Blowout Cards Forums
Miguel Sano

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does anyone else here suffer from Anxiety and Depression?

Haven't gone to see my primary doctor in a while because I thought my anxiety and depression was getting better, but over the past two weeks it hasn't been that good.

Don't want to go into it too much right now but if any of you do, what do you guys do to help?

EDIT: Updated in Post 34 for newer information

Last edited by Ajax1723; 12-29-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax1723 View Post
Haven't gone to see my primary doctor in a while because I thought my anxiety and depression was getting better, but over the past two weeks it hasn't been that good.

Don't want to go into it too much right now but if any of you do, what do you guys do to help?
I have dealt with anxiety problems for over 2 years now. At first tried a bunch of different stuff (non prescription wise) exercise, talking to someone regularly, etc. Medication is the only thing that has consistently worked. Doesn't fully eliminate the anxiety but it allows me to actually deal with & complete tasks that I need to.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Identifying the triggers and learning how to avoid them is for sure one way to reduce the amount of both that you're feeling.

Not sure what you do for a living, and if you have health benefits, but if you do, look to see if EAP is an accessible option. You'll usually get 3-5 free visits with an EAP contracted behavioral health professional that could more than help you with coping and managing.
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajikey View Post
Identifying the triggers and learning how to avoid them is for sure one way to reduce the amount of both that you're feeling.

Not sure what you do for a living, and if you have health benefits, but if you do, look to see if EAP is an accessible option. You'll usually get 3-5 free visits with an EAP contracted behavioral health professional that could more than help you with coping and managing.
I'm only 22, so still under my parents Health insurance as I'm still in college, and don't have a full time job (My job is buying and reselling online, so nothing in the way of benefits), and I was seeing someone. But I'm in SE PA(which you would think would have a lot of good places) and I've been to two of them, and can't find a reliable therapist. First one told me I was "wrong" when I explained how I was feeling, and the other would tell me the same thing no matter what the situation, and wouldn't prescribe anything. So still searching, but nothing great as of yet.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajikey;2857661[B
]Identifying the triggers and learning how to avoid them is for sure one way to reduce the amount of both that you're feeling.[/B]

I think this really depends on the what the source of the anxiety is. For me it was dissertation writing & finishing. I was really overwhelmed with the whole experience and it was something I couldn't avoid. So while some are avoidable, not all are.

Quote:
I'm only 22, so still under my parents Health insurance as I'm still in college, and don't have a full time job (My job is buying and reselling online, so nothing in the way of benefits), and I was seeing someone. But I'm in SE PA(which you would think would have a lot of good places) and I've been to two of them, and can't find a reliable therapist. First one told me I was "wrong" when I explained how I was feeling, and the other would tell me the same thing no matter what the situation, and wouldn't prescribe anything. So still searching, but nothing great as of yet.
You might want to consider a primary care physician or whoever you see for your yearly physical. Telling them you've tried other methods & they will more than likely be willing to prescribe you something. That's what I did, when I had gone for my physical, told them I'd been dealing with anxiety, tried talking to others & he agreed that trying some medication would be a reasonable thing to do. I've been on it for over 2 years now (as I still deal with anxiety over other things).
Old 06-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7290morint View Post
I think this really depends on the what the source of the anxiety is. For me it was dissertation writing & finishing. I was really overwhelmed with the whole experience and it was something I couldn't avoid. So while some are avoidable, not all are.

You might want to consider a primary care physician or whoever you see for your yearly physical. Telling them you've tried other methods & they will more than likely be willing to prescribe you something. That's what I did, when I had gone for my physical, told them I'd been dealing with anxiety, tried talking to others & he agreed that trying some medication would be a reasonable thing to do. I've been on it for over 2 years now (as I still deal with anxiety over other things).
Yea that is what I ended up doing, I'm on Klonopin now for the Anxiety, but its getting harder to get stuff for the depression. Used to be on Celexa but that prescription has long since ran out.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Stop smoking weed
Old 06-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

I had mild anxiety issues for about 2 years when I was in my late 20's. Honestly once my mother reccomended I go see a doctor I just started going, and eventually my anxiety problems were at a level where I could control them.

You'll never really get rid of anxiety, but you can reduce it to a level where it's hard to notice at all.

Don't know about depression though.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
I had mild anxiety issues for about 2 years when I was in my late 20's. Honestly once my mother reccomended I go see a doctor I just started going, and eventually my anxiety problems were at a level where I could control them.

You'll never really get rid of anxiety, but you can reduce it to a level where it's hard to notice at all.

Don't know about depression though.
Yea like I said above, still trying to find a reliable doctor. Just trying to get through in the meantime.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Exercise and eating right helps. Writing down what is bothering you can be helpful as well.

Finding the right therapist can be tough--there's a lot of psychos in that field. I got lucky on the third try.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Exercise and eating right helps. Writing down what is bothering you can be helpful as well.

