Blowout Cards Forums
Halloween

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Good iPhone apps to help with running?

I recently start running, and looking for a good app for my iPhone that will keep track of the length I've run, how long and such. And will keep the workout times stored all together so if I want to view my totals I can.
Just looking for suggestions on the best app to use for my phone for this..?

Also selling drawings, send me a pm for any questions
Braveskid1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Call me crazy, but Numbers (Excel) for the iPhone/iPad should do the trick.....
Old 07-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

I use Endomondo, it works great and can use your phone as a gps to map out your runs.
bjtheman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

you should try Running, Running Maps and Running Routes, Runners Community | MapMyRUN allows you to map your route using google maps & you can send to & from your iPhone.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmaster View Post
Call me crazy, but Numbers (Excel) for the iPhone/iPad should do the trick.....
numbers? I just want something that will calculate how far my run is everytime. I have no idea how far I run, use different locations every time. Or are you saying just to enter in the info myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtheman1 View Post
I use Endomondo, it works great and can use your phone as a gps to map out your runs.
I am downloading the app now, Going to check it out, thanks for the post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7290morint View Post
you should try Running, Running Maps and Running Routes, Runners Community | MapMyRUN allows you to map your route using google maps & you can send to & from your iPhone.
Thanks will also check that out!

Old 07-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you've got some extra cash...GET A GARMIN GPS WATCH!

I've got the Garmin Forerunner 910XT, which is a little pricier than its standard GPS watches because it can track indoor/outdoor swimming as well. It is, however, the latest and greatest offering from them, and since I got it in February, I can't imagine training without it.

The true brilliance of these watches, however, is how they can be coupled with Garmin Connect, an online tool that you can upload all your workouts to and analyze them. Take for example the following "workout", which was actually a half marathon race I ran in Brooklyn last month: Brooklyn Half Marathon by jtroynousky at Garmin Connect - Details

So you have your absolute basics, obviously: total distance covered and total elapsed time. The Forerunner will also log all of your mile splits and alert you at each mile during your run (you can configure this for a different distance if you'd like). I wear a footpod that monitors cadence -- you can see a graph of this on the right-hand side. If you're doing hills or if you like hiking, the altimeter will show changes in altitude, as well.

You've also got the map at the top that shows the route you've run in its entirety. The watch pings the satellite every few seconds, so you end up with a highly accurate rendering of the exact path you took. I also usually wear a heart monitor during training (I didn't wear it during this race), so you can also see a graph of your heart's BPM a la those for altitude, pace and cadence.

Garmin Connect also has a calendar feature which tracks your total mileage on a week-by-week basis. I can't share a link with your unfortunately because you have to be logged in to view it.

I can't really speak for Nike+ or any other iPhone apps because I've never used them, but the Garmin Forerunner has met and exceeded all of my expectations. If you really want to get into the nitty-gritty details of all of your workouts, Garmin Connect is an outstanding peripheral. Together, these two have changed the way I train altogether, and in doing so I've become a much better runner with a much healthier lifestyle.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndrew View Post
If you've got some extra cash...GET A GARMIN GPS WATCH!

I've got the Garmin Forerunner 910XT, which is a little pricier than its standard GPS watches because it can track indoor/outdoor swimming as well. It is, however, the latest and greatest offering from them, and since I got it in February, I can't imagine training without it.

The true brilliance of these watches, however, is how they can be coupled with Garmin Connect, an online tool that you can upload all your workouts to and analyze them. Take for example the following "workout", which was actually a half marathon race I ran in Brooklyn last month: Brooklyn Half Marathon by jtroynousky at Garmin Connect - Details

So you have your absolute basics, obviously: total distance covered and total elapsed time. The Forerunner will also log all of your mile splits and alert you at each mile during your run (you can configure this for a different distance if you'd like). I wear a footpod that monitors cadence -- you can see a graph of this on the right-hand side. If you're doing hills or if you like hiking, the altimeter will show changes in altitude, as well.

You've also got the map at the top that shows the route you've run in its entirety. The watch pings the satellite every few seconds, so you end up with a highly accurate rendering of the exact path you took. I also usually wear a heart monitor during training (I didn't wear it during this race), so you can also see a graph of your heart's BPM a la those for altitude, pace and cadence.

Garmin Connect also has a calendar feature which tracks your total mileage on a week-by-week basis. I can't share a link with your unfortunately because you have to be logged in to view it.

I can't really speak for Nike+ or any other iPhone apps because I've never used them, but the Garmin Forerunner has met and exceeded all of my expectations. If you really want to get into the nitty-gritty details of all of your workouts, Garmin Connect is an outstanding peripheral. Together, these two have changed the way I train altogether, and in doing so I've become a much better runner with a much healthier lifestyle.
Thank you for the post, Looks like it would be an awesome thing for me. I will have to check in to these and see if I would be able to afford one since college is soon starting up for me.
Are there different kinds of the garmin watches that would be cheaper?

Old 07-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braveskid1025 View Post
Thank you for the post, Looks like it would be an awesome thing for me. I will have to check in to these and see if I would be able to afford one since college is soon starting up for me.
Are there different kinds of the garmin watches that would be cheaper?
Here's the Garmin Forerunner line: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142

As far as I know, all the Forerunner watches can upload to Garmin Connect and are compatible with footpods and heart rate monitors if you choose to use them. Looks like the Forerunner 110 is the most bare-bones model at $179 and will take care of all of your basic running needs. I went for the 910XT because I'm a swimmer as well and wanted to log that data, as well.

I ended up buying mine from Amazon, so you may want to check there to see if you can get one cheaper.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndrew View Post
Here's the Garmin Forerunner line: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142

As far as I know, all the Forerunner watches can upload to Garmin Connect and are compatible with footpods and heart rate monitors if you choose to use them. Looks like the Forerunner 110 is the most bare-bones model at $179 and will take care of all of your basic running needs. I went for the 910XT because I'm a swimmer as well and wanted to log that data, as well.

I ended up buying mine from Amazon, so you may want to check there to see if you can get one cheaper.
Thank you, appreciate the information! To much for me right now but once I get my new job will be able to get one!

Old 07-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braveskid1025 View Post
Thank you, appreciate the information! To much for me right now but once I get my new job will be able to get one!
Cool, let me know your thoughts if you end up with one! It's a great fit for racers who need pace data for training, etc., but with a heart monitor, you can get very accurate calorie-burning information if you're just trying to stay in shape. Lots of different use cases here -- it's very versatile in that regard
Old 07-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Yeah I am just trying to get back into shape and continue running. So don't need a very expensive one