Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,848
Default New car or continue upkeep on old car

I currently have a 2002 Civic. No car payment, just regular oil changes, brakes, etc. But lately I have had more frequent problems with some belts, check engine light coming on, etc. I can't decide if I should get something new or just keep putting money into the Civic.

Pros of a new car:
Should be reliable and worry free for a few years
Cons of a new car:
$200-$250 a month payment (I can afford it, I just don't know if its worth it)

Pros of keeping the old car:
No car payment, maybe $1,000 a year in upkeep.

Cons:
You never know when something could go bad. Don't want to have the transmission or something big go out and I get $0 trade for my car. Right now I can get $3500-$4000

Any thoughts?
jr24ai3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
hasayrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,323
Default

Run the 02 into the ground. Put away the $200-$250 a month and when the Honda kicks the bucket you should have a good chunk down saved for a new one. Cars are a pain in the ass regardless. Just because it's new doesn't mean it will be problem free. Why have the payment AND repair/maintenance costs?
hasayrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,881
Default

Kinda funny...going through the same thing...almost....currently driving a 99 altima 110,000 miles on it and brakes and other things are going down(A/C only works on hi, window doesn't go down, etc)...cost to fix brakes and worn tie rods, about $700

or

I have my dad 1997 nissan sentra, slightly smaller, body has rust, bumper cracked, but only 50,000 miles...

had to decide whether to fix mine and keep my dads as a backup or just junk mine and take my dads

good luck in your decision, i would ride the civic as long as you can....civics usually last pretty long
__________________
Not looking for anything specific...usually will just looks through buckets and lists to see what catches my eye.
http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/cardpic
PC: Yao Ming, Chicago Teams, Jessica Burciaga
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
imbaked247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,252
Default

Being that I have an auto background and my bro works for honda I would say fix it and keep on trucking. Belts and other things like that only last so long so you put a few $ into it and save towards a new ride. Dont forget a car payment also means higher insurance and do not hot rod racing around and you will be ok.
imbaked247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
paul06901's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,746
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24ai3 View Post
I currently have a 2002 Civic. No car payment, just regular oil changes, brakes, etc. But lately I have had more frequent problems with some belts, check engine light coming on, etc. I can't decide if I should get something new or just keep putting money into the Civic.

Pros of a new car:
Should be reliable and worry free for a few years
Cons of a new car:
$200-$250 a month payment (I can afford it, I just don't know if its worth it)

Pros of keeping the old car:
No car payment, maybe $1,000 a year in upkeep.

Cons:
You never know when something could go bad. Don't want to have the transmission or something big go out and I get $0 trade for my car. Right now I can get $3500-$4000

Any thoughts?



Funny thing, I'm in the EXACT same spot!

I have a 2002 Honda Civic EX with about 105k on it.

I bought it and had no problems, then all of a sudden almost $2500 in problems recently! I can't afford to keep fixing it, it's just not worth it!

My check engine light is on, due to a cat converter which is another $600 fix on top of the $2500 I've put in so far for plugs/wires/struts/springs/axles/new tires/etc/etc


I've been furiously researching what to do.

I love not having a car payment, but the older car brings so much stress and uncertainty when something goes wrong. It's not just the $$$, but the whole event when something goes wrong.


At this point in my life, I am about 75% sure my next move will be leasing a new car. Keep me going for 3 years then I can decide what I'd like to actually own once I have some more $$$ saved up and a better job.


I know leasing isn't for everyone, but I do love the fact that I can drive a nice, new car and have really no stress that something will go wrong...and if it does, I'll have rental and the car fixed in no time.


It's really odd that you posted this and we have the same exact car and are really literally in the same exact position with it haha!
paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
paul06901's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,746
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbaked247 View Post
Being that I have an auto background and my bro works for honda I would say fix it and keep on trucking. Belts and other things like that only last so long so you put a few $ into it and save towards a new ride. Dont forget a car payment also means higher insurance and do not hot rod racing around and you will be ok.
To everyone saying to keep it, I thought that as well.