Finding the right therapist can be tough--there's a lot of psychos in that field. I got lucky on the third try.
Tell me about it. I didn't even go to another one I picked out because my friend said that he went to her and she told him that he should try not being anxious. Really, you get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to say that?

It's just getting really bad, haven't wanted to do anything card related recently, which is a big deal to me because its the thing I like doing the most after Bowling, which I've also had no interest in, so its really concerning me
Old 06-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm not sure of your religious beliefs but if you you do believe in a higher power prayer helps. You can also try yoga and meditation. Also eat a well balanced diet, get plenty of rest and drink lots of water.
mrveggieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Tell me about it. I didn't even go to another one I picked out because my friend said that he went to her and she told him that he should try not being anxious. Really, you get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to say that?

It's just getting really bad, haven't wanted to do anything card related recently, which is a big deal to me because its the thing I like doing the most after Bowling, which I've also had no interest in, so its really concerning me
The problem is that a lot of them got into the field because they have their own problems that made them interested in it to begin with. The ones I ran into have a few traits that annoyed me:

1. Trying to save you
2. Keep talking about themselves
3. Trying to compete with you
4. Can't handle your problems

Personally, I find medication is good for maintaining but you don't grow much using them. That's enough for some people, but I wanted to try and work through my problems. It took me a long time, but I'm finally getting there after about a year altogether of therapy and years of work on my own.

Good luck to you and feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited by monkeymcgee; 03-23-2015 at 11:59 AM.
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmaster View Post
Stop smoking weed
Start smoking weed.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

I'm manic depressive with bipolar. I use basketball as.my release and play everyday as therapy. My therapist is a joke and is about as useful as the meds he prescribes me. Find an outlet and use it as often as possible.

Last edited by GatorBoyInTN; 06-21-2012 at 02:25 PM.
GatorBoyInTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

If you're into reading, this is a good book --

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157...P681N5FGDHN1T0

Only a small part of it may apply to your particular situation, but you may be able to pull some helpful tips and tricks out of it.

I work for a national EAP provider -- in a very non-clinical role. If you have an EAP associated through your parents' health plan, give it a run. The program is free.
endthecurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

I was dealing with major anxiety issues after I quit smoking four years ago. I had a panic attack so bad that I ended up in the hospital and I was prescribed Ativan. Everything was good for a few years, and then for some reason it popped up again a few months ago. I couldn't sleep or focus on anything other than worrying about stupid stuff. Ended up going to the doc and getting sleeping pills and Zoloft. The sleeping pills helped a lot but the Zoloft made me nauseous so I stopped taking it. I did start going back to the gym 5 times a week and eating right. That, combined with getting a full night of sleep, pretty much got me back to normal. I don't need anymore meds - the exercise, sleep, and healthy diet took care of it
Old 06-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajshack View Post
I was dealing with major anxiety issues after I quit smoking four years ago. I had a panic attack so bad that I ended up in the hospital and I was prescribed Ativan. Everything was good for a few years, and then for some reason it popped up again a few months ago. I couldn't sleep or focus on anything other than worrying about stupid stuff. Ended up going to the doc and getting sleeping pills and Zoloft. The sleeping pills helped a lot but the Zoloft made me nauseous so I stopped taking it. I did start going back to the gym 5 times a week and eating right. That, combined with getting a full night of sleep, pretty much got me back to normal. I don't need anymore meds - the exercise, sleep, and healthy diet took care of it
Yea Panic Attacks started mine too, about 5 years ago or so. Same thing happened, gotprescribed Ativan, it worked for a while, stopped working, and they they gave me Celexa and Ambien for sleeping, which helped, but then it got to a point that if I didnt take it I couldnt sleep at all, which was bad.

Been doing the excercising thing for a little now, it helps a little, but not asmuch as other people have said it did for them.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #19 (permalink)

Serious question, do you smoke - anything? That is a huge contributor to anxiety disorders. Especially pot
Old 06-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Stop smoking weed
Actually this and Xanax are the only things that help with my anxiety. Too bad I cant take either
Old 06-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Serious question, do you smoke - anything? That is a huge contributor to anxiety disorders. Especially pot
Nope definetly not, hate smoking of any kind
Old 06-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Medication is the best thing. I have been on anti rage since I was for 6 years. Best move ever. You will feel so much better when they kick in
w8lifter28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Get yourself two or three girls............ and see how fast it'll all go away.

Keep your chin up, and if you ever wanna talk, you can always come here to your BO family
SportsItUpCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsItUpCards View Post
Get yourself two or three girls............ and see how fast it'll all go away.

Keep your chin up, and if you ever wanna talk, you can always come here to your BO family
I have a girlfriend who lives with me, so thats probably a bad idea

Been really bad last few hours, feels really weird not liking it
Old 06-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
I have a girlfriend who lives with me, so thats probably a bad idea

Been really bad last few hours, feels really weird not liking it
Punch the clown, that may help