Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2007, 02:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default i hate finals and data structures

8am tomorrow is going to blow... but at least it will be over after that... i've got 3 hrs of sleep in the last 2+ days, and i'm trying to cram for data structures now... going to be a long night...
andrew13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

I went 50-60 hours straight with no sleep, then slept through and art history final I had to take. Prof told me to bring in donuts and coffee and I could take it. Pretty cool

Good luck with your tests. Think how relaxed you will feel when they are done.

fidrych
shadetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Wow you guys are way too serious. You know how I study for finals......well I don't. I just love costing through life.
jacobbigshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobbigshow View Post
Wow you guys are way too serious. You know how I study for finals......well I don't. I just love costing through life.
That's what I did, nobody cares if you had a C average or an A average. I rarely even bought books for my classes. I went to about half of them(only the ones that required attedence as part of the grade), and got three degree's all with C averages and no one knows, but you guys now. And no one in the job industry cares. I could of lied about even having a degree and got my job because no one even checks.
Good luck gentlemen, I never studied but when I had to write 60-80 page research papers and and research journals, I had a formula. Dump a 16oz Rockstar into a 64ox fountain Mountain Dew, eat lots of King Size Butterfingers and Startbucks Double Shot espresso cans for extra's boost's late.(just watch those they tend to make you puke mixed with too much rockstar).
Old 12-13-2007, 12:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am actually thinking about not taking my finals and taking incompletes. I am lazy and these are my last classes and I got a job lined up for next year (hopefully). I totally agree prduce, if they ask you what your gpa was, just tell them a 3. something even though I am hovering around a 2.25
Old 12-13-2007, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ya tell them you have a 3.0, bc they wont look down on you when they get your transcripts. Coasting through life is wonderful, but a C average is not. I could not imagine hiring anyone who gave C work through college. It is way to easy to ever get a C in any class much less have it for an average. Get off your butt and go take your finals, you slacker.
fungi2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

if you get a C avg you can be president of the u.s.
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobbigshow View Post
I am actually thinking about not taking my finals and taking incompletes. I am lazy and these are my last classes and I got a job lined up for next year (hopefully). I totally agree prduce, if they ask you what your gpa was, just tell them a 3. something even though I am hovering around a 2.25
I'd of been fired for your above statement. Prior to being officially hired, I had to not only submit my transcripts, but my diploma. IF anything ever came back as falsified, I could be terminated on the spot. In today's economy, I wouldn't chance it. To be hoest, college while fun, sucks, but in the big plan, its a small time to pay for the rewards you'll reap later.

2ndly....your already paying for the class, why not take the tests and get the grade so you don't have to take it (or another) over and repay for it?
iluvfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hail to the Victors!

I personally took pride in my GPA througout high school and college. If you are willing to settle for average than I guess that is your personal choice. I have always felt that you get out what you put into something...
Old 12-13-2007, 01:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

All I was trying to say was that how you do in college is not as important to most employers as that you have a diploma. I had a C average, because I was busy running my own business and working 60 hours a week. If I had came from money and could just go to school and work part time somewhere fun then I would expect earn A's and really give it my all. I have the same job as the class Valedictorian in the office next to me and while I was ranked at the bottom,I do a better job than her and really understand what work ethic is. I just wanted them to know that it is not the end of the world in most fields to be the best of you class, but to get it done.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Boo

Most of the time all you need is the degree. 99% of companies do things differently and it just takes experience.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

i've learned that all the degree does is effectively get you the interview... its your experience and how you sell yourself that will get you the job.

also in certain fields a degree well help you get into upper management... but other than that, i know a lot of people who are just as capable, if not more, than those without a degree.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
also in certain fields a degree well help you get into upper management... but other than that, i know a lot of people who are just as capable, if not more, than those without a degree.
Exactly. The only thing my MBA got me was a decent raise and the title of "executive".
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
if you get a C avg you can be president of the u.s.
no you are wrong, Bush got a few Ds.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

Talk about skating through life, GWB probably didn't even go to class. Everything he has was bought by either his family or other peoples money. Hell, he even got his first term in office by paying off somebody in Florida. Should go down as the worst President these United States ever had and that includes Nixon and the friggin cross dresser who's name escapes me right now.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

I am sure that most people still did what you did through college. I did not work 60 hr, but close to 40 or 50 all the way through college and still left with a 3.85. I am now teaching and getting my master's and have a 4.0. It is just about not being lazy in terms of education. Yes the degree is the thing, but as a young person, having a 2.0 or a 3.5 will be the difference between getting hired and not. It shows a lack of concern and ability. If you are not from anything, it will be even harder to get what you want.
fungi2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

I would never say that education was not important, nor encourage someone to purposefully be lazy. While I was in college and caring less about my classes, I was reading non-fiction in the area's of global economics’, world history, American history, and philosophy. I just thought those area's were more important to my education at the time. I could care less what my average was at the time because I was building a business and a savings account, it just seemed more important at the time. I got a 4.0 through my masters.
I just wish I played better golf, we all know getting in with the right guys on the greens is what really gets you the job and/or a raise.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

All nice commentes but remeber tests are biased. Just beacause you get 100 on a test doesn't mean you are smart than somebody who even got a 70 on the test. It just means you were able to answer those questions that the teacher thought were important to question you on. I was never high on tests, I hate them, I am a much better bs writer and get through all of my classes by being a good writer even though I am a math major.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

i have always felt that street smarts was much more valuable than book smarts. i would rather be street smart than book smart. book smarts can only get you so far...but the street smarts will keep you relevant and will help you survive in the professional world.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

speaking of street smarts..anyone remember the tv game show? Some of those people were so dumb I hope it was intentional.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:25 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
i have always felt that street smarts was much more valuable than book smarts. i would rather be street smart than book smart. book smarts can only get you so far...but the street smarts will keep you relevant and will help you survive in the professional world.
exactly what I am saying
Old 12-13-2007, 06:26 PM   #22 (permalink)

I think the only really smart thing I could have done was stay out of this thread in the first place. Everyone has thier own opinion about the benifits or bias of college. I just wanted to give the guys my recipe on the prior page.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:28 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerve View Post
speaking of street smarts..anyone remember the tv game show? Some of those people were so dumb I hope it was intentional.
one of the greatest shows ever.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:32 PM   #24 (permalink)

I have to admit that it was pretty funny.........I think his name was Frank Nicotero....he would do just about anything for a laugh!!!!!
Old 12-13-2007, 11:26 PM   #25 (permalink)

i'm doing terrible this semester. i can't pass calculus if my life depended on it, DS i got a D in i think, Assembly Language i got a B in, and VB i unoffically dropped halfway through... i just took a f, since i needed 12 credits attempted for financial aid.

next semester should hopefully be better... i have adv java, machine architecture, time complexities (c++), c++ 244 (retake to boost the gpa), and a joke class called internet programing. java should be a pain, but other than that i think i can do well.

bam^2, aren't you in the computer industry? i think i remember on the old board you talking about interviewing at google... i remember someone talking about it, just not 100% sure who.

i'm working on a 3.0 before i graduate... that's my goal at least... i was at a 2.7 going into this semester. if you're taking harder classes and working a lot, a 3 is not easy to get. i'm trying to pack a 4 yr degree into 3 yrs, so my schedual is packed and kind of crazy. plus, clarion doesn't give out 3.5, 2.5, ect... which sucks bad and hurts the gpa.
andrew13 is offline   Reply With Quote