Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I'm bored so I thought this up - LOOK

THIS SHOULD BE INTERESTING SINCE I'M BORED..........I'm looking for the most underrated players, past and present, in todays card market. Using the 4 major sports, throw out who you feel are the greatest players of today and yester-year that get no hobby love or are ridiculously undervalued on fleabay or even Beckett. Only use a MAX of 2 players for each part of the 4 sports. REMEMBER, I'M LOOKING FOR THE MOSTUNDERVALUED SO PUT SOME THOUGHT INTO THIS IF YOUR GOING TO ANSWER. Here are mine :

FOOTBALL
PAST - 1.) Otto Graham (10 title games in 10 years winning 9 says it all) certified 97 Legends autos can be had for less than $50. Fleer SI autos for about $20.- $25. RIDICULOUS !!!
2.) Fran Tarkenton (4 SB appearances, every passing record known until Marino came along)autos and even vintage don't go for much. An afterthought in the hobby.

PRESENT - 1.) Brian Westbrook (having ANOTHER great year and no increase in his cards values) some of his rookies book for the same as DeShawn Foster ?
2.) Torry Holt (his numbers are ridiculous yet does anybody buy his stuff ?)listed as a semi-star in Beckett... HUH ?

BASEBALL
PAST - 1.) Steve Carlton (look at his numbers, arguably the best lefthander ever) autos and most vintage are under $10 on fleabay.
2.) Rod Carew (one of the greatest hitters of his time) Does anyone outside of the Twin Cities consider him more than a common ??

PRESENT - 1.)Miguel Cabrera (big numbers every year and with only 1 DECENT true RC, Topps Chrome Traded) sells for well below the average across the board of players with similar numbers.
2.) Curt Schilling (one of the best money pitchers EVER) compare his sales to even lesser players. Love him or hate him the guy wins.

HOCKEY
PAST - 1.) Mike Bossy (before there was the Great One, this guy was the best pure scorer in the league and has the Cups to prove it) autos and even tough RC are ridiculousy low.
2.) Joe Mullen (one of the top scoring and best American born players EVER) way too many people are disappointed when he is their pack hit because of his lack of hobby respect.

PRESENT - 1.) Henrik Zetterberg (might be the most skilled offensive player in the game today) forget Crosby and Ovie, compare his card sales to even lesser players like Spezza and Joe Thornton. It better be something spectacular to fetch any kind of premium on fleabay.
2.) Daniel Alfredsson (might be the best all around player in Ottowa but is in the shadow of Spezza and Heatley) not much of a fuss made over his stuff.

HOOPS
PAST - 1.) Moses Malone (one of the most dominant centers in the league during a time when it was a big mans game) Picked up his auto for $12. delivered - great for me but sad for the hobby.
2.) Marques Johnson & Sidney Moncrief (all stars on a team that was always in the playoffs) Who ? Outside of Milwaukee does anyone even remember those Bucks teams of the late late 70s and early 80s ? I don't even know if Johnson's RC books anymore. Got a PP Legends Moncrief auto for .99 + shipping last year.

PRESENT - 1.) Tim Duncan (all the rings and numbers of a certain HOFer)compare his overall sales to LeBron, Wade, and even Kobe. What a joke.
2.) Elton Brand (one of the best PFs in the game today) He is a FA after this year so maybe a change of scenery will get him some respect. Put him on the Knicks, Sixers or even across town on the Lakers and watch sales increase.

O.K. WHO DID I MISS ???

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

I can chime in but only from a baseball perspective since that's mainly what I focus on.

Present
1. Johan Santana - the guy is one of the top 5 in the game today but his stuff is very easy to come by. I'm a Santana collector and I've never had a problem getting the things I want. Of course, once he moves to Boston or LA or wherever, that will certainly change

2. Chipper Jones - yeah, a couple of his RCs are priced really well but what I mean here is that he doesn't seem to get the love from Topps or UD. When's the last time you saw a really nice Jones card in any set?
Crash1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

I agree and I had Santana in mind as well BUT if he goes to the Sox or Yanks and has a Cy Young type season watch his stuff take off then.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to j_b_77

Off hand a couple names come to mind.
Michael Strahan. He's the sack leader of all time now and there seems to be no fan base for his stuff.
Marvin Harrison. Since he never does anything ridiculous like um..TO or any other flashy commercial making Player seems to me nobody even realizes who catches the majority of the balls that come from Peyton Manning.

Both RC's are so undervalued IMHO.

Wade Boggs. How many batting championships did he win? How much is his RC?
j_b_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
ter

As a Reds fan:
1. Tony Perez- The glue that held the Big Red Machine together. RC $80 because it is a SP 1965 hi #. Autos under $10. Listed as a minor star. Come on, this guy is a HOF. Take a look at his stats. Called the best clutch hitter ever.

2. Dave Concepcion- The best shortshop of the 70's. Doesn't get any love because he was the fifth best player on the team. Better offensive numbers than Ozzie and maybe just a notch below Smith on defense. 2300+ hits, 390 doubles, 950 rbi's, 320+ sb's. Listed as a minor star but typically found with the commons. Should be in the HOF.

Football:
Any stars from the 50's or 60's. Most people don't know anything about YA Tittle, Lenny Moore, Bobby Layne, Lou Groza. Most cards in decent shape can be had for about $20. Compare them to baseball stars from the same era.
ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jughead Send a message via Yahoo to Jughead

Kind of all over the place here:

Martin St. Louis
The Sedin Twins
Alan Trammell
Bill Buckner
Terrell Owens
Marshall Faulk
Hakeem Olajuwon
Old 12-06-2007, 10:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

I was thinkin Boggs...but lets not get a rush on his stuff...I've still got a very large wish list of his stuff

But what about Lawrence Taylor or Reggie White?
iluvfish2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ill go with robin yount and jay novacek (sp) the last decent TE the boys had prior to Witten---that includes the hand picked (Aikman) David Lafleur.

fidrych
shadetre is offline   Reply With Quote