Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #126 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by howethegreat View Post
omg that salmon and mushrooms looks awesome!
Thanks! It was pretty tasty. I've gone through about 70lbs of the lump charcoal already since I get the big green egg in March. I love trying all the new stuff I've never grilled before.
bigzig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:29 AM   #127 (permalink)
Banned

Swordfish Steak! It's the only fish I've been eating for like 4 months!!!! (Well, I dont include Salmon as a fish, it's part of my diet, like Lagunitas.
lrudometkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #128 (permalink)

Good looking stuff so far.........here are a few sites that I use......

Info on how to smoke numerous types of meat - Smoking Meat: Deejay's Smoke Pit, Smoking Meat,Cheese,Sausage,Herbs and Spice Blends, Canning,Brewing Beer

Tons & tons of rub recipies & stuff like that - http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Downl...0of%20Rubs.pdf

IMO those are some of the best sites that I have found......
NEEDS = '12 CHROME CHIEFS: #94 DONTARI POE RED AUTO /5, #49 CYRUS GRAY RED AUTO /5 , #102 TAMBA HALI RED /25 & ANY '12 CHROME CHIEFS PRINTING PLATES---------->'12 TURKEY RED SP'S = LUCK (PASSING POSE) & DOUG MARTIN (CATCHING BALL & TREES IN BACKGROUND)
Bucket - http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh515/Earlsnake07/
Earlsnake07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #129 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlsnake07 View Post
Good looking stuff so far.........here are a few sites that I use......

Info on how to smoke numerous types of meat - Smoking Meat: Deejay's Smoke Pit, Smoking Meat,Cheese,Sausage,Herbs and Spice Blends, Canning,Brewing Beer

Tons & tons of rub recipies & stuff like that - http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Downl...0of%20Rubs.pdf

IMO those are some of the best sites that I have found......
Thanks for the sites! Always looking for new stuff to try!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #130 (permalink)

Just picked up my big green egg this weekend. I've been reading up on it since I scooped it up on Sunday. I want my first time to be special with my egg so I am putting in some serious work before busting it out this weekend, I'm excited!
Old 05-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #131 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matpat21 View Post
Just picked up my big green egg this weekend. I've been reading up on it since I scooped it up on Sunday. I want my first time to be special with my egg so I am putting in some serious work before busting it out this weekend, I'm excited!
What size did you buy?

Let us know how it turns out!
Old 05-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #132 (permalink)

Quote:
You won't regret your purchase.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #133 (permalink)

I bought the large and I am pretty well versed in barbecuing but I was telling my brother that as weird as this sounds I am actually pretty nervous about cooking on this thing lol. I am usually never hesitant to do anything but I think it's because I've wanted this grill for a while now and I do want that first meal to be perfect lol. I'm leaning towards pork carnitas this weekend with pickled red onions and avocado.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #134 (permalink)

Quote:
I bought the large and I am pretty well versed in barbecuing but I was telling my brother that as weird as this sounds I am actually pretty nervous about cooking on this thing lol. I am usually never hesitant to do anything but I think it's because I've wanted this grill for a while now and I do want that first meal to be perfect lol. I'm leaning towards pork carnitas this weekend with pickled red onions and avocado.
The hardest part for me has been learning how to get the temp set right. And I know it's "user error" and not the grill. The BGE has been above and beyond what I was hoping for.

I also highly suggest getting the long table to set it in. It is a very nice table and provides a decent working space. A ceramic place setter is a must for indirect heat (smoking, breads, etc). I also got the cast iron grid w/ the grid lifter. The CI I seasoned with grape seed oil and it works great. What little bit that does stick scrapes right off with a wire brush.

Stick with the BGE lump charcoal. It's not that much more expensive, but it is so much better. I bought a bag of the cheaper stuff to compare, and the difference in the amount of ash was crazy. Not to mention some of the chunks that came out were huge. Way to big to use for normal grilling.

