Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2007, 11:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does this bother anyone else about going to the movies?

My wife and I went to see Golden Compass tonight. It was scheduled to start at 7 p.m. The projector did turn on at 7 p.m., but the actual movie did not start until 7:26. Why? Because we got 26 freaking minutes of commercials and previews. WHY???!!!!!

There were 10 commercials. 10!!! And then we had seven previews. Now I admit I like to see a couple previews but I don't think we need seven. And did I mention 10 freaking commercials?

Sorry for the rant, but this getting out of hand. Does everyone else experience this when they go to the movies?
Rich_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

We get to the theatre about the time the movie is supposed to start. Usually get in line for the popcorn and drinks. By the time we get a seat its about movie time. The commercials SUCK. I don't know why we have to pay to watch them. At least the popcorn is always great!
hargy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

that's why i spent some money on a 143 inch screen and hd projector, saves money and time in long run..plus i get unlimited popcorn and bathroom breaks
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbre...QQfsooZ1QQrdZ0
brentandbecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yea I am with you guys, the bad thing is you never know when the movie is going to start. Sometimes it starts exactly on time (only when you are late) and sometimes it starts 30 minutes late (when you are early). Yea best bet is to stay home and watch it on your big screen tv.
jacobbigshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

I cant remember the last movie I went to see because of these reasons. I would rather watch at home and not pay 10 per person to see a lot of crap that has been out there.
wolffer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

So...was the Golden Compass any good? The previews look great, but I was told I should stay away. What are your thoughts? I would like to see it and probably will in a week or two.
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

What I find interesting is that it's the big chain theaters (like Carmike in my area) that kill you with commercials, etc... But a privately-owned theater doesn't do it. There is a privately-owned, two-screen theater in town that only shows one or two commercials and one or two previews and then starts the movie. Only about five minutes of pre-movie. And it only costs $5. We go there first, but since they only have two screens, sometimes the movie we want to see isn't there.

I would think the chains get some sort of kickback for the commercials and they still charge $8 or $9 bucks to get in and make me sit through 26 minutes of crap!
Old 12-08-2007, 01:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
So...was the Golden Compass any good? The previews look great, but I was told I should stay away. What are your thoughts? I would like to see it and probably will in a week or two.

I thought it was good. Certainly not mind-blowing or anything. It has a bit of a Narnia feel to it, but darker. My wife really enjoyed it. One of the ways I rate a movie is by the audience, and what is going on in the theater (like people getting restless, kids talking, just general loss of interest-type things). That didn't happen during the showing of the Golden Compass I went to. It held everyone's attention.

Why were you told to stay away?
Old 12-08-2007, 03:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffer12 View Post
I cant remember the last movie I went to see because of these reasons. I would rather watch at home and not pay 10 per person to see a lot of crap that has been out there.

Me too, I may hit the theater once a year.