Blowout Cards Forums
Halloween

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue15 View Post
BTW, I will cancel it if you guys are totally sure that is the best thing to do. I just thought I had grounds to return it if most people think it is fake.
Grounds to return it because you think its fake? Or you think you overpaid?
Teambo1634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:51 PM   #77 (permalink)

It could also have repercussions against your paypal & ebay accounts because of this.
FINS4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #78 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINS4LIFE View Post
It could also have repercussions against your paypal & ebay accounts because of this.
How so? Please explain.
Rogue15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
How so? Please explain.
You called the seller a thief, you said you put in a claim because the card was fake. You said on here you did it because you over paid.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #80 (permalink)

Was just a thought. If you had mentioned it to the seller or ebay/paypal that the claim reason for filing was for what you had posted about paying too much for it. The seller could esculate the situation. I don't know. Was just thinking out loud. Never had a situation like this. All I can say is hope things work out. Let us know if you get it graded. And what the graded is if it's a true piece of jersey. Got to get some work done. Will be off for a little bit.
FINS4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #81 (permalink)

Yes, Rogue should have been totally sure when he was making the purchase, but get off his behind for asking for opinions. The guy is new and he wants ideas as what to do. I think he knows what he should do right now, but being new is no reason just to hate. Every single one of us has wanted an opinion from someone else from time to time. Jumping on him continually for something he was not sure of is just old. If you want to "blacklist" him on your little club, go for it. He will pick himself back up.

Honestly, you just have to deal with the card. I am thinking it is probably real. Send it into Beckett. If it comes back fake, then go from there. It will come out in the end. It is a great looking card. Just make sure you really want to pull the trigger.

One question I have: If he cancels the claim, goes to Beckett, gets it graded, comes back fake, can he re-open the claim? Or did just screw himself by making the claim already?

Check me out on Sport Lots.
http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=mkeil250
fungi2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree, but I thought I would get more help and support than all the bashing. This thread is turning out really well, though, I'm getting lots of HELPFUL comments now, including yours.
When you admit to filing a claim because you overpaid you aren't going to get that many useful comments because that's flat out wrong. If you never had said that it'd be completely different...
petyparamoreAHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:16 PM   #83 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

epic thread from a tool who I would totally expect on doing stuff like this. 5/5 rating thanks for the great read!
wolffer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:16 PM   #84 (permalink)
Hail to the Victors!

I am still miffed by the Beckett grading idea. Beckett grading is for grading the condition of the card, not for authenticating patches. Sure, if the patch was removed and the card was damaged the surface grade of the card would suffer, but that still is not a sure fire way to determine if a patch is fake or not.

The only true way to know that a patch is real is to see the card pulled from a pack.

On a side note, let's avoid name calling.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #85 (permalink)

Is it just me or does his rationale only make sense to me? He is worried that everyone thinks it is fake. I don't think he thinks he overpaid in reality, he is just worried about the perception that has been created by a ton of low life scammers that put fake patches on.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by otmack2o View Post
I am still miffed by the Beckett grading idea. Beckett grading is for grading the condition of the card, not for authenticating patches. Sure, if the patch was removed and the card was damaged the surface grade of the card would suffer, but that still is not a sure fire way to determine if a patch is fake or not.

The only true way to know that a patch is real is to see the card pulled from a pack.

I back up this statement 100% true!

Now Collecting: Ken Griffey Jr. & Kevin Garnett
guru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungi2510 View Post
Is it just me or does his rationale only make sense to me? He is worried that everyone thinks it is fake. I don't think he thinks he overpaid in reality, he is just worried about the perception that has been created by a ton of low life scammers that put fake patches on.
I thought he said in his post that is was worried that he overpaid.

He went on to say that he thought the patch was real, however.

