Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #26 (permalink)

Eh...nevermind.

Last edited by Deeks; 08-21-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Deeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #27 (permalink)

Sorry but this is pathetic. Many threads by the OP are along these same lines. People offered solid advice and many words of encouragement. Instead of thinking about how sweet your room would look with a race car bed, you should think about how sweet it would be to have a room of your own in YOUR own place.

Get the nip out your mouth and grow up. Selling Penguin cards is not going to pay the bills in the real world. Get a nice career with the degree you have and then start your side business. Selling the cards you sell will not pay the bills.

Sorry if that was harsh, but that seems to be the only way some things click for people.
csmtampa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmtampa View Post
Sorry but this is pathetic. Many threads by the OP are along these same lines. People offered solid advice and many words of encouragement. Instead of thinking about how sweet your room would look with a race car bed, you should think about how sweet it would be to have a room of your own in YOUR own place.

Get the nip out your mouth and grow up. Selling Penguin cards is not going to pay the bills in the real world. Get a nice career with the degree you have and then start your side business. Selling the cards you sell will not pay the bills.

Sorry if that was harsh, but that seems to be the only way some things click for people.
But tell us how you really feel...

I agree that obviously the way Ben is doing things to date isn't really getting it done - you're not going to have a major business if you're selling ungraded 1986 Topps Tony Gwynns and Club Penguin cards, definitely true. But it seems like every time Ben posts, there are a few people who kind of answer his questions while everyone else rails on him for being 30 and not using his degree. I mean this thread alone has basically turned into people going back and forth telling him to scrap his current life plan and move back into accounting. Which is fine if that's your advice and what you would do in that situation, but it doesn't have to come with so much snark.

My thing is, obviously Ben has written this stuff time and time again, and since every one of these threads devolves into "gtfo your parents' house and work" I'm pretty sure he has heard that piece of advice and chooses not to go that route. So why not offer advice that can help him out within his current situation? Like at least getting a better PT job than McDonald's (or even to get a FT job because you can work 40 hours and still sell cards PT) to get more income than he has now and to get him bettering himself. Or like Ooosh did recommending different filing systems - personally I'd recommend Bento but it's Mac only and has a buy-in which might not work for him. Or even spell out for him why his card idea is so far fetched - maybe he needs to do shows and he's not, maybe he needs to advertise with a blog or website, I don't know, I don't do cards. But maybe if people gave him semi-helpful advice instead of calling him a loser he'd stop making these threads and start making awesome decisions like he seems to want to do.

I don't know, just my two cents.

http://www.comc.com/Users/SpastikMooss
SpastikMooss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Many questions can be answered by viewing his YouTube videos.
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpastikMooss View Post
But tell us how you really feel...

I agree that obviously the way Ben is doing things to date isn't really getting it done - you're not going to have a major business if you're selling ungraded 1986 Topps Tony Gwynns and Club Penguin cards, definitely true. But it seems like every time Ben posts, there are a few people who kind of answer his questions while everyone else rails on him for being 30 and not using his degree. I mean this thread alone has basically turned into people going back and forth telling him to scrap his current life plan and move back into accounting. Which is fine if that's your advice and what you would do in that situation, but it doesn't have to come with so much snark.

My thing is, obviously Ben has written this stuff time and time again, and since every one of these threads devolves into "gtfo your parents' house and work" I'm pretty sure he has heard that piece of advice and chooses not to go that route. So why not offer advice that can help him out within his current situation? Like at least getting a better PT job than McDonald's (or even to get a FT job because you can work 40 hours and still sell cards PT) to get more income than he has now and to get him bettering himself. Or like Ooosh did recommending different filing systems - personally I'd recommend Bento but it's Mac only and has a buy-in which might not work for him. Or even spell out for him why his card idea is so far fetched - maybe he needs to do shows and he's not, maybe he needs to advertise with a blog or website, I don't know, I don't do cards. But maybe if people gave him semi-helpful advice instead of calling him a loser he'd stop making these threads and start making awesome decisions like he seems to want to do.

