Blowout Cards Forums
Shop OneStopFanShop.com Today!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
Yeah that would be fair game, people bringing politics into everything is horrible, you don't know a thing about comedy. The #1 movie in America this week had a 9/11 joke which people laughed about..
Golden Rule of Comedy: Tragedy + Time = Comedic Gold
Old 06-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #52 (permalink)

I sent an email to CBS today which I know for a fact will result in absolutely nothing, but what he said was wrong. I'm sticking to it. I'm also not buying the "comedy" aspect. There are comedians who cross the line all the time. I was watching a Jim Norton special on Comedy Central and had to turn it off after about 10 minutes because every other comment coming out of his mouth was offensive.
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #53 (permalink)

Comedians are lazy anymore. They rely on a dumbed-down audience and filth to shock and awe them. Case in point, Dane Cook. Not funny (IMHO).. but comedy is subjective, some will find his ADD and stolen material funny.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #54 (permalink)

High five to your observation of how unfunny Dane Cook is It is not generational thing, he just is not particuraly interesting or funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
Comedians are lazy anymore. They rely on a dumbed-down audience and filth to shock and awe them. Case in point, Dane Cook. Not funny (IMHO).. but comedy is subjective, some will find his ADD and stolen material funny.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskell02 View Post
I don't see a need for him to apologize. It is what it is, a joke and should be taken at face value. Was it in bad taste, maybe. Should he have not used it/them, maybe. But all this PC BS is getting out of control. People need to sack up and grow a backbone. I'm getting tired of the way this country is breeding PC pussies who grow up to have no balls and take extra care to not hurt anyone's precious feelings. There is a line that should not be crossed on certain topics, but it is so damn blurred by double standards that who knows what they can and can't say without being chastised for it. And if anyone actually thinks that Letterman would make that joke about a 14 year old, you are an idiot.
Well said. People are way to sensitive. Now let's drink some beer, eat some red meat and bust some boxes or cases of cards or beer.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyomedina View Post
Well said. People are way to sensitive. Now let's drink some beer, eat some red meat and bust some boxes or cases of cards or beer.
It is probably hard to understand this is how things are done in the Rocky Mountain West. Now I am hungry for a steak.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #57 (permalink)

Does anyone like Daniel Tosh? Not the show he is on Comedy Central, but his stand up? It is like Dane Cook, only I think it Tosh is actually good.

Check me out on Sport Lots.
http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=mkeil250
fungi2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:01 PM   #58 (permalink)

Letterman is lucky he didn't do this during the last administration. Fired, blacklisted, sent to a secret prison in Syria. Let's get back to the country that cares about issues that hurt REAL people, not the rich and famous.
Like the recent Lebron hand shake 'fiasco', we use kids as an excuse when it's really WE who are offended.
I much rather we talk about unemployment, the economy, healthcare, insurance, education, pollution, oil dependence, etc etc, than some rich persons 'slutty' kids.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:24 PM   #59 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

Dane Cook is all about delivery and most of his stuff WASN'T shock and awe like his last special. He wasn't that bad til he blew up.

Everyone loved him when Harmful if Swallowed came out. Then he started doing arenas tours and you can barely hear the jokes now because the girls scream so loud at him.

Jim Norton is all shock, but that's who he is, he is unapologetic about it and hasn't ever hit the big time.

Zack Galifianakis is hilarious to me but most won't find him funny, even though he finally hit it big with the Hangover.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
Dane Cook is all about delivery and most of his stuff WASN'T shock and awe like his last special. He wasn't that bad til he blew up.

Everyone loved him when Harmful if Swallowed came out. Then he started doing arenas tours and you can barely hear the jokes now because the girls scream so loud at him.

Jim Norton is all shock, but that's who he is, he is unapologetic about it and hasn't ever hit the big time.

Zack Galifianakis is hilarious to me but most won't find him funny, even though he finally hit it big with the Hangover.

Not to turn this thread into a general comic discussion... but... I absolutely agree with you about Galifianakis. He is my favorite living comic but completely understand that 99% of the general public would probably hate him. Same went for my favorite comic of all-time when he was alive, Mitch Hedberg. I don't mind political humor at all, but I think the greatest comics can make people laugh without it.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post
Not to turn this thread into a general comic discussion... but... I absolutely agree with you about Galifianakis. He is my favorite living comic but completely understand that 99% of the general public would probably hate him. Same went for my favorite comic of all-time when he was alive, Mitch Hedberg. I don't mind political humor at all, but I think the greatest comics can make people laugh without it.
Hedberg was great to.

I saw Dave Attell live and he put on a decent show. I've always loved Zach though, got a couple of his DVD's.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:40 PM   #62 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

No love for Andrew Dice Clay or George Carlin, who are my 2 favorites of all time. You don't get much more vulgar and offensive than those guys...and thats why they were the best.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:21 AM   #63 (permalink)

carlin was great...didn't care for dice clay.