Blowout Cards Forums
Football promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #51 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to SethMurphy

thanks for the link, nice info

now that we are on the subject, what do some of you like to do for a dry rub on the ribs

PCs - Cito Culver, Ryan Callahan, Ryan Nassib college uni, Prince Amukamara autos #/25 or less, Jason Pierre-Paul, Eli Manning autos, Richter/Messier/Leetch
SethMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethMurphy View Post

now that we are on the subject, what do some of you like to do for a dry rub on the ribs
If you want an easy store bought rub, Stubbs makes a really good one.

When I make mine, I use cumin, cayenne pepper, brown sugar, granulated garlic and onion, chili powder, salt, pepper, paprika, and a few secret ingredients.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethMurphy View Post

There are lots of good ones out there and I have tried most of them. But if you make me say just one, this is it for me. Butcher BBQ Injections, BBQ Rubs, BBQ Sauces
Old 06-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #54 (permalink)

Believe it or not although I am a vegetarian hence the name mrveggieman I love bbq. I would put morningstar grillers prime veggie burgers and veggies on some aluminum foil and slap them on the grill whenever I am visiting someone for a bbq and they tell me it's cool if I bring my own food. I can't do that much out door grilling because of where I currently live but the next place that I live in Im going to make sure that it has a big yard for my grill and veggie burgers.
mrveggieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #55 (permalink)

My wife & I just bought a big green egg & are going to have it delivered this week. I love grilling and am excited to start putting this bad boy to use.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7290morint View Post
My wife & I just bought a big green egg & are going to have it delivered this week. I love grilling and am excited to start putting this bad boy to use.
Congrats! That's a really nice purchase. Be sure to find a good message board where you can find good cooking tips.

What are you hoping to cook to break that bad boy in?
Old 07-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiebunkerjr View Post
Congrats! That's a really nice purchase. Be sure to find a good message board where you can find good cooking tips.

What are you hoping to cook to break that bad boy in?
Thanks! We've had our eye on one for about a year now. I'm really hoping to do all sorts of stuff. I would say the top things I'm looking forward to making on it are (not in any order): pizza, pulled pork & ribs. I'm hoping it will be delivered this week, the Big Green Egg website has a forum with it, although I'm not sure how active it is.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #58 (permalink)

Anyone got big 4th of July cookout plans? I'm smoking on the 6th. I got my brother visiting from Kentucky and it's been a while since I smoked for him. I also have my folks and another brother coming over. I'm sure I'll have a few others join in by then as well.

I'm going to cook a little bit of everything. I'll wake up at 4:00AM to put some pork butts and a brisket on. I also throw on two racks of ribs for anyone who wants them and some boneless chicken breast wrapped in bacon for the kiddies. I'll also do a few ABT's because everyone loves those.

Let's hear your cooking plans.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #59 (permalink)

Well, I've had my big green egg for 5 days now and have cooked three meals. My first go around wasn't really photo worthy (pulled pork) but here are cooks #2 & #3.

Sunday I braised ribs (and the bones fell right out & the ribs nearly split in half when I picked them up with the tongs)

And today I made "beer can chicken" with Rosemary potatoes

So far even though my first cook wasn't "picture worthy" all have tasted better & have been easier to cook on my green egg than any other grill I've used (for the record I've used both a basic weber charcoal grill & a gas grill). Will be doing pizzas this weekend.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #60 (permalink)

Looks great!
Old 07-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #61 (permalink)

That's some good looking chicken and ribs. What fuel are you using?

Quote:
Well, I've had my big green egg for 5 days now and have cooked three meals. My first go around wasn't really photo worthy (pulled pork) but here are cooks #2 & #3.

