Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2007, 07:37 AM   #26 (permalink)

Many of the comments on this thread are comical... I'll get a firestorm of reaction, but this topic is just too hard for me to ignore (can't stop typing...).

To think GPAs are meaningless is absolutely ignorant and an indication of not knowing what goes on in 95% of the real world (yes, there are a few exceptions so we don't need to hear about them). But if you are going to rant about it - go ahead and scan your diploma, last paycheck and birth certificate so we REALLY know! I'll tell you about the people working in my departments that counter that. It's like they discuss on the local sports talk shows here in Dallas - the $30,000 millionaire - the guy who makes $30,000 but says he is rich, acts like he is rich, spends like he is rich - but is fooling no one, not even himself.

Back to the GPAs...

a) It can be checked at any time, even when you least expect it. My company is one of the components of the Dow Jones average and we DO check them, so good luck with lying.

b) Depending on the field you decide to go in, a low GPA can eliminate opportunities. Get a 3.5 to 4.0 in Accounting, you're guaranteed a great paying job out of college (yes, you still have to perform once in the position). Get less than a 3.0, you're not even going to smell 99% of the interviews with good companies. Yes, there are other fields where GPA isn't as important - but you better damn sure know that based on your major and what you ultimately want to do.

c) Most importantly, in my opinion, it shows work ethic, responsibility, pride, commitment, priorities, etc. - these traits simply cannot be turned on and off. These carry on in life. While in college, I worked 50 hours a week to pay my own bills, partied my brains out, and still carried a 3.8+ GPA in Accounting (it can be done). For each and every Bill Gates and other successful businessman/entrepreneur that didn't go to college or made bad grades - there are literally 1,000s of others that are not even marginally successful. Don't be fooled by the success stories you hear about....

It absolutely takes a combination of book smarts and street smarts - not enough of either one is a recipe for disaster. More important than both of these, however, is attitude (accountability, pride, work ethic) and interpersonal/relationship abilities (ability to lead/motivate, "getting along well with others" while getting the job done & commanding respect, etc.). I've seen NUMEROUS people with incredible books smarts AND common sense - but they lacked in attitude or interpersonal skills and I have never seen one that I would deem highly successful.

It takes the complete package. I guess it's in how you measure success as well... My view is obviously much loftier than some others when it comes to a career. Having said all that, if my career comes at the expense of my family - I'd gladly flip burgers as my #1 priority is my wife and 3 boys. But, because I busted my a$$ in college, got a great job day 1, have worked very hard every hour of every day I've been employed - I've received promotions and exceptional bonuses and raises throughout my career - and this has allowed me to provide a great FINANCIAL life for my wife and boys so far. The rest is up to me...

If I had the energy, I'd post this on the BMB to get some laughs on how the kiddies react! What % of them do you think have a clue about real life??

Just my $2.00...
thekramers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:15 AM   #27 (permalink)

Great post TK5.
martyogelvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:39 AM   #28 (permalink)

I totally agree Kramer. I know it is harder for some people to do what they need to do to get good grades, but it is crazy to think that you will be better off by not doing well in college. One really funny thing I read was that tests are biased???? Your bs writing is more of an indicator of your capabilities? That is crazy to say since you are saying that you just talk around the point. Tests in college are very rarely biased as they are straight from the professor's notes and/or reading assignments. At least in my grad program, I have not had a "test" in forever, because it is all going towards writing as way to get better information. I guess if you ever get there, you can bs your way to a Master's. I guess I just cannot believe that some people devalue education as much as you have. My opinion, and this is strictly MY opinion, is that this is what is wrong with the country: young people not caring about education.
fungi2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:44 AM   #29 (permalink)
Hail to the Victors!

TK, nice post. However, I don't think you will get the firestorm you predicted...
Old 12-14-2007, 11:48 AM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

i just re-read this entire thread... and re: gpa's and the real world...(at least in my world), integrity is everything. you could have all the experience, all the accolades, highest gpa, etc etc to be a superstar in whatever industry you are in - but if you have no integrity, you have absolutely NOTHING.

having a low gpa out of college isnt' the end of the world... experience and your reputation will eventually get you there... but the one thing you do not want is for someone to question your integrity.
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:09 PM   #31 (permalink)

TK5 your accounting and GPA is totally different from all other majors. If you go to a doctor or a lawyer, do you know if they had a 3.0 or a 4.0? You don't know. Accountants are special I guess cause they have to take tests to pass the final test to be a CPA I think? And the employers will look at that test and want the 4.0, not the 2.0.
jacobbigshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:15 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
i just re-read this entire thread... and re: gpa's and the real world...(at least in my world), integrity is everything. you could have all the experience, all the accolades, highest gpa, etc etc to be a superstar in whatever industry you are in - but if you have no integrity, you have absolutely NOTHING.

having a low gpa out of college isnt' the end of the world... experience and your reputation will eventually get you there... but the one thing you do not want is for someone to question your integrity.
Without a doubt, I do agree with you Captain. But low GPAs (depending on major/field/career) put you behind the 8-ball to a small or large extent, period.

But, yes, I've seen 4.0s fail miserably. Actually, when I worked at Deloitte & Touche, when we had 2 similar candidates, I almost always preferred the 3.5 to 3.7 over the 3.95 or above. This normally proved out with the 3.5 being a more rounded and solid employee (they normally ended up on my team!). An accountant with a 4.0 very often meant no personality or social skills!!!

And I've seen people with bad GPAs become successful.

BUT - low GPAs can, but not always, indicate other weaknesses - lack of priorities, severe lack of work ethic, the obvious lack of intelligence of any kind...and even bad choice of major/minor/career.

I do agree that integrity is ABSOLUTELY HUGE in the long term - but is normally not measured in any way before or during college. I've seen some of the most amazing and gifted people fail because of lack of integrity, and it's nothing more than a waste of abillity. A recent, but not current, president comes to mind (although I don't know if the ability or talent was EVER there!!).
Old 12-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobbigshow View Post
TK5 your accounting and GPA is totally different from all other majors. If you go to a doctor or a lawyer, do you know if they had a 3.0 or a 4.0? You don't know. Accountants are special I guess cause they have to take tests to pass the final test to be a CPA I think? And the employers will look at that test and want the 4.0, not the 2.0.
The CPA is totally unrelated to college and is taken afterwards.

GPAs don't guarantee success down the road - but I'm sure a doctor who graduated with a 2.2 in biology/chemistry/etc. had a much tougher time getting accepted to their residency than one with a 3.5.

And a graduating student in lawr with a 2.3 probably had a tougher time getting accepted to the prestigious law firm than the one with a 3.8.

10 years down the road - all bets are off. However, as I mentioned earlier - commitment, abilities, work ethics, etc. don't often get turned on and off after graduation...
Old 12-14-2007, 12:33 PM   #34 (permalink)

Ok this has been a fun thread and I will post my grades when I get them (my school is stupid and won't get my grades till next year unless I ask the teachers).
jacobbigshow is offline   Reply With Quote