Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can we define a "lowballer"?

So I keep seeing threads accusing people of "lowballing" offers on here.. I thought we should hash this out as a group a figure out what a "lowballer" really is....

In my case.. I always ID myself as a dealer and try to offer 20-30% below eBay. This allows me to to sell an item for the eBay price.. and collect around 10% profit after all fee's are paid. When I pay taxes, I lose even more money on that 10%... so I feel I offer pretty fair. Is this "lowballing"?

Let's hear what everyone has to say.....
Old 06-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

There is no need for you to have "rabbit ears" when you hear the lowballer term thrown around. You are taking this too much to heart. If you make a legitimate offer it is the seller's responsibility to decide if they want to sell for that price. For small transactions it might be worth it to take 20%-30% less.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

This is not gonna end well
Old 06-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
There is no need for you to have "rabbit ears" when you hear the lowballer term thrown around. You are taking this too much to heart. If you make a legitimate offer it is the seller's responsibility to decide if they want to sell for that price. For small transactions it might be worth it to take 20%-30% less.
I wasn't talking about me specifically.. and I actually think more people will agree with me on this one... I am talking in general.. what defines lowballing?
Old 06-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Personal opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imac7065 View Post
I wasn't talking about me specifically.. and I actually think more people will agree with me on this one... I am talking in general.. what defines lowballing?
BostonNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
Personal opinion.
and that's exactly what I am asking lol.. your personal opinion and everyone else's
Old 06-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

You asked for the definition of a lowballer.

There isn't one. It's everyone's person opinion.

Quote:
and that's exactly what I am asking lol.. your personal opinion and everyone else's
BostonNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

I dont think there is such a thing as a lowball offer.

I personally feel that any seller that puts "Best offer" is actually presenting a card for sale and willing to take less than the price listed for. If he/she was not willing to cheaper than the price would have been firm.

I entertain all offers for my cards. As much as I am looking to get the most for my cards, the buyer is usually looking to get the lowest price for my card. I understand where they are coming from.

Remember, if you dont like offers, then dont accept any. Post a price that is firm. If you dont mind entertaining offers then have at it and list it as a Best offer.

I personally see all offers as an oppurtunity to sell. If not today, maybe next time when it comes to an offer from a potential buyer
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
You asked for the definition of a lowballer.

There isn't one. It's everyone's person opinion.
*shakes head*.. this is probably my fault.. but once again people aren't getting me lol...

I said lets define it together.. hash it out I believe were my words... there's too much silly name calling on these boards. This is one of the causes of it.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

There is such a thing as a lowball offer. It's a not "serious" offer--either you are taking me for a sucker or you haven't done your research.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
There is such a thing as a lowball offer. It's a not "serious" offer--either you are taking me for a sucker or you haven't done your research.
ok ... so how low is too low? (% wise).. I know guys who "cant" pay more than 50% eBay because they don't think it's worth their time otherwise.. I'd love to hear opinions on this
Old 06-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
ok ... so how low is too low? (% wise).. I know guys who "cant" pay more than 50% eBay because they don't think it's worth their time otherwise.. I'd love to hear opinions on this
Well, I sell a lot on eBay, so it's probably different for me. If someone is wanting 40% or more off average eBay price, that's a lowball offer to me.

I know some people open their negotiating that way, but I just don't agree with that. Don't waste my time and I won't waste yours.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, I sell a lot on eBay, so it's probably different for me. If someone is wanting 40% or more off average eBay price, that's a lowball offer to me.

I know some people open their negotiating that way, but I just don't agree with that. Don't waste my time and I won't waste yours.
That's why I try to be in the area I said before.. I want to be fair to both the person selling me the item, and myself at the same time. I get a lot of deals done this way.. but still get called a lowballer all the time lol

My favorite was one I made a thread about.. I offered someone $60 for about $85 worh of eBay items and they called me a "donkey lowballer" haha
Old 06-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Personally, if someone tells me to make an offer, I do one of 2 things:
1) I will not respond. If they respond threatening to sell the cards, I tell them go ahead. I do not need to buy from a desperate seller. I can get rude.
2)I will make a lowball offer. I think the majority of us are big boys and girls. Most of us can search ebay quickly.

Tell me what you want. I have surprised people esp for hard to find cards. If it is close to ebay for a difficult card, I tend to pay higher. I think of the time it took to find the card.

Anyone wanting to pay only 50% of ebay is just trying to make money and should be ignored. LOL.

Lowballer=flipper, not collector.

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited by drtom2005; 06-05-2012 at 10:09 PM.
drtom2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtom2005 View Post
Personally, if someone tells me to make an offer, I do one of 2 things:
1) I will not response. If they response threatening to sell the cards, I tell them go ahead. I do not need to buy from a desperate seller. I can get rude.
2)I will make a lowball offer. I think the majority of us are big boys and girls. Most of us can search ebay quickly.

Tell me what you want. I have surprised people esp for hard to find cards. If it is close to ebay for a difficult card, I tend to pay higher. I think of the time it took to find the card.

Anyone wanting to pay only 50% of ebay is just trying to make money and should be ignored. LOL.

Lowballer=flipper, not collector.

Thanks,
Tom

This line made my eye balls hurt
Old 06-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
This line made my eye balls hurt
Why? Do people go into Best Buy/Target and negotiate? I do not see the difference unless someone is trying to make a bunch of money off someone.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

Then why put up a Best offer? Why dont you put a firm price on it and let it sell? You are asking for people to send in their low offers when you put Best offer.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

Because you typed "reponse" instead of "respond" twice. Kinda made for a difficult read.
GoTribe!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTribe!!! View Post
Because you typed "reponse" instead of "respond" twice. Kinda made for a difficult read.
Sorry typing too quickly. It happens. LOL.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

/thread
Old 06-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post

/thread
Old 06-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teambo1634 View Post
dude those girls are like 16 haha
Old 06-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Whats your point, you aint looked away yet.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teambo1634 View Post
Quote:
I'm sorry she doesn't have ID on her, but them boobs are NOT 16. Oh my.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post

/thread
AMEN, this is the answer! - yet another dumb thread - yeah
SacGWYNN19 is offline   Reply With Quote