knew and they would hook me up, where the other guys didnt even know you and would help other customers. Down the road was a shop ran by one guy, who was always nice willing to talk baseball for a hour or two open some packs and was very personable. I make it a point to take the 30 minute detour when i drive back to my hometown (5 hour drive) just to visit buy some wax from him. He had guys who lets just say I wanted a on card david cone auto in yankees uni, same with mussina, he would find them, get them cheap, set them on side for me and give me a very fair price for (slightly more then ebay, but i was more then fine with that). So for me no matter what the shop does as far as it being clean, prices, selection of cards, the most important comes down to whos running the counter and helping #1 (me).

Just what I would want.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #118 (permalink)

For those who have mentioned Magic and gaming cards.

We dont mess with that stuff anymore. Even thought you make a ton of money on it, it just does not interest me and I dont want to look at it or talk about it Plus there is a 16,000 sq ft place down the road devoted to non sports, war hammer, magic, etc.

My store is only sports related. I get the occasional vintage non sports cards but its not a normal.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #119 (permalink)

I have only really been to one minor LCS, was not a fan for multiple reasons, but I would enjoy a few things -

Encourage busting and trading in store, maybe once or twice a month, charge like $5 or so for entrance and include a raffle for a free box or something.

Trades back to the store for store credit. Say someone busts a box and doesn't get any great hits, buy the contents back and give them a "mulligan discount" on a new box. Something along those lines, allows you to increase inventory and the person will buy more packs/boxes.

I saw the idea for a membership, definitely would recommend integrating Twitter/Facebook into it, some kind of online presence that associates discounts and contests with the membership. It's so easy to Tweet about an event or post it on Facebook, and many more people will see it than any other way. And stay up to date on any online accounts, when I see any store have a Facebook that hasn't been updated in months for some reason makes me not want to go there usually. Not sure why.

The LCS I've been to had such disorganized displays, I would want large areas and signs that easily show what are in the displays.

Punch cards for buyers, say a punch for every ten dollars spent, and when you get five punches get 10% off a purchase... something like that.

I do like the iPad idea for a store inventory - something that quickly lets people know what you have of a certain player or team.

Maybe some kind of bulletin board area of classifieds - people looking for trades, group breaks, finishing sets. Kind of like these message boards, but in person haha.

Highlight the hits that have been pulled in your store - have a board behind the register of the top hits each month, maybe a prize for the best hit of the month or something.

As far as having a TV for games and such, contests and food for big games would be a good idea. Maybe something like for every pack bought during the game, one entrance into a drawing for a prize, or score predictions, etc.

I'm sure I could think of more, but other than the good ideas I've read so far, this is what I would recommend. My main want would be a place I could go to bust boxes and trade and hang. More fun than buying a box online and busting at home!
nickk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #120 (permalink)

Quote:
The food thing may end up happening...atleast a coffee pot out for anyone to have a cup
Could I be your barista? I will work for cards.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #121 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieDively View Post
Could I be your barista? I will work for cards.
Haha I have actually thought about doing a new store that was half card shop half sandwhich/coffee shop...but that would require another license and alot more costs.

And those who mentioned me giving out beer...im pretty sure I would get in some trouble for serving alcohol without a license.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #122 (permalink)

Quote:
For those who have mentioned Magic and gaming cards.

We dont mess with that stuff anymore. Even thought you make a ton of money on it, it just does not interest me and I dont want to look at it or talk about it Plus there is a 16,000 sq ft place down the road devoted to non sports, war hammer, magic, etc.

My store is only sports related. I get the occasional vintage non sports cards but its not a normal.
Like I said, please come to south Florida lol.

I have no offense to the people that play magic, war hammer, etc..but it sucks a lot of stores cater to that stuff and the sports and non sport trading card stores are so few and hard to find.

I can find tons of magic and other gaming cards in the comic store, target, Walmart, toys r us, and more..but when comes to sports boxes and non gaming, it's near impossible.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #123 (permalink)

Quote:
Haha I have actually thought about doing a new store that was half card shop half sandwhich/coffee shop...but that would require another license and alot more costs.

And those who mentioned me giving out beer...im pretty sure I would get in some trouble for serving alcohol without a license.
Yea you'd need a license to serve beer and any other alcohol. And idk up north, but down here it costs around $100k to obtain it
Old 02-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #124 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS239 View Post
Yea you'd need a license to serve beer and any other alcohol. And idk up north, but down here it costs around $100k to obtain it
Its like 50-100 here too...but its not the costs. There is a waiting list to even be aloud to apply for it.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #125 (permalink)

Quote:
Its like 50-100 here too...but its not the costs. There is a waiting list to even be aloud to apply for it.
Yep..same down here.

Also have the lottery system. Don't know about other areas. But down here you can submit your name or establishment, go into a lottery style drawing, and once a year someone is picked and they receive a free liquor license.

Actually had a friend win, a miracle I know. His friends job is getting and selling liquor licenses through the state. So the plan was for my friend if he won to just sell his license to his friend for 95k. Then the guy would take it and flip it for 100k-125k or so.

My friend however though has a alcohol related charge on his record from years back. So unfortunately for him he wasn't able to claim it. Any type of charge in Florida that includes alcohol means you can't obtain a liquor license.