Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is Lance Armstrong's legacy about to meet it's bitter end?

Lance Armstrong's attempt to sue the Anti Doping Agency to keep them from stripping him of his seven titiles was summarily dismissed today. Sounds like all of the rumors I heard from avid Cyclists about Armstrong's Blood Doping may be true.

What do yall think?
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1964, 1967-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

As a competitive cyclist I'm tired hearing about this..

Was he doping? Probably.. But everyone else was also.

I know I couldn't win the TdF 7 times in a row if I started to dope.. He had to work his ass off.

My Bucket
http://s788.photobucket.com/albums/yy166/Weiss19/Personal%20Collection/LeSean%20McCoy%20PC/
Weiss19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

lance armstrong is like the hilton's.

old news.
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
ND3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
lance armstrong is like the hilton's.

old news.
But you would still hit the Hiltons.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

As a cancer survivor, I sm sick of hearing about this, too. I find him inspirational. His live strong charity does a lot for cancer patients.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

They need to strip him of his titles if he is found to be guilty. Or better yet re instate all other atheletes that were found guilty of using performance enhancing drugs and make it legal for everyone to use them. One or the other. But dont let Lance get a pass while persecuting all others.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Cbo would hit the Motel Sixes if they had a deep enough voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND3 View Post
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1964, 1967-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND3 View Post
very true. but much like lance armstrong, it would only take one nut and IM OUT!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiss19 View Post
Was he doping? Probably.. But everyone else was also.

I know I couldn't win the TdF 7 times in a row if I started to dope.. He had to work his ass off.
This is how I feel. Not saying if he did dope that it's okay, but it's not like everyone else in cycling has been clean. I also agree 100% that doping doesn't guarantee anything, he still had to accomplish what he did.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well every test he took when racing never came back positive despite foreign officials going after him like crazy. I believe that the other racers that claim that he was doping are all ones that have themselves gotten in trouble so they have no leg to stand on to me. I'd have to find the story again but from what I've heard the evidence they are using against him had already been looked at by another group and they didn't find him guilty of anything.
My PC: https://picasaweb.google.com/104882385261896057224
BullsFan747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
Lance Armstrong's attempt to sue the Anti Doping Agency to keep them from stripping him of his seven titiles was summarily dismissed today. Sounds like all of the rumors I heard from avid Cyclists about Armstrong's Blood Doping may be true.

What do yall think?
This isn't fully true. They dismissed what he filed and asked him to submit a shorter complaint instead of the 80 page one that was filed.

https://twitter.com/SportsLawGuy/sta...47896971313152

Court dismisses Lance Armstrong's complaint against USADA on procedural grounds, asks Armstrong to refile shorter complaint.

If he seriously has never tested positive I don't know how you can convict him of anything and should be considered a waste of money to go after him otherwise. Just like what happened with Roger Clemens. It becomes a "he said" load of sh*t that doesn't matter in the end.

Edit: From this article, looks like the suit was more about turning public opinion against the doping agency: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/10/sp...g-charges.html

Sam Sparks, of United States District Court, chastised Armstrong’s lawyers for submitting a lengthy complaint filled with allegations that “were totally irrelevant to Armstrong’s claims.”

I still maintain that if he's never failed any sort of test, I don't know how they can bring a case against him. I wouldn't trust any of those guys, especially Floyd Landis.

Last edited by 7290morint; 07-10-2012 at 12:01 AM.
7290morint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

there are and will be cheaters in every sport forever. however drugs by themselves will not make you a winner.
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

I honestly believe it's just another jelous or what ever you call it group of people or people in general. He has been tested hundreds of times over the years. He never failed one and as far as I know never had one thrown out on a technicality either.

It's gotten to the point now a days that any professional athlete is guilty of steroids/doping the second anyone says they did it. It's so pathetic and I feel bad for the ones that are honest and never used steroids or anything and just plain work hard and get attacked for no reason. It's just pathetic.
matt6822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt6822 View Post
I honestly believe it's just another jelous or what ever you call it group of people or people in general. He has been tested hundreds of times over the years. He never failed one and as far as I know never had one thrown out on a technicality either.

It's gotten to the point now a days that any professional athlete is guilty of steroids/doping the second anyone says they did it. It's so pathetic and I feel bad for the ones that are honest and never used steroids or anything and just plain work hard and get attacked for no reason. It's just pathetic.

passing a test means nothing .
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mma138 View Post
passing a test means nothing .
I am quite sure he has passed much more than A test, he has likely been tested more than any human in history.