I don't know, just my two cents.
I actually think it's awesome that people think enough of Ben that they take the time to reply with advice that is meant to help him out, even if it comes out harshly sometimes. We all need that friend or relative who will give us that wake up call when we're on the wrong path and I think that's what people are trying to do here.

My specific advice would be: pick a path and go for it all out. If you want to sell on eBay, learn all you can from Menoknow3 (who is huge in the toy area) or some of the bigger card sellers. Offer free help in exchange for knowledge of their businesses. Figure out if you can make a living at it or if you need another job as a main source of income. Then go from there.

Heck, create a guide to selling based on the information you gather and sell that. So many people want to sell and don't know how to get started--you could make serious bank selling that information you learn from others and your own experience.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madbacker View Post
Many questions can be answered by viewing his YouTube videos.
Yep, this pretty much sums everything up rather well. Reason why I decided to edit my post.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
I actually think it's awesome that people think enough of Ben that they take the time to reply with advice that is meant to help him out, even if it comes out harshly sometimes. We all need that friend or relative who will give us that wake up call when we're on the wrong path and I think that's what people are trying to do here.

My specific advice would be: pick a path and go for it all out. If you want to sell on eBay, learn all you can from Menoknow3 (who is huge in the toy area) or some of the bigger card sellers. Offer free help in exchange for knowledge of their businesses. Figure out if you can make a living at it or if you need another job as a main source of income. Then go from there.

Heck, create a guide to selling based on the information you gather and sell that. So many people want to sell and don't know how to get started--you could make serious bank selling that information you learn from others and your own experience.

I agree that he does need to hear all sides - like I said if someone's advice is "hey man you have a great degree in a field with a lot of jobs, reconsider your stance on an accounting job" then that's fine. It's just when people come at him all malicious like "You're wasting your college degree to play with cards what are you thinking" that I get a bit perturbed. I mean I figure he has to know some people feel that way, but I think these threads are more productive if people help him to solutions, be they in the card realm or other job realm or whatever.

I guess I feel that way about a lot of BO threads though. A lot of name calling and complaining often lacking substance. If you're gonna do that at least make it funny or clever

Old 08-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

I'm not making light of this but.....is there a disability going on here? I just want to know what we're dealing with here.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #34 (permalink)

Edit...more words needed...edit.

Last edited by Deeks; 08-22-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #35 (permalink)
Banned

EDIT due to recent threads

Last edited by Orangejello727; 08-21-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #36 (permalink)

Wasn't going to post, but read plenty of disheartening remarks (some very useful as well) and figured I'd put my .02...

It's a shame this is how society sees things. Certain people are quick to slam people in whatever area, whether they want to be sarcastic or just plain out douches. Whatever the case, It takes a video for some people to see benshobbies and then people have a different perspective of him or start to feel bad for their ignorance.

Why does it take that for people to just be kind. Regardless of any "condition" he may have, is it all the better to take back your hurtful words because of it. To me, you're still the douche in the first place for saying it. I may crack a joke here or there, but will never try to talk down to people when they have honest questions in regards to the hobby or whatever else it may be that's ailing them.

I wish benshobbies all the luck and if you ever need any questions pertaining to the hobby, I may not have all the right answers, but I'll help you the best I can. And this goes for anyone. I myself come to the forums several times with questions, because unlike several other members here, I don't have all the answers.

Anyways, I just wish people in general would learn to be more kind to one another and just quit being so petty about everything. I'm done ranting....like I said, benshobbies...PM me with any questions and I'll try to help. I just recently started my Ebay store and have several hurdles myself to tackle.

So, good to hear I rate military disability....too bad it's 0%....
jlcherry2477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #37 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcherry2477 View Post
Wasn't going to post, but read plenty of disheartening remarks (some very useful as well) and figured I'd put my .02...

It's a shame this is how society sees things. Certain people are quick to slam people in whatever area, whether they want to be sarcastic or just plain out douches. Whatever the case, It takes a video for some people to see benshobbies and then people have a different perspective of him or start to feel bad for their ignorance.