Now Collecting: Ken Griffey Jr. & Kevin Garnett
guru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #88 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Yes, Rogue should have been totally sure when he was making the purchase, but get off his behind for asking for opinions. The guy is new and he wants ideas as what to do. I think he knows what he should do right now, but being new is no reason just to hate. Every single one of us has wanted an opinion from someone else from time to time. Jumping on him continually for something he was not sure of is just old. If you want to "blacklist" him on your little club, go for it. He will pick himself back up.

Honestly, you just have to deal with the card. I am thinking it is probably real. Send it into Beckett. If it comes back fake, then go from there. It will come out in the end. It is a great looking card. Just make sure you really want to pull the trigger.

One question I have: If he cancels the claim, goes to Beckett, gets it graded, comes back fake, can he re-open the claim? Or did just screw himself by making the claim already?
Good points. Thanks for your support and reasonable response.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:

Why should Beckett not be able to tell if it is fake or not? I guess I am not versed in removal of jersey pieces, but shouldn't they be able to have a good guess on it. I am guessing most times there are a few signs that show.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:20 PM   #90 (permalink)

I could be totally wrong on this, but does beckett even verify patch authenticity with a grading? (Never mind, Tony answered my question)

Again I could be wrong, but isn't there also a "Real or Fake" thread created almost daily on this board? I would have posted the ebay link in a new thread, gathered everyone's opinions, and then decided whether or not to bid on it. Now, you're stuck, whether it's fake or not.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:20 PM   #91 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post

The issue is what most other people think. If most think it's fake, isn't that grounds to return it? It was a dumb move on my part to buy it in the first place. But here were are.

Again, if the smartest thing to do here is to cancel the claim, I will cancel it.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post

I think he did say that he overpaid, but in relation to what others see the card as. I see him as saying that if the card is real, then he loves it, but since others think it is not real he could have trouble with resale, if he wants to go there. This thread is an indictment of how crappy some people have made the card industry. He should not have to worry about it being real.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #93 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flobert1205 View Post
I could be totally wrong on this, but does beckett even verify patch authenticity with a grading? (Never mind, Tony answered my question)

Again I could be wrong, but isn't there also a "Real or Fake" thread created almost daily on this board? I would have posted the ebay link in a new thread, gathered everyone's opinions, and then decided whether or not to bid on it. Now, you're stuck, whether it's fake or not.
He did. Not sure what the consensus was.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #94 (permalink)
Hail to the Victors!

Quote:
The issue is what most other people think. If most think it's fake, isn't that grounds to return it? It was a dumb move on my part to buy it in the first place. But here were are.

Again, if the smartest thing to do here is to cancel the claim, I will cancel it.
Other collectors thinking the card may be fake is not grounds to return it. Proof that the card is in fact fake would warrant the return of the card.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Other collectors thinking the card may be fake is not grounds to return it. Proof that the card is in fact fake would warrant the return of the card.
How do you find proof? This is a serious question.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #96 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Yes, I would like to know as well.

By the way, the consensus was mixed. I was talking to the seller personally, and he said that he was a big time White collector, so he had his rare stuff. Then again, he also had a bevy of other sick looking patches. So I'm not sure.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #97 (permalink)
Hail to the Victors!

Quote:
The only real way to prove that a patch is fake (other than seeing it pulled) is to have a before and after image of the card. This really only works on serial numbered cards (matching serial numbers) or auto cards (autos match exactly). Having an efficient way of proving patch authenticity without the support of the card manufacturers (scans of patch cards produced) is going to be very difficult.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #98 (permalink)

do you have a link to that original "Real or Fake" thread?
Old 08-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Add this is how it all started:

Quote:
Oh...my god...I just accidentally won the Roddy White for $125... I don't know if that's good or bad, but it's all mine.

The fact that his other falcon's logo card has the TEAM LOGO text right under it (so donruss certifies it as real) makes me feel better, it just seems highly unlikely he would have two of the exact same Roddy Whites.

Then again, he has a TON of cards for sale, so IDK.

What do you guys think? Should I retract my $125? I already bought a case of Authentic.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #100 (permalink)
Banned

Real or fake?