Buying Brandon Hughes (OSU/Chargers) Auto's and low numbered cards.
cardsrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #16 (permalink)

Sometimes you feel like a nut,sometimes you dont
Old 07-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsrus1 View Post
I am quite sure he has passed much more than A test, he has likely been tested more than any human in history.
It helps when you have a transfusion before a test to clear everything out. His own teammates are coming out to tell their stories

I think many turned a blind eye to his feel good story and gave him a pass. Then he turned into a prick and noe everyone is coming clean
Old 07-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
It helps when you have a transfusion before a test to clear everything out. His own teammates are coming out to tell their stories

I think many turned a blind eye to his feel good story and gave him a pass. Then he turned into a prick and noe everyone is coming clean
I have had 6 transfusions. It doesn't clear anything out. It is to help supplement for blood loss or if your body is not producing enough blood due to an illness. He would have to completely bleed out for that theory to work. I don't see that being possible.

If he was having transfusions it was probably for this reason:

"Blood transfusions [2.a] have long been used to enhance athletic performance. Transfusions are an extremely straightforward, simple, and effective method of increasing the blood's oxygen carrying capacity. The term 'blood doping' refers to various techniques used to increase the oxygen carrying capacity of blood."

Last edited by JosieD; 07-10-2012 at 08:41 AM.
JosieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7290morint View Post
This isn't fully true. They dismissed what he filed and asked him to submit a shorter complaint instead of the 80 page one that was filed.

https://twitter.com/SportsLawGuy/sta...47896971313152

Court dismisses Lance Armstrong's complaint against USADA on procedural grounds, asks Armstrong to refile shorter complaint.

If he seriously has never tested positive I don't know how you can convict him of anything and should be considered a waste of money to go after him otherwise. Just like what happened with Roger Clemens. It becomes a "he said" load of sh*t that doesn't matter in the end.

Edit: From this article, looks like the suit was more about turning public opinion against the doping agency: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/10/sp...g-charges.html

Sam Sparks, of United States District Court, chastised Armstrong’s lawyers for submitting a lengthy complaint filled with allegations that “were totally irrelevant to Armstrong’s claims.”

I still maintain that if he's never failed any sort of test, I don't know how they can bring a case against him. I wouldn't trust any of those guys, especially Floyd Landis.
The problem is that the USADA process is not similar to a court case. If this went to court then it would be a different story. Also, the mere appearance that the USADA has agreed to reduced penalties against those who testify against Armstrong makes one question the motives of the agency...why not be more concerned with those still competing rather than the guy who has retired...
mainerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieDively View Post
I have had 6 transfusions. It doesn't clear anything out. It is to help supplement for blood loss or if your body is not producing enough blood due to an illness. He would have to completely bleed out for that theory to work. I don't see that being possible.

If he was having transfusions it was probably for this reason:

"Blood transfusions [2.a] have long been used to enhance athletic performance. Transfusions are an extremely straightforward, simple, and effective method of increasing the blood's oxygen carrying capacity. The term 'blood doping' refers to various techniques used to increase the oxygen carrying capacity of blood."
I personally dont care for the individual. He is pretty self conceited in my opinion. Do I think he won those races fairly? No. There are numerious witnesses that have logged testimony that tell a story other than a fair race runner. I just think that whether he had cancer or not, this should not dilute the minds of fair play. Everyone must be treated equally. I feel like he is getting a pass all because he was a feel good story.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:

I am sure he has had over 500 transfusions in his life!

Buying Brandon Hughes (OSU/Chargers) Auto's and low numbered cards.
cardsrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainerunr View Post
The problem is that the USADA process is not similar to a court case. If this went to court then it would be a different story. Also, the mere appearance that the USADA has agreed to reduced penalties against those who testify against Armstrong makes one question the motives of the agency...why not be more concerned with those still competing rather than the guy who has retired...
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. They are building their case around what are most likely a bunch of disgruntled cheaters themselves.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7290morint View Post
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. They are building their case around what are most likely a bunch of disgruntled cheaters themselves.
But isnt this how most of them get outted? Look at baseball. It took 1 to fall and from there it was a domino affect as players come clean and blurp out everyone else they know that are cheating.

This is a prime example of how 1 got caught and he fessed up everyone that also does it. I think this process is good. Just goes to show you how certain individuals get away with it while others are made out to be scapegoats!!
Old 07-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mma138 View Post
there are and will be cheaters in every sport forever. however drugs by themselves will not make you a winner.
truth. there is still some level of skill involved.

barry bonds still had to have some level of skill to hit the ball.

boxers still have to be able to land punches AND avoid getting knocked out.

cyclists.. not sure what their skill would be but im sure they still need it even if they are doped up.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
I personally dont care for the individual. He is pretty self conceited in my opinion. Do I think he won those races fairly? No. There are numerious witnesses that have logged testimony that tell a story other than a fair race runner. I just think that whether he had cancer or not, this should not dilute the minds of fair play. Everyone must be treated equally. I feel like he is getting a pass all because he was a feel good story.
Rightfully so if you ask me. The man is a walking miracle who has achieved super hero things. Drugs or not, he has my respect. JMO though.

Currently hoarding mountains of cards that I should be trading.
lemur01 is offline   Reply With Quote