Why does it take that for people to just be kind. Regardless of any "condition" he may have, is it all the better to take back your hurtful words because of it. To me, you're still the douche in the first place for saying it. I may crack a joke here or there, but will never try to talk down to people when they have honest questions in regards to the hobby or whatever else it may be that's ailing them.

I wish benshobbies all the luck and if you ever need any questions pertaining to the hobby, I may not have all the right answers, but I'll help you the best I can. And this goes for anyone. I myself come to the forums several times with questions, because unlike several other members here, I don't have all the answers.

Anyways, I just wish people in general would learn to be more kind to one another and just quit being so petty about everything. I'm done ranting....like I said, benshobbies...PM me with any questions and I'll try to help. I just recently started my Ebay store and have several hurdles myself to tackle.
It just gets old after awhile.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #38 (permalink)

I think many of us have seen his videos a long time before now. I'm not sure what conclusion you all are jumping to, but he has talked about moving out on his own before and he's talked about getting another job before. So, it's not like these are not things he's capable of doing.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madbacker View Post
It just gets old after awhile.
I can understand where you're coming from, I'm just saying in general I see alot of negative feedback towards people looking for advice...<---legitimate advice...not "who's going to be the next best prospect" or "what case do I buy to find Mike Trout" threads. benshobbies post seemed to be more like he was definitely looking for suggestions and some of the suggestions were pretty ignorant.

I look through many threads and never post on them at times, but I know I have never went into someones thread and just blatantly blast them. I guess some people get a satisfaction off others misfortune. But to each their own...I'm not here to ruffle feathers, just felt lead to post and give my opinion. I wish benshobbies the best of luck and like I said, if I can help in any way shoot me a PM.

So, good to hear I rate military disability....too bad it's 0%....
jlcherry2477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcherry2477 View Post
I can understand where you're coming from, I'm just saying in general I see alot of negative feedback towards people looking for advice...<---legitimate advice...not "who's going to be the next best prospect" or "what case do I buy to find Mike Trout" threads. benshobbies post seemed to be more like he was definitely looking for suggestions and some of the suggestions were pretty ignorant.

I look through many threads and never post on them at times, but I know I have never went into someones thread and just blatantly blast them. I guess some people get a satisfaction off others misfortune. But to each their own...I'm not here to ruffle feathers, just felt lead to post and give my opinion. I wish benshobbies the best of luck and like I said, if I can help in any way shoot me a PM.
He asks a lot of the same questions pertaining to grown up life. Everyone will give him legitimate answers and advice whether it's harsh or not. But OP continues to ignore the advice.
MI Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #41 (permalink)

Watching the video has made me change my tune. You are doing just fine for yourself. It takes a lot of courage to put yourself out there on a message board. There will be many people here willing to help with advice.

Good luck Ben!
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1964, 1967-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.

Last edited by 37Jetson; 08-21-2012 at 11:21 PM.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #42 (permalink)

My apologies. Post removed.

Last edited by Ray27Ray52; 08-22-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Ray27Ray52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:41 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
"Suck it up cupcake, this world doesn't give a $hit about your feelings."
Now, at last, I have a title for the kids' book I have been writing - thanks KMD!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
Now, at last, I have a title for the kids' book I have been writing - thanks KMD!
My late father would have been proud. I'm here at the office with a 102 temperature from the flu (get the shot people, it is nasty this year and early) hearing him in the back of my head.

I built this place so I now can leave at 4 or 5 if I choose and take a day off if I choose, but I promised my clients I would be here today and I will be.

As for Ben, I'm not ripping on you living at home, just be aware that it is probable that you will not have this option forever so take advantage while you can.

If you truly want to work for yourself, then go for it. I've worked for others, I've worked for myself, I've been the boss and now I'm a company of one (I really wasn't good at the being an employer bit).

It is an energy sucking life-altering experience but what I don't understand is how you are going to run a business without have worked in a business other than McDonalds (2 years as teenager, no shame in it).

What McDonald's teaches is process. They have it down to a pin. Lather, rinse, repeat. They also teach having aces in position, which is good for managing people (they always stuck me in drive thru because I couldn't shut up and when I was idle I was mischievous, think Beavis and Butthead sort of stuff).