Sunday I braised ribs (and the bones fell right out & the ribs nearly split in half when I picked them up with the tongs)

And today I made "beer can chicken" with Rosemary potatoes

So far even though my first cook wasn't "picture worthy" all have tasted better & have been easier to cook on my green egg than any other grill I've used (for the record I've used both a basic weber charcoal grill & a gas grill). Will be doing pizzas this weekend.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
That's some good looking chicken and ribs. What fuel are you using?
Thanks! Right now, just using the Big Green Egg brand of lump hardwood charcoal.

Will eventually start doing some smoking at some point, keeping it pretty simple for now though.

Last edited by 7290morint; 07-11-2012 at 01:49 PM.
7290morint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Anyone got big 4th of July cookout plans? I'm smoking on the 6th. I got my brother visiting from Kentucky and it's been a while since I smoked for him. I also have my folks and another brother coming over. I'm sure I'll have a few others join in by then as well.

I'm going to cook a little bit of everything. I'll wake up at 4:00AM to put some pork butts and a brisket on. I also throw on two racks of ribs for anyone who wants them and some boneless chicken breast wrapped in bacon for the kiddies. I'll also do a few ABT's because everyone loves those.

Let's hear your cooking plans.
Here are some pics of my cookout on the 6th of July. Everything turned out really good. The top three pictures are a brisket and two pork butts. I forgot to take pictures of the finished product. I slightly overcooked the brisket but the pork butts were superb.

I smoked a lot of boneless chicken breasts for storing in the freezer. We have three kids and it is so easy to pull a package of pre-cooked smoked chicken out of the freezer, thaw it and then reheat it in a pan with some chicken stock. It beats eating so much of the other junk that we sometimes eat.

I also smoked three racks of St. Louis cut ribs and some ABT's. ABT's are like crack for me. So good yet so bad.

Last but not least, my brother was gracious enough to stop by the candy shop in Kentucky and pick up some of Kentucky's finest bourbons for me. His nearby liquor store's bourbon aisle has more liquor in it than any store I have near me so I have him pick up a stash for me. Nothing better than bourbon to finish off a bbq meal.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Here are some pics of my cookout on the 6th of July. Everything turned out really good. The top three pictures are a brisket and two pork butts. I forgot to take pictures of the finished product. I slightly overcooked the brisket but the pork butts were superb.

I smoked a lot of boneless chicken breasts for storing in the freezer. We have three kids and it is so easy to pull a package of pre-cooked smoked chicken out of the freezer, thaw it and then reheat it in a pan with some chicken stock. It beats eating so much of the other junk that we sometimes eat.

I also smoked three racks of St. Louis cut ribs and some ABT's. ABT's are like crack for me. So good yet so bad.

Last but not least, my brother was gracious enough to stop by the candy shop in Kentucky and pick up some of Kentucky's finest bourbons for me. His nearby liquor store's bourbon aisle has more liquor in it than any store I have near me so I have him pick up a stash for me. Nothing better than bourbon to finish off a bbq meal.

Great looking stuff! I am definitely a fan of making extra and than freezing them. We purchased a food saver a couple of years ago and we use it all the time!
Old 07-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks! Right now, just using the Big Green Egg brand of lump hardwood charcoal.

Will eventually start doing some smoking at some point, keeping it pretty simple for now though.
Cool. I'm interested in getting a smaller smoker so that I can just cook for me, my wife and kids when I want to. My smoker is too big to start it up and cook just for us. I always figured when I go smaller, I would get a big green egg. I've heard that they hold consistent temps for long periods of time.

Be sure to update this thread with some pics as you cook more in the future. Also, if you don't mind, maybe you can show some step by step pictures as far a prepping your smoker and your food. I would be interested to get a better look at your smoker.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Cool. I'm interested in getting a smaller smoker so that I can just cook for me, my wife and kids when I want to. My smoker is too big to start it up and cook just for us. I always figured when I go smaller, I would get a big green egg. I've heard that they hold consistent temps for long periods of time.

