Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Nintendo Wii For P.E. Class?

Found this on the website for a local video games store in my hometown:

"On March 11, Fulton School proudly welcomed Dubuque's Video Games Etc. as our business partner. Represented by John and Dan, Video Games Etc. donated a Nintendo Wii System to Mr. Ruba's P.E. classes, along with two Wii Fit games. Fulton School is very grateful for the kindness of Video Games Etc. Students at Fulton will soon be using these amazing video games in P.E."

First off, can't only like two people play at a time, and two, it's pretty sad if you ask me that P.E. classes think this is the same thing as real "exercise". I don't have one, but either way I think it's BS to say the Wii is actually "exercise", at least to the point where it's being used in required P.E. classes at grade schools.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

It can be legitimate exercise. Padres All-Star closer Heath Bell largely contributed his weight loss this past off-season on playing Wii everyday with (and without) his kids. The problem is, it doesn't have to be exercise regardless of what you're playing. And in a school gym class, if you don't want to fully participate (and most don't) its little more than exercise of the wrist. In senior/retirement centers, it makes much more sense for them to use the Wii as "exercise" as anything is better than nothing. But the health benefits of the Wii are what you make them yourself. You can play as effectively whether you're on your feet moving around and working up a sweat or sitting on a couch flicking your wrist.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

I can understand it in senior centers because they're not able to run, use a treadmill, etc. I also know first-handedly that there's always a group of 5-10 people who sit around while the rest of the class plays whatever sport they do. I just hope this isn't the ONLY thing they're doing in class...And like you said, if they're using the correct games it's more exercise than others.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

This might actually get more kids into PE though instead of sitting out.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

So when parents ask their kids who their PE teacher is, do they get to say Super Mario?
ilovethelakings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
This might actually get more kids into PE though instead of sitting out.
But even then like I said, they don't make games for 20 kids to play at a time. Maybe the other kids run laps while they take turns 2 at a time playing the Wii...lol.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

I guess you guys have never played Wii Fit before. If you do it right, it is a pretty good cardio workout. It is really better than nothing for some of these kids that sit on their fat asses all day long and get no activity. Now if only the schools would start enforcing participation in gym class again instead of letting the kids sit out because the don't feel like playing badmitten or whatever crap they are passing off as gym now.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskell02 View Post
Now if only the schools would start enforcing participation in gym class again instead of letting the kids sit out because the don't feel like playing badmitten or whatever crap they are passing off as gym now.
I never understood that. Don't make kids take it if they're not going to participate. I for one always participated...gym class was the one place I could compete with my classmates because I was too short for any real sports after grade school...
Old 07-09-2009, 08:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
I never understood that. Don't make kids take it if they're not going to participate. I for one always participated...gym class was the one place I could compete with my classmates because I was too short for any real sports after grade school...
When I was in high school(7 years ago). We had to take at least 2 years of PE and it was required every year before high school.

We eventually had advanced PE which was more fitness/weightlifting orientated. I passed on that because, I never was a big fan of sweating in school. I just stuck with baseball/golf after school.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

In high school we had a "fitness week" where we ran the mile, did pushups, situps, etc but otherwise it was basketball, whiffle ball, archery, etc. Pretty much the same group (mostly girls) that just sat around all the time. They require you to take P.E. not participate in it, I guess. Why the teachers didn't care if someone just sat around who knows?
Old 07-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

well my PE teacher was coach of varsity mens basketball and varsity girls volleyball(state champs) and coach of sexing up the underage girls so he was usually busy
Old 07-10-2009, 02:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Actually some of the games 4 people can play.I was also one of those people who thought the exercise aspect was bs.Until I got the chance to play it.After about 3 minutes of the boxing I broke out in a sweat and switched to something else.
emr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:26 AM   #13 (permalink)

Some games are more beneficial than others, I'm sure. I doubt Wii Bowling or Golf is gonna give you a workout...lol. But I could see where Boxing or Tennis could work...also of course the Wii Fit is very beneficial as well...
Old 07-10-2009, 08:38 AM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jbellis74

So without going through all the other posts I can say this.

I work for the NYC Dept of Educations Fitness and Health Education department. We have 1.2 million students and we have been testing the Wii Fit in some of our schools.

Today's Obesity epedemic is out of control and we all need to try to get our kids to excercise more often. Along with some of my co-workers I think this is a great idea.

Zacky and whoever said the same thing that some games are more benefical than others is 100% correct. However; just about every game that the Wii offers gets you to move in one way or another. So bowling and Golf would help you more than anything on the PS3 or the XBox.

If you have a Wii, play a few sets of the Tennis in Wii Sports. You should break a sweat and its a ton of fun.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:00 AM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

I do with just the bowling! But yes, I think this has some benefits. But even for say some of the really overweight kids, this may be the first step in trying to find a way to help get more exercise into their life. If they like it, there is a chance mom and dad may buy one, in which case the entire family may get some added benefits.