Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 01:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to davebo
Default One thing I continue to not understand about Ebay...

And I know it has been talked about on here before. But how does one card sell for $66 one day and $38 the day after? I had the Dwayne Bowe Patch Auto /99 out of Leaf R&S. On 12/4 that card sells for $66 (there was another that sold before that in the $60s as well) and then mine sells 12/5 for $38. Where are the bidders that bid between $38 and $65 the night before? I just can't figure it out.
davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

davebo, I wish I had the answer to those ?'s. I have been on both sides of this and it makes no sense. That is why a lot of my items I have just started to list in my store. I have talked with my good friend about this and we laugh at it so much. He doesn't do much with sportscards anymore but he will sell Video Games and CDs and it is the same way with those things. I dont understand ppl sometimes but never will even begin to try to understand them.
wolffer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have been on the other side too. But $28 is an extreme difference. A lot of times I'll see a $8-$12 difference but wow. Having looked at the ending prices for the other ones the night before, I definitely feel let down. Oh well, instead of losing $300 on the case now I'll lose $328. Didn't I say I was going to stop busting cases a few months back? I have to get back on that saddle again.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

hey, i said this 2 weeks ago, when i had a 2 bowman heritage prospect sets of 1-100 ending 30 seconds apart. both started at 9.99, buy it now $15.99, same shipping $6.50 priority...the first set had 6 bids at $15.88 with minutes to go, the 2nd set had 0 bids and ended without bidders, so i relisted next day and got $19.09, lol
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbre...QQfsooZ1QQrdZ0
brentandbecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

This is really very simple stuff ... it takes 2 bidders interested in an item to run up the price. If there are not 2 bidders online looking at your auction when it ends, or they didn't enter proxy bids, then the price will not run up ... if there is only 1 bidder the price will not run up. Ebay is a total crap shoot .. you cannot expect pricing to be predictable on Ebay unless the item is highly sought after. Even then ( I can think of the XBOX 360 craze) you may run into 'down' times when there are not enough interested parties to run up an auction.
TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

That's not really the point. The point is if Bidders 2, 3, 4 were willing to pay $50, $58 and $64 on Auction A why don't they look at Auction B which is at a much lower price and bid. I looked and nonw of the losers from the first auction even bid on my auction a day later.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Again .. total unpredicability ... they were excited about it at one point ... lost interest the next minute .. I've done the same thing when bidding ... many times it is a spur of the moment .. impulse buy. That's why second chance offers very rarely get taken ... they're no longer interested, even at a price lower than what the auction ended at. It's the nature of online auctions in the 21st century and the Internet Age. Do I sound like a professor now?
TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

fixated on that auction...or for instance in my case, didn't see the auction, or if it ends the next day, didnt get on to bid....cost me a few Tulo's lately!
iluvfish2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think it all evens out eventually with getting more or less for stuff. I sold my Bears quad jersey last night for more money than the seller who had the same card ending right BEFORE mine. The first one listed on 12/1 sold for almost double of what his (the 2nd) and mine (the 3rd) sold for 4 nights later.
There is one ending tonight that may sell for more than mine ended for last night. Its all about timing and who is on at a certain day and time or remembers to bid on the card they've had on their watch list before it ends.

Plus we all know that some sellers have built in "bidding aids" that tend to get them a few more bids and a little more money than others.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote