Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 02:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default HD Television

Some commercial on the radio claims that 33% of households in the U.S. now own an HDTV. I don't think I buy that, but I'm (for now) just fine with a regular digital TV with cable. I have seen a couple football games in HD but I really cannot tell a difference outside of the larger screen area covered. Am I missing something here? It seems it may be great for sports, but seriously. Is it that big of a deal that I can see Conan O'Brien or Family Guy in HD?
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

It is a big difference. Buy an HDTV, & flip the channels back & forth. You will see it. Also, if you have a playstion 3, it's awesome in HD.
Jolietracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

You may have seen a HD TV that didnt have HD channels or good cables. Without the cables and HD channels there is little difference and a PS3 or bluray player will look amazing. If you get good HD and hook it up right you will not want to watch TV any other way.

"Sometimes it is better to remain silent and be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...."
bigmon80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

even without the cables you can get over the air HD and it's still a big difference.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to deboesports

watching sports on a HD is like your right there with the players. i love mine
Old 06-08-2009, 08:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
Some commercial on the radio claims that 33% of households in the U.S. now own an HDTV. I don't think I buy that, but I'm (for now) just fine with a regular digital TV with cable. I have seen a couple football games in HD but I really cannot tell a difference outside of the larger screen area covered. Am I missing something here? It seems it may be great for sports, but seriously. Is it that big of a deal that I can see Conan O'Brien or Family Guy in HD?
I thought the same thing until I bought an HDTV (1080p LCD) and got all the correct cables and boxes. As they always say "Once you go HD, you never go back". Or something like that. It's not just the picture. You have to account for the sound as well. I just bought Dark Knight on Blue Ray. It's crazy. I recommend HD everything if you can afford it.

Bucket: http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss196/Semper_Patsfan/
Semper_PatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jbellis74

Like Night and Day to me..

I cannot watch anything on a non HD channel anymore. They might as well remove all the non-HD channels from my package lol
Old 06-08-2009, 09:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

HD is so much better... my local channels (which are over 50 miles away) are in Standard still on Dishnetwork. I hate watching FB or any sport (especially UK games) in standard compared to HD.

I watch a bunch of the Discovery Channel stuff too, Deadliest Catch and all the scientific stuff. The detail you can see is incredible compared to the normal signal.

Go get one!! BTW, Popular Mechanics said there was no visible difference between buying the super expensive Monster Cables and the half way decent cables. So save your dough there for a Blue-Ray!

Collecting Brandon Phillips, Barry Larkin and Jesse Winker
Bigblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Just get a nice HDMI cable and be done with it.....they arent as expensive as they used to be
Old 06-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I would believe 33% own an HDTV, but that doesn't mean they are enjoying HD just that their TV can support the resolution, etc.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

I don't have the extra $$$ to by an HD TV(wonder why).

Plus I like to not know what channel I'm watching because it cuts off the station Logo.......LOL

checkoutmycards.com/Users/hockeyjunkie99
hockeyjunkie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerve View Post
I would believe 33% own an HDTV, but that doesn't mean they are enjoying HD just that their TV can support the resolution, etc.
You got it, I have HD tvs and no signal I am having a war with Time Warner. I called and asked why does your ad state "FREE HD only company with FREE HD"? If I want to get the signal I have to rent another box $6.99 a month, that is not FREE!! I pay $5.00 for the box I have now and if I get the box to hook up HD cables an additional $6.99, again NOT FREE!!
Change your ad or give it to me for FREE
To this day no HD and still the ad states FREE
Not cheap just tired of false ads!!!
They sent me an invite for phone service, states " free installation" if you use the self install kit Free installation NO $hit I have to install it
Old 06-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

I own 3 HD tvs and soon to be 4 Im gonna by the new sony 240 hrz refresh rate LCD tv right now I have a sony 120 hrz refresh rate tv in the living room its freakin sick I also have a plasma in my bedroom and another plasma in my spare bed room and im getting that new tv for my basement. I also have a 7.1 home theater system all this stuff is a must have especially if you love watching sports and bluray is awesome ill never go back. Trust by an HDTV and youll love it.
dallasfan671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajim View Post
You got it, I have HD tvs and no signal I am having a war with Time Warner. I called and asked why does your ad state "FREE HD only company with FREE HD"? If I want to get the signal I have to rent another box $6.99 a month, that is not FREE!! I pay $5.00 for the box I have now and if I get the box to hook up HD cables an additional $6.99, again NOT FREE!!
Change your ad or give it to me for FREE
To this day no HD and still the ad states FREE
Not cheap just tired of false ads!!!
They sent me an invite for phone service, states " free installation" if you use the self install kit Free installation NO $hit I have to install it