But the real deal here is, Honda civics are GREAT .. and will last FOREVER ... but only if the previous driver(s) TOOK CARE of them!

My civic was obviously abused and neglected ... and now I'm dealing with all the issues/problems. I fix one thing, and it's something else! It's literally never ending.

When that's the case, it's best to dump it and start over fresh.

In the future, I will ONLY purchase a used car if it has only had ONE owner and is a middle-late aged man with clean driving record/carfax. It sucks to stereotype ... but in this case, I have no problem doing so haha
paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
imbaked247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul06901 View Post
To everyone saying to keep it, I thought that as well.

But the real deal here is, Honda civics are GREAT .. and will last FOREVER ... but only if the previous driver(s) TOOK CARE of them!

My civic was obviously abused and neglected ... and now I'm dealing with all the issues/problems. I fix one thing, and it's something else! It's literally never ending.

When that's the case, it's best to dump it and start over fresh.

In the future, I will ONLY purchase a used car if it has only had ONE owner and is a middle-late aged man with clean driving record/carfax. It sucks to stereotype ... but in this case, I have no problem doing so haha
I agree get a car from a old lady and its never been beat up
imbaked247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul06901 View Post
To everyone saying to keep it, I thought that as well.

But the real deal here is, Honda civics are GREAT .. and will last FOREVER ... but only if the previous driver(s) TOOK CARE of them!

My civic was obviously abused and neglected ... and now I'm dealing with all the issues/problems. I fix one thing, and it's something else! It's literally never ending.

When that's the case, it's best to dump it and start over fresh.

In the future, I will ONLY purchase a used car if it has only had ONE owner and is a middle-late aged man with clean driving record/carfax. It sucks to stereotype ... but in this case, I have no problem doing so haha
I am the only owner and have always kept up on the maintenance. I do like my car, but its always fun to get something new. And I have been in the same car for 10 years. My main worry is something big ($2000) will come along, and its almost not worth fixing. Then I will regret not trading it in for $3500-$4000.

At least with a new car, if something goes wrong in the first 3 years I can take it to the dealer under the warranty.
jr24ai3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Nicnac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasayrs View Post
Run the 02 into the ground. Put away the $200-$250 a month and when the Honda kicks the bucket you should have a good chunk down saved for a new one. Cars are a pain in the ass regardless. Just because it's new doesn't mean it will be problem free. Why have the payment AND repair/maintenance costs?
That's the problem though, deciding when it has kicked the bucket. People often trap themselves in a situation where they spent $200 to fix something so they're keeping it. Next thing costs $500 so now they feel they're deeper in the hole. The next costs $1000 and so on.

My wife's coworker spends a few hundred dollars every few months on random this, random that and has exactly the mentality that she is invested in the pile of junk. Even if, IF, she is spending less fixing this car than she would on a new one, it's not right that she often finds herself stranded somewhere...

Last edited by Nicnac; 06-07-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
tnarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Banned
Posts: 12,609
Default

You'd be a fool not to keep the civic. What's a new car sell for these days? $16-30k?

So you put a few grand into it over the next 5 years. You're still saving tens of thousands. I'm totally an anti-payment guy. Only payment I can justify is a mortgage. Like someone else said, take that $250 a month, pay yourself with it. Invest that $250 a month over the next 60 months, see how much money you have. Minimum $15k if you earned 0 interest. Then go shopping for a car and figure out that it's just a set of wheels, yours still runs fine, and you'd rather have that liquid versus a new car.

Drive it til it dies.
tnarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
mainerunr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasayrs View Post
Run the 02 into the ground. Put away the $200-$250 a month and when the Honda kicks the bucket you should have a good chunk down saved for a new one. Cars are a pain in the ass regardless. Just because it's new doesn't mean it will be problem free. Why have the payment AND repair/maintenance costs?
new cars come with something called a warranty so you're looking at maintenance.
mainerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.