Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Diet Programs...Total Scam???

Here's my first real rant...

Can't believe it took me this long to figure this out, but it seems like common sense. I'm not exactly what you would call a health freak, by any means. I adore fast food, and am not really fond of fruits and vegetables. Well, I'm not as active as I used to be, and unlike when I was a kid, where I played in sports all the time, the food I eat is no longer burning away. I tried the NutriSystem program a couple years ago (Yes, because of the infomercials with the pro athletes), gave up after a week and was lucky enough to be able to sell the rest of my food on eBay. The thing I found humorous about that is that the guide book that comes with the food, AND the commercial, after further investigation, (in fine print) stated that 50-60% of the actual diet is eating fresh fruits/vegetables outside of the meals they send you.

In the end though, diets are always about portion control, getting rid of bad foods, or whatever, but EVERY diet deprives you of something you love, which only makes you crave those foods more. That's why I think all "diets" are scams. There's no PERFECT way to eat, and without exercise, even a good diet won't do all the work for you.
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

It is fairly easy

intake (calories) - output (calories) = weight gain or weight loss

People want the easy way out - exercise and decent diet get results.
Dobber2330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobber2330 View Post
It is fairly easy

intake (calories) - output (calories) = weight gain or weight loss

People want the easy way out - exercise and decent diet get results.
petyparamoreAHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to DieHardCowboyFan33

The Slim Fast diet is a pretty good and so is the South Beach Diet

Always looking for good deals
Currently in the process of moving, anything bought after 8/17/14 will ship on 8/21/14
If you take more than 24 hours to ship please let me know prior to our deal.
DieHardCowboyFan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Its funny that you bring that up. As a Marine, I could eat anything and still struggle to be 165 pounds, I think I topped out at 191. Now 8 years removed from that and I'm pushing 275 and on a diet and exercising.

I'm losing at a clip of about 3 pounds per week but I expect that to slow down some at some point in the future as I get down to a rational level for my frame.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

I do both, but diet >>> exercise.

You'll find yourself losing a lot more weight when you shave off half of what you eat every meal, then incorporate small snacks in between. (by snacks I mean 150-200 cal snacks).

I'm 5'7, capped at 170 lbs. 3 weeks of watching my food and playing racket sports, i'm down to 162 lbs. It's definitely been the food though.

And, I eat regular stuff. Still eat burgers, pizza, mexican food, etc etc. I just limit my portions

Low-End Kobe and Kevin Durant autos.
Topps Signature Autographs that I don't have (CP3, Dennis Rodman, Ray Allen, Eric Gordon, Russel Westbrook)
deuxmachinax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxmachinax View Post

You'll find yourself losing a lot more weight when you shave off half of what you eat every meal, then incorporate small snacks in between. (by snacks I mean 150-200 cal snacks).

I'm 5'7, capped at 170 lbs. 3 weeks of watching my food and playing racket sports, i'm down to 162 lbs. It's definitely been the food though.

And, I eat regular stuff. Still eat burgers, pizza, mexican food, etc etc. I just limit my portions

I come in at 5'11 3/4"

It helped that I was miserably ill and had no appetite for two months. Watch what you drink fellas. Hi-octane coffee with sugar and cream (Starbucks & DD), soda, beer, all has a ton of empty calories and unlike food it takes a lot more of it to make you feel full.

...and in the case of beer, the more of it you drink, the less of anything you feel.

I did a check, dropping Starbucks for unsweetened ice tea and one less Heineken (yes, beer snob) a night = 550 calories. That's a friggin pound a week right there.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxmachinax View Post

This is what I've heard, and it makes sense. By eating every couple hours you're never depriving yourself, but as long as those "snacks" are healthy like you said, they cannot hurt. Either way though, a diet is more mental than the matter of getting on a program. If any one of them was 100% effective everyone would be on it.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
This is what I've heard, and it makes sense. By eating every couple hours you're never depriving yourself, but as long as those "snacks" are healthy like you said, they cannot hurt. Either way though, a diet is more mental than the matter of getting on a program. If any one of them was 100% effective everyone would be on it.
I've done the couple of beers every couple of hours snack diet, promise you that doesn't work.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
I've done the couple of beers every couple of hours snack diet, promise you that doesn't work.
I don't drink, but I've tried a similar diet with soda...pretty sure that works against any diet.