Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default One card you can't part with??

Just a little fun and theoretical situation.......If for some financial reason you had to sell your entire collection, but got to keep one card what would it be??? and why?? My daughter asked me this question the other evening and it was a really tough one to answer....My answer was:

My 1991 Topps Chipper Jones......I remember cracking open so many packs to get one back when I was 12...I used all of my money from my paper route to buy packs so I could have one. It is the first baseball card I had to have. It really has minimal value but it's the memories that go along with that card....Priceless!!!

Feel free to post pics of your card...Mine isn't a rare card so I'm not really worried about a pic, but if you want one I will post it.
thebear29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mine would have to be my Tiger Woods Sp Authentic RC Auto. I think he will go down as one of the Greatest (if not the greatest) athletes to ever play their sport. Would like to give the card to my boy when he gets older.
Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Cornerstore

I have a few items I can't take away
1) is a baseball I got from a 1996 spring training game. I was 1st row behind the dugout and its was the Marlins vs Dodgers. I was lets see, 5 at the time and was non-stop being a loud kid because it was 105 degrees and I couldn't shut up. Mondesi came up to bat in the second inning hit a faul tip, grabbed the ball before the catcher, walked towards me and handed the ball towards me. I was stunned (middle of his at bat) and I said "for me?" and he nodded and handed me the ball, my first and only faul ball to this day. He then smacked a double. At the end of the game got about 8 dodgers to sign it but he had to leave because he had a hamstring issue. At the end of the game he did show up outside to give about 10 autos but about 100 people were lined up before me so I was never able to get it signed by him. (sad)

As far as cards go there are four I can't let go. First are the the 1996 pinnacle and score Cal Ripken Jr 2131 tribute cards. I went to the local cvs shop and picked out one of each pack, and got both tribute cards (1:2131), keep in mind my age, was AWESOME!

I also was given a collection by a good friend of mine who was my aep teacher (kids who took high school classes in 7th/8th grade) which had a complete 1986 topps football set featuring the steve young and jerry rice rcs. I don't think I could sell something given to me from one collector to another, I hope to pass that on someday as well.

http://yankeesgofor28.blogspot.com/
Cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mine would probably be a Roger Kieschnick game worn flag patch. While he isn't a well known Giants prospect, the uniqueness of the card would make me very hesitant in selling it if i needed the funds.

JohnfromtheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnfromtheBay View Post
Mine would probably be a Roger Kieschnick game worn flag patch. While he isn't a well known Giants prospect, the uniqueness of the card would make me very hesitant in selling it if i needed the funds.

That is a nice looking card......
thebear29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think I have 1 Bills Flutie auto that I can never sell.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

1) My Ichiro 2001 All-Star autographed ball...With all the stuff that happened in 2001 (Ichrio MVP and ROY, Seattle wins 116, and the AS Game being placed in Seattle)

2) '89 Upper Deck Griffey RC...Growing a huge M's fans, and still being one, I can't see myself parting with this card.

I have always said that if I ever ended up on the street. It would be my cardboard box over my head with that ball and card sitting next to me. LOL
Old 08-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

All my Vintage Mantle and Clemente cards and my

2005/06 SP Game Used Sidney Crosby Auto RC #/5.

Also my 2001 Topps Reserve Albert Pujols Auto Rookie Ball.
Never Forget 9/11, Be Diligent and Safe!
Vintage Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't have a card that I wouldn't sell, but my Signed Memorabilia is a different story. To me the cards come and go, but the Memorabilia is a great centerpiece or conversation piece.

Check me out on the Bay & COMC for special BO member deals!!!
Great Dealz Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thats EASY for me but its 2 cards :

A Walter Payton RC that I paid .25 for as a kid in 1976 and a Bronko Nagurski 1/1 cut auto that I got a few months ago. Both have very special meaning and will hopefully be buried with me if the wife remembers before they close the lid.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Dude the funeral guy will pick that Nagurski right out of your box!
Never Forget 9/11, Be Diligent and Safe!
Vintage Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Has to be this one for me

Old 08-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

1954 Willie Mays & 1958 Roger Maris
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Deron Williams authentic patch from Topps Letterman.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

Any one of my 1862 different Bo Jackson cards
Teambo1634 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:33 PM   #16 (permalink)

My first Kobe Auto (SOTT) from 2002!