I guess all I'm saying is get your a$$ in gear because you aren't going to be able to live with Mom and Dad forever.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #45 (permalink)
Banned

I am in college, have a part time real job, and rip and flip cards on the side. I actually make more money with cards than with my real job, but it's important to have a real job IMO for several reasons.
rip+flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
It is an energy sucking life-altering experience but what I don't understand is how you are going to run a business without have worked in a business other than McDonalds (2 years as teenager, no shame in it).
This I 100% agree with. Between summer jobs, working two jobs at once, and moving, I've worked an official, tax paying 18 jobs in my lifetime (and I'm only 26). Never been fired either, just moved a lot for school and like I said I often worked two jobs at once or worked jobs for just summer break when I was in undergrad. And I wouldn't have it any other way. Some jobs were obviously better than others (and some paid better than others) but all worked in different ways and taught me different ways to work with people. Variety is the spice of life and all that jazz.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #47 (permalink)

Thank you for your posts and your concerns about me. I have considered all the points and will go as doors open in my life. Right now I've been working on sorting my cards, and as I sort I keep getting new ideas. The creative juices really have been flowing in my life since I've made this decision. Things I've forgotten or neglected in my business that would make a successful business are now making its way through, I'm also more relaxed and less anxious.

I noticed some of you guys also brought up something I have been struggling with. I had a big discussion with this about my Mom today and she was so kind in telling me pretty much what some of you guys told me. I have a tendency of getting stuck in my thoughts, and it brings me on a downward spiral. I need sometimes a big kick-in-the-pants sometimes, and it is posts like this that helps me receive that. That is why I keep going to church, as my pastor & fellow church members can hold me accountable to them.

As for now, I'm going to ask for more hours at McDonalds and wait for doors to open here or there. God has been more than gracious to me, and I keep on growing in my maturity. I am behind, as I have had some mental health issues, so although I'm 30, sometimes I have the mind of a 20 year old. I started growing physically late too, and that has thrown my life off. I even look a lot younger than I really am for my age.

I'm going to change a couple things with my life:

1. I'm going to plan more time for social life. I'm probably going to spend more time with like-minded people & find people around my local area to hang out with. Already been meeting some really cool people and getting back with old friends.
2. Probably going to start exercising more. I really do need to lose a couple extra pounds, so that would help release some of the anxiety.
3. I'm going to rethink my ebay strategy. I take it my high-volume strategy doesn't work right now on ebay, and its costing me almost 75% of my revenue stream. So I don't think it'll work at all. I need to make a low-inventory level/quick return system in which I can keep listing items & flipping my inventory on ebay very quickly. I have some nice fast-moving items right now, but its just not enough.

If an opportunity with a small business in Lee pops up, I may take it. I really want to get a foothold in a local small business to learn how it runs and operates so I can emulate their style possibly in my own small business. The market is tough right now, so McDonalds is good enough for now. I try to learn as much as I can from the Managers, and I have learned a lot of the physical skills. Now I really want to learn the planning skills & the operations Management side of a business.

Feel free to PM me if you want, or follow the links in the original post. I probably won't revisit this thread again. My account will go deactive on September 1st and will reactivate on November 1st with a lot more money to invest/save and a fresher look. I appreciate the kind responses & the rude remarks. Its good to hear the flip side because it helps me to process my thoughts better. After all, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Sometimes I need a "reset" button in life, and you guys gave me just that. The extra push to make me stronger.

Benjamin
Old 08-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #48 (permalink)

Wow Ben...you inspire me...you really do.

Good luck in your near future and "never let the bastards get you down."
BostonNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #49 (permalink)

Dude,

You are fine. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. My guess is you need to attend more church related functions, and cards would possibly be a lesser interest Tail trumps everything

Don't stop working, because that is + income you can never replace. Keep on keepin on brother!
Old 08-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #50 (permalink)

Good for you, Ben--sounds like you've got a good plan to follow. Good luck while you are away