Feel free to ask any questions. I'm still "learning" but I've used mine a ton since I got it early March.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #135 (permalink)

So how much does one of these Big Green Eggs set you back? With the appropriate accessories.
Ooosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #136 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooosh View Post
So how much does one of these Big Green Eggs set you back? With the appropriate accessories.
Just under $2k.

Last year a few costcos in Canada carried the BGE in limited supply. I wasnt able to pick one up but they were $899.99 for the medium size I think. I know a few people that snatched them up.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #137 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooosh View Post

I got the large egg (259ish sq inches) the long table, cast iron cooming grid, ceramic place setter, and 2 20lb bags of bge charcoal for just over $1200. The grill itself was $750 originally marked. The medium was about $600. The XL was right at $1k with no accessories. The XL is humongous but would've been over kill for us. I cooked 4 full racks of ribs the other day on the large with ease.

It's a little pricey up front, but I'll never have to buy another grill again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Just under $2k.

Last year a few costcos in Canada carried the BGE in limited supply. I wasnt able to pick one up but they were $899.99 for the medium size I think. I know a few people that snatched them up.
I know you have the XL, but that seems high compared to down here. You also have to make sure you buy from an authorized retailer or it voids the lifetime warranty from what I understand.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #138 (permalink)

How well would a bge hold up in a move? I've got one or two left before I retire from the military.
jeffmagley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #139 (permalink)

I think we should retitle this thread, "The Big Green Egg Thread". It's pretty cool that so many people have taken to BGEs. I'm really enjoying reading this thread.

I don't have a BGE but I'm going to put my DPP Fat 50 to good use this weekend. My nephew just graduated so I am smoking 70 pounds of pork butts for his graduation party. Pork butts are $1.58 per pound at Sam's Club right now but they sell it for $1.45 per pound if you buy a whole case. Their cases vary from 60 to 80 pounds so it works out great for me to just ask for a 70 pound case.

That case will cost me about $100.00. I will need about $5.00 to $10.00 of bbq rub for the butts and $5.00 for a 20 lb bag of charcoal. 70 pounds of pork butt will finish off as 42 pounds of meat after the fat has melted away during the smoking process. So I have about $110.00 into 42 pounds of smoked pulled pork. Where else are you going to get a better deal than that?

I will be sure to take lots of pics of my cook on Saturday and I will try to post them before the weekend is over.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #140 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmagley View Post
How well would a bge hold up in a move? I've got one or two left before I retire from the military.
I would think as long as it's secured tightly it would be ok. It's ceramic so you obviously wouldn't want to drop it or have heavy items drop on it. Make sure it's sitting on level ground and you should be good to go. Maybe wrap the inner pieces in a heavy blanket to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiebunkerjr View Post
I think we should retitle this thread, "The Big Green Egg Thread". It's pretty cool that so many people have taken to BGEs. I'm really enjoying reading this thread.

I don't have a BGE but I'm going to put my DPP Fat 50 to good use this weekend. My nephew just graduated so I am smoking 70 pounds of pork butts for his graduation party. Pork butts are $1.58 per pound at Sam's Club right now but they sell it for $1.45 per pound if you buy a whole case. Their cases vary from 60 to 80 pounds so it works out great for me to just ask for a 70 pound case.

That case will cost me about $100.00. I will need about $5.00 to $10.00 of bbq rub for the butts and $5.00 for a 20 lb bag of charcoal. 70 pounds of pork butt will finish off as 42 pounds of meat after the fat has melted away during the smoking process. So I have about $110.00 into 42 pounds of smoked pulled pork. Where else are you going to get a better deal than that?

I will be sure to take lots of pics of my cook on Saturday and I will try to post them before the weekend is over.
I've had excellent food off of cheapy cheap grills as well. I used a cheap lowes propane special until I got the BGE this year. I'll never go back to propane again. A lot depends on the cook too. I love grilled food period. I'm just really happy I made the investment. My wife is too because she doesn't have to cook nearly as much.