When I had Time Warner and was paying for my HD I called them and said the same thing. Their answer was its only Free to new customers and not exisiting ones.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

A lot of great advice here. Now, one more question. I'm in a single-person apartment so I'm not gonna get a 50" LCD, but does it have to be at least 27" or so to really get the full effect? I know 15" HDTV doesn't "not work" but it seems the bigger the better. Just not a 50". 27" is the size of my current TV so that's what I'm thinking anyway. The other trick is negoiating HD channels with my cable company. That could be fun...(I'm joking)...
Old 06-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

I have a 17" in one of my sons room and 2 26" sets 1 in my room and 1 in the living room. my other son for now has a 24" tube in his room. the smaller sets look just as good but they won't get 1080p as that resolution really has no visable difference unless the set is over 32". but to answer your question smaller sets do get the full effect as 720p and 1080i are great resolutions and the differnce between the 2 is almost nothing. now 1080p is great but most to zero tv brodcast will never brodcast at that as it is more for blu-ray ans stuff like that. there are some ppv's that state 1080p but I don't know anyone who has seen one yet as the rental cost via direct tv is expensive.

Bigger is not always better as I would rather have a great 26" than a cheap 50" in the long run the difference is there. all my sets are high end sharp aquos and sonys. be leary of the cheap sets no matter what kinda deal you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
A lot of great advice here. Now, one more question. I'm in a single-person apartment so I'm not gonna get a 50" LCD, but does it have to be at least 27" or so to really get the full effect? I know 15" HDTV doesn't "not work" but it seems the bigger the better. Just not a 50". 27" is the size of my current TV so that's what I'm thinking anyway. The other trick is negoiating HD channels with my cable company. That could be fun...(I'm joking)...
orguss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

That's why I always go with a Brand Name product. Not taking any chances...
Old 06-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

I would still recomend getting one that is atleast a 30" or bigger. The difference for watching movies is well worth it. Remember since not all movie formats are 16x9 you are still going to have widescreen bars on some movies and with some HD programing. Spend the extra money and you will not regret it down the line. Most 42" televisions are fairly resonably priced. Sony, Samsung and panasonic just went 240hz refresh rates on most new 09 models, you should be able to get a 120hz from last year from any major supplier (I am thinking crutchfield) for a signifantly reduced price.

Good luck, it took me a while to pull the trigger and spend 2.5k on a 52", but I have not regreted it since. I moved my Sony 19 inch 120hz HDTV to the bathroom to watch while taking dumps. Thats were it belongs (even though it was $550).
Old 06-08-2009, 05:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

Yeah. I suppose if I'm willing to go 27" why not get the 30" right?
Old 06-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Personally, I wouldn't go any less than 32" and I would only go that small in my bedroom. I honestly believe if you really what to enjoy the HD experience you need to go bigger or not go at all. Trust me you will not regret the investment. I do agree with orguss that you can't go cheap on the brand.

FWIW, I have a 46" but I would have gone 50+ if not for those stupid media nooks. They had one of these in the old house I rented.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #21 (permalink)

I have a 42", Directv and they have gone to 1080p broadcasting recently and I love it. When I got my new HD Dish my old tvs even started looking better. I think water to me is one of the biggest differences it looks like you can jump in at times lol.
icemansg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:16 PM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbellis74 View Post
Just get a nice HDMI cable and be done with it.....they arent as expensive as they used to be
don't waste you money on a nice HDMI cable , they are a rip off. Get one at HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #23 (permalink)

Yeah the price for the HD cables have come way down. You can pick up some good deals on Ebay. I just bought some for my mom at Sam's Club and it was $25 for the HDMI, AV, and AUX cables all in one package. Don't get cables any longer than what you need. For $30 or less you should do just fine with the cables.

"Sometimes it is better to remain silent and be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...."
bigmon80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #24 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to ceczerwonka Send a message via Yahoo to ceczerwonka

I would definitely recommend a bigger tv, but not too big if you are living in an apartment. I have a 65" DLP right now and I love it, but it will be interesting when I move as it is not heavy just big. You can really see the difference on this tv. I just have HDMI cables for my PS3 and Blue Ray player and they work great.
ceczerwonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #25 (permalink)

That's what I love about the new TV's too. No longer these wide, giant "Box TV's" that take two people to move around. I know these new ones aren't feather-weight, but still.