Be sure to update this thread with some pics as you cook more in the future. Also, if you don't mind, maybe you can show some step by step pictures as far a prepping your smoker and your food. I would be interested to get a better look at your smoker.
Yeah, so far I am absolutely loving the big green egg. Absolutely holds consistent temps (it takes about 5 hours to cool down from a 350 F cook). I will definitely post some step by step stuff so you can get a better look! Will be doing pizzas this weekend (fingers crossed) will also maybe try to shoot some video.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #67 (permalink)

Made my 4th meal on the green egg today. Home made turkey burgers w/cheese. Here is a slightly more detailed account of my setup & process for today.

Here is my egg it's the large size.

It's really fuel efficient so most of the charcoal doesn't get used up in one cook, so I start by topping off the charcoal and arranging so it comes to the top of the "firebox"

Since I was shooting for around 420 F in temp I only used one green egg starter cube in the center (I also use one for pretty much anything lower). I'll be doing pizza tomorrow night so probably will need to get 2 or 3 cubes going. I then light the cube & it takes about 10 minutes to burn out & for the charcoal to catch.

At this point, I close the lid and let the temp start to climb. Once the desired temp is close, I close the bottom sash to much less (1 5/8 inch seemed to do the trick tonight)

and I also put the daisy wheel on (full open seemed to work tonight) also is used for finer adjustments with 10 degrees (the wheel slides over for a crescent shape as well)

Once the egg was pre-heated at 420 F I put my burgers on, and cooked about 6 minutes each side to give this end result:
Old 07-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #68 (permalink)

Used my green egg for the first time in about a week since I was waiting for some seasonings to come in. I had read about dizzy pig stuff from some other websites so I ordered some: Dizzy Dust, Swam Venom, Cow Lick steak rub & then the sampler to try all the others. We seasoned the majority of the wings with Swamp Venom, some with dizzy dust & some with Jamaican Firewalk. Cooked the wings over direct heat at 350 F for 30 minutes each side.

The seasonings:

Wings sitting in seasoning:

At the flip:

The end:

Some coated in Franks Red Hot Wing Sauce (they were all coated, but we kept them separate to know which were which).
Old 07-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #69 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Oh my....love this thread! For the record...low and slow is all I gotta say.

I love charcoal but hate to say I use gas. I do just makea smoker box (typically using mesquitte). Soak in water, wrap in foil and get it smoking. Cut flame on that side of the grill and at least get some extra smokey flavor.

Got 8 really nice seasons ny strips that are gonna meet the flame Sunday.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #70 (permalink)

Here is the end result of my pork shoulder today. 300 F, indirect heat for 3 hours with Dizzy Pig: Dizzy Dust

Last edited by 7290morint; 07-22-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #71 (permalink)

4.5 lb brisket for 9 hours today at 250 F. Just pulled it about 10 minutes ago, it's now wrapped in heavy duty foiled & towels sitting in a cooler for about 2 more hours.

Edit: Here is the final product...caved after 1 hour of sitting.

Last edited by 7290morint; 07-23-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #72 (permalink)

Had my first go around with a rack of lamb today. Grilled it at 350 F, indirect heat for about 35 minutes. Came out almost perfectly medium rare. Meat was very tender & juicy.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #73 (permalink)

And here I am having a pizza from Pizza Hut. All of this looks so good right now, but sadly our grill isn't working right now
Old 07-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #74 (permalink)
Banned

how do you get so much time to grill. ive used my egg maybe twice since June
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
how do you get so much time to grill. ive used my egg maybe twice since June
I'm essentially on paid vacation for the summer. I spent the past year as a visiting assistant professor at Colby College in Maine. Once the school year ended my appointment was done as I was just a sabbatical replacement (but my pay was over 12 months, so I'm still collecting pay checks). I have a job this year (in my home state of MN) as a visiting assistant professor at Gustavus Adolphus College & school doesn't start until Sept. So it's basically a paid vacation, with a lot of money spent on meat. We don't have any kids either so that helps...