Your upcoming smoke sounds excellent! Do you use any type of wood chips/chunks for extra flavor? Looking forward to the pics!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #141 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzig View Post

I know you have the XL, but that seems high compared to down here. You also have to make sure you buy from an authorized retailer or it voids the lifetime warranty from what I understand.
BGE head office for Canada is just down the street from me. There have been a rash of articles recently about the uproar of US border agency wanting to charge CDN citizens a fee for entering the US via land. This is all due to the fact that our dollar is hovering around or close to par making the deals in the US worth the drive. Everything in the US is literally worth the drive to buy rather than up here.

Same goes for the BGE. Its ultra expensive up here.

Here is where I bought mine from

Ontario Gas BBQ - Broil King, Weber, Napoleon Barbecues in Toronto (GTA)

I would put them at the top of the list for the place to go for your bbq needs around here. To give you an idea since they dont post prices of the BGE the Black Komodo is $950. Imagine what a true BGE would run if a Komodo sells for $950.

Everything is just really expensive up here compared to the US. My wife exclusively shops in the US (PA peach street and Buffalo Walden) now.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:27 PM   #142 (permalink)
Banned

During the summers, i work with my uncle in his BBQ business. We make and sell our own rubs and bbq/pepper sauces. Yummmm!!!!
Old 06-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #143 (permalink)
Banned

Not sure if it's allowed- per forum rules, but I'd be willing to sell our custom seasonings! Steak Rub, Pork Rub, Poultry/Seafood Rub, and Seasoning Salt- all better tastign with less sodium than the Name brands!!!

$5 a bottle and exact shipping costs!
Old 06-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #144 (permalink)

Bump this up. Early summer, lotsa grillin' and smokin'!
Old 06-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #145 (permalink)

Bought a new grill last weekend. Forgot the brand but it has 1 side for charcoal and another side for propane along with the side stove and a SFB(side fire box). Grilled (using propane) some marinated ribs, pork chops, and chicken wings. And grilled some steak with the charcoal. Also smoked some venison in the SFB. Lastly around 150lbs of crawfish for one awesome crawfish boil.
eBay sellers beware, I will leave you a neutral if you don't at least include a toploader when shipping a card. Feel free to block me if you don't ship with a toploader or secured card holder. That is all.
High-End Bucket: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/AvenOZ/High-End%20and%20HTG/

Last edited by CP3toOKC; 06-11-2013 at 09:19 PM.
CP3toOKC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #146 (permalink)

This is my sweet BBQ skills haha right outside my window. Sit down and watch tv, sit up and flip the chicken.
Attached Thumbnails
Official cookout, grilling, smoking and BBQ thread-image.jpg  
Oilngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #147 (permalink)

Had a nice cook out today but forgot to take pics.

Steak
Sausage
Burgers
Hot dogs
Ribs
Vegetables
Old 06-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #148 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Grilled up a couple of nice petite sirloin steaks with frill baked potato and steamed spinach.

Also picked up a rack of ribs. Will dry rum them tonight, throw them on the grill tomorrow afternoon and enjoy tomorrow night!

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #149 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfish2 View Post
Yes it was chicken on the grill (on the skewers were pineapple).

Tonights enjoyment...blackened 5 Pepper Venion Tenderloins w/asst. veggies (I have the first three skewers..wife has the 2nd three - just a little difference in preferences . Had 2 huge Portabella Caps that I diced and put with the onions. Going to let them roast for a little while - then not sure what I'll do with them. Thinking may join a pot roast later in the week.

This is the 2nd time Ive seen someone cook off meat on top of foil. Why? I saw someone last weekend bbqing goat chops on the grill but ontop of foil. Whats the deal?
Old 06-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #150 (permalink)
Banned

I also got a new type of charcoal roto last week. I stopped by a friends place who was grilling meat off and fell in love with it. Actually got two different ones. A Speducci and this cyprian style charcoal bbq....

In my garage after I put it together..

in action (not mine). Lamb being roto'd