Low-End Kobe and Kevin Durant autos.
Topps Signature Autographs that I don't have (CP3, Dennis Rodman, Ray Allen, Eric Gordon, Russel Westbrook)
deuxmachinax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

My prize piece is not on a card either. I had the pleasure of meeting Ted Williams, I think in 1997, at a card show in Chantilly, VA. It was one of his last shows he did and there was only 100 tickets available and would only signed flat pictures. I was in my full Boston Red Sox garb and we talked for a few minutes. I've met a lot of athletes and to this day he's the only one that sent chills up my spine and made me feel like a 10 year old on Christmas morning. He autographed a picture for me on that day, and it still puts a smile on my face when I think about it.
Munsonmanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Mine is not a card either but a 1997 All Star baseball. I'll give a brief history behind it. I was 16 in 97 and my father had season ticket to the Cleveland Indians and I got to attend the All-Star Game and the World Series that year. It also happened to be a career year for Sandy Alomar Jr. and he hit the game winning home run in the All-Star game and also hit a dramatic home run vs Mariano Rivera in the playoffs as well. I was present for both events and those are memories I will never forget.

For many years I was trying to get that ball signed by anybody who was on the all-star team from 97 and the closest I got was Ken Griffey Jr in his Mariner days was signing for people in the walk way before a game. He signed for a long time and I finally got near the front of the line and he stopped and went into the dugout.

A few years later in 2004 I had finished college and umpired baseball games. I wanted to take my base umpire to a game for a thank you for helping me with the bases all year and asked him if he wanted to go to an Indians/White Sox game and get there early for autographs. I had a bunch of cards and told him any of the cards he got signed he could keep but I was really hoping we would see Sandy Alomar and I brought the 97 all-star ball just in case. Well, a few of the guys took off running towards a back enterance and there was Sandy Alomar Jr. walking into the park and he stopped to sign for 5 of us. He signed the ball right on the sweet spot and while he had it I asked if he would add MVP to the autograph. I got the ball back and he inscirbed MVP 97 All Star . I was in shock he added that much and was literally shaking as it brought back so many memories from my childhood. Of course my base umpire was making fun of me and how much in shock I was but he or nobody else could understand what that meant to me. That game also happened to be the day Grady Sizemore got called up to the Majors and I was the first person to send congrats to him as nobody else there knew who it was. He then signed a mini helmet for me. Both of those items are on display at my place and will be as long as I am alive and kicking. Hopefully someday I can tell the story of the 97 season to my kids (if I ever have them) and pass the ball onto them.
wolffer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:55 PM   #19 (permalink)

i've been buying and selling collections almost all of my adult life, but the one card i have always kept is my 1985 Sam Mills USFL Rookie. i had the honor of playing high school and college football with Sam not only was he a great football player but he was a helluva guy off the field also, RIP Sam
ronlabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:07 PM   #20 (permalink)

All Bird & Pierce cards!
pac213up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #21 (permalink)

Well, i probably wouldn't sell any of my IP baseball autos, because i love the memories of getting each one signed, but the one card i would NEVER sell is this(pulled by me in one of 2 packs):

Gotta love the smell of Rougned Odor in the morning
cp312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #22 (permalink)

As much as it would kill me to part with my Jordan collection I would keep my 1969 Wilt Chamberlain. I got it in a trade when I was like 13. I gave up a "Neon" Deon Sanders Action Packed card. It was the best trade for me and a super sweet card I will never get rid of.
CLHeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #23 (permalink)

I would have to keep the following card because I like it too much. Plus Tiger is the man! I'm hoping it will be worth a small fortune one day. I've got 2 of them but the following is my favorite.
2001 SPA Preview Red Tiger Woods #21 rookie card - #9/50 and graded 9.5
Tonic3 is offline   Reply With Quote