Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 12:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why are some people idiots? Last time I go to this card shop.

Ok. First let me say everyone has the right to name there price for a card but don't be ridiculous.

Todays LCS experience.....

I went to my hometown to do a little fishing today. Had a good time and was loading up the boat and heading home from the lake when I get a call from a friend that said he is at the card shop there and the owner had called him and needed to make some money to pay bills he was way behind on and would cut deals to raise money. I have only went to the shop maybe 4 times before and the owner always wants almost double for his boxes and his loose packs almost always yeild nothing but he tends to have good hits from the same questionable boxes. Not to mention his loose cards he always wants hi book or a few bucks less.

Today I should have known better. I go to the LCS and meet my friend who is already in negotiation and he is getting the same ole crap. The owner is wanting close to hi book. Don't forget there is a stack of bills on the counter that are way past due and he is getting sued for something also. Almost all the same cards the owner had the last time I was in there were still there (wonder why). He is going on and on about how awful the internet is and how it has ruined the hobby. Well I wait for a while and my friend passes on what he had picked out. Well now it is my turn. I start going thru some boxes and pull out 10 or so cards and I just tell him that I don't want to waste his time or mine and that I won't pay by BV. Well we agree on a card here and there. Almost every card he has to flip thru his Beckett to look up the price. Well we had agreed on a price for 5 cards I think and were still talking about a few others from the first box.

Now comes the good part. The guy is looking thru the Beckett and just starts dropping f bombs. F@#$ this and F#$% that. You guys just want to rip someone off and think you can just get my cards for nothing. I don't have to sell a F#$%$ thing. He goes off for a minute or two and says forget it and takes back the cards we had already agreed on and puts them back in his box. Before all this took place 4 kids had walked in ranging in age from 12-16 and were looking mostly at comics and got to hear this guys ridiculous rant. Well I stopped the guy and said that I wasn't trying to rip him off that is why I told him from the start BV means nothing to me and if he needed to make some money I would help out and buy some stuff but not for double the price I could get it for elsewhere. He says "F@#% it I don't need this S#!^ you guys are setting a bad example for my customers"

By customers he meant the kids that are usually in there to buy a few comics and maybe spend 10 bucks topps. I had wad of cash in my pocket to buy cards at normal prices and he had the stack of unpaid bills with the ridiculous attitude and goes off on this uncalled for rant in front of the kids. I would say he is the one setting a bad example. It took a lot but I just laughed and told the guy good luck but I wanted to say so much more but because of the kids I turned the other cheek. It is still eating at me the nerve of this guy.

I just can't see having thousands in bills piled up and turning away customers that are willing to pay a fair price just to let the cards sit and collect dust. Not to mention acting like a total jackass... Why?

"Sometimes it is better to remain silent and be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...."
bigmon80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Kinda funny. About the f-bomb thing, he shouldn't be doing that in a shop, especially with kids around. I bet the thing he is getting sued for is verbal harassment of some other customer who didn't want to pay his B.S prices!!
soccerkid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
hog
Banned

Same thing happened to me but not that bad sorry man.
hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

What a D-BAG!! I mean this guy needs a serious attitude adjustment, you just dont treat people like that.(At least the people I know)
He is going to do this to the wrong person.... and wish he diddnt talk to them like that!
Old 07-08-2009, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

sounds like someone is struggling to make rent for his store. LOL.
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
ND3

Bigmon did you piss on the floor at least? That is customary when the LCS owner goes on a tirade like that. Next time open the packs with your teeth that will really help to calm him down.

Yeah once the moron starting flipping through the Beckett I would have dropped trough and pissed on the floor.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

ahhhhhhhhhh the customary nick entrance. LOL
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ha............ idiot.

my bucket: photobucket.com/albums/ww33/crazybearsfan22/
crazybearsfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND3 View Post
Bigmon did you piss on the floor at least? That is customary when the LCS owner goes on a tirade like that. Next time open the packs with your teeth that will really help to calm him down.

Yeah once the moron starting flipping through the Beckett I would have dropped trough and pissed on the floor.
Yeah. I had a few senarios play out in my head but it would have been all or none so it was best I left. I was thinking about taking all my boxes of base cards and junk by there in a few days and telling him there is at least $10,000 worth of BV there. No need to thank me you can get out of debt now.

I clear out some junk and he gets $10,000 to get out of debt. WIN/WIN

"Sometimes it is better to remain silent and be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...."
bigmon80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Don't ever go back. Simple as that! Tell all your friends not to go back either!

Now Collecting: Ken Griffey Jr. & Kevin Garnett
guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:28 AM   #11 (permalink)

If this guy is looking to sell sports cards at ridiculous prices, he shouldn't do it as his full-time job. Double BV= no customers. Maybe he should work at McDonald's. He'd have a better shot.
RedSox82696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:34 AM   #12 (permalink)

Just a pathetic waste of a business, someone with no class as well. Now I understand Hobby Shops are trying to make a buck and that's why prices are higher than online vendors but c'mon. There's been times to where I've been at some places and they won't let go of some singles for the life of them just b/c beckett has them booking high they feel they are sitting on a stockpile of cash.
It's obvious they didn't want to work with you, it's a shame. Probably end up having to close their shop soon.

I had one great experience at a LCS that actually closed down after 20yrs. I ahd gone there many times before and he had his boxes marked up pretty high but was throwing out the 20% off all boxes to make it seem good. Well I just chatted with the owner privately and told him "you & I both know many of those boxes will never sell, why don't you make me a real deal and I'll take quite a few off your hand. Also, I'll pay cash to save you any credit card fee's"
He then sold me everything I wanted at ebay prices, some actually lower! I bought ALOT of boxes that day!
bjtheman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

FACT: The internet has done many harmful things to the hobby.

FACT: There are still hobby shops that have survived, so he doesnt get to complain based on his practices.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

I think that you pretty much explained it all. He has a stack of bills for a reason. He has no revenue therefore can't pay his bills. This guy I'm sure is an old time collector and hasn't evolved with the current hobby trends. You need to get over the fact the internet is here and it's no going anywhere. The card shops that I go to are having to change their business practices in order to stay afloat. They need to lower prices and add gimics to attract customers. The one I go to in Northern Virginia has a weekly silent auction of customers cards. Great idea. It is a big money maker? No but it attracts customers because it's fun. Which is why most of us are in this hobby.

Bucket: http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss196/Semper_Patsfan/
Semper_PatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote