Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need Advice: Thinking about taking 2 months off of ebay/part-time selling.

I know I've received some good advice, wise cracks and rude remarks from you guys, but I've pretty much decided to take 2 months off of ebay selling & most online sales & buying to do a few things:

1: To get my inventory straightened out in my room & to get a killer inventory system going.
2: To get my finances straightened out & a nice buffer set up in my account.
3: Just a simple mental health break, and to enjoy some space without ebay running my life.

I'll still be involved in the hobby, just not as a part-time seller on ebay, which takes up about 75% of my time. I may even deactivate my account on blowout for two months so I won't be tempted to buy.

This will be starting on September 1st and going through October 31st. On November 1st I'm going to upgrade my account and do a massive turbolister upload over the next 14 days.

If anyone wanted to get in touch with me, I will still be using youtube & Twitter to stay on top of the hobby. If anyone wants to friend me on facebook they can. I just don't want to buy anything in the space of that two months to really sort out my room and get an Excel Database & solid business plan/budget worked up.

I see a couple benefits already from this plan:

1. I'll actually be able to enjoy my vacation coming up (Sept. 10-17)
2. It'll make the transition to the new geothermal heating system my parents are putting in much easier. I doubt much work will be getting done that week.
3. I'll feel more at peace knowing where my money is coming in & going out.

I need advice, and just want to use this thread as a sounding board. What do you think should be done in this time? What are some things I should think about/consider that I may not have thought of.

Rude remarks & all advice welcome at this point and time, I want to hear been there, done that stories mostly.
Hockey PC! Zdeno Chara, Tuukka Rask, Dougie Hamilton
benshobbies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Take care.....have fun.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeel View Post
Take care.....have fun.
mmm, cleared off my sorting table & sleeving some cards! I'm actually enjoying it more! Stress level has gone down greatly! I see a lot of benefits for taking a mental health holiday!
Old 08-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Use that time to get a real job that offers you things like insurance benefits. That working for a corporation stuff you talked about before is a load of crap.
mmbtvs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

You seem stronger already.
ManInTheMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbtvs View Post
Use that time to get a real job that offers you things like insurance benefits. That working for a corporation stuff you talked about before is a load of crap.
Agree 100%!

http://s1058.photobucket.com/albums/t403/klay22/
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

I wish you the best of luck!

What do you want to use the excel data base for? If it is for tracking inventory, you may want to look into an access database.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Good luck!! Don't take too much time off though....be sure to take advantage of those free eBay listings!
Old 08-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieDively View Post

What do you want to use the excel data base for? If it is for tracking inventory, you may want to look into an access database.
I'll have to brush up on my Access programming skills. I learned Access in College, but haven't used it in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
Good luck!! Don't take too much time off though....be sure to take advantage of those free eBay listings!
I'm going to be preparing listings all this two months as something to do to fill time. Going to unload a lot of inventory on November 1st and list continually through November & December.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to avjp87

I'm sure I've missed something in the past but what about looking for a job?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieDively View Post

Access is such a headache! But yeah, if it is a true database Ben is looking for, it is an option.

Do you (Ben) know Excel inside and out? There are some amazing things that you can do with it.

Free-wise, also can use Google Docs, where you can access your files from anywhere you have a computer -- but I figure you will be doing most stuff off your home computer.
Ooosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

I feel bad for the kids (I can say this now) coming up. Somewhere along the line someone told them that how they feel really matters.

If you are seriously stressing about selling a few cards on eBay while living in your mom's house and not paying rent, you're going to have a rough time of it in the real world... and it is coming.

Call a temp agency, go for an interview, put on a tie and brush your teeth and get a job... maybe even in evil corporate America. It will do you some good.

Until then I'll leave you with my father's advice: "Suck it up cupcake, this world doesn't give a $hit about your feelings."
frozenntimesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

Man, 3 hours in and the ideas are flying. Already have a neat idea about what I can turn the room into once its organized & the start of a business plan are forming in my head.

I feel like that car tuning show, where this guy is standing there, rubbing his beard, and then all of a sudden the video turns into fast mode and bits & pieces of the car are flying together. A lot of what I've been ignoring makes a ton of sense right now and I feel that I can turn this into a viable business with a little time spent organizing & remodeling. Probably going to do that shortly after the heating system is replaced.

BTW - I'm not in the job market for a new job. I have one, and I feel its where I need to be right now. Once I get into a sound mindframe and have more stable finances I think I can pull this business off.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benshobbies View Post
A lot of what I've been ignoring makes a ton of sense right now and I feel that I can turn this into a viable business with a little time spent organizing & remodeling.
Please do not think that this is going to be easy. I run my own business. There are a lot of 80 hour weeks. As long as you are willing to work, go for it, but if you think this is going to be easy you should talk to Brent about that.
frozenntimesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

I don't know you, so this is a serious question.

How old are you? From the comments in your first post I assume you are in high school.

I encourage you to learn everything you can about everything. I've spent 10 years in jobs I don't like (after earning my undergraduate degree). I decided last year that I needed a change. I'm one year into earning my MBA. Working fulltime and schooling fulltime (along with married life) is overwhelming most of the time, but I know it will be worth it in the end.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benshobbies View Post
BTW - I'm not in the job market for a new job. I have one, and I feel its where I need to be right now. Once I get into a sound mindframe and have more stable finances I think I can pull this business off.
A new job would stable your finances very quickly. It's as if you are just refusing to see the truth.

I was working for one grocery store for $10 an hour. About 3 months ago I got hired on by their competion at $12 an hour doing the exact same job. $2 extra an hour has helped my life out. I'm sure your increase in pay from McDonald's to wherever would be around the same or more.

Last edited by ManInTheMirror; 08-21-2012 at 02:07 PM.
ManInTheMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
A new job would stable your finances very quickly.
I 100% agree with this, and the guy who talked about a temp agency. You're lucky to have free room and board to fund yourself through this, and you'd be surprised how far a little extra income would go. My first job was through a temp agency where I worked for a factory that make parts for Gillette. Totally not something I was trained for but super easy and it paid $12/hr, which was way more than I would've made in fast food/retail/etc. It wasn't my favorite job but that's an extra $4-5 an hour I made - times that over like 200 hours and we're talking an extra $1,000 earned. That's $1,000 you can use on your business which is very solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
I feel bad for the kids (I can say this now) coming up. Somewhere along the line someone told them that how they feel really matters.

Until then I'll leave you with my father's advice: "Suck it up cupcake, this world doesn't give a $hit about your feelings."
I'd disagree in a lot of cases. I do know a few too many people who are "soft" and don't have the work ethic to get themselves through an honest day's work. But there are a ton of businesses that never would've started had people not said "screw this other job I'm having no fun" and gone on their own way doing something else.

Heck, in my own neighborhood, I know plenty of people who are working for themselves and starting up small businesses, and some fail and some succeed but they're all trying to live their dream. And yes they need to work other jobs to finance themselves, but they find jobs they like (i.e. one girl who owns two stores in my neighborhood finances her way with a bartender job and a waitress job, another guy who owns a music store works there and at a friend's vintage shop, etc.). You can make your money and still have fun doing it, not everyone needs to live out the movie Office Space.

That said, as I said above, I definitely think it'd help Ben to pick up a better paying job, especially at more hours. I know he has been at McD's a while but I doubt you truthfully enjoy it (yeah maybe more than the Corporate job, but there's gotta be something else out there that better meets your workplace needs, or that at least pays better while offering similar stuff).

I know when I graduated undergrad I took a year off to make money and worked two jobs 60-70 hours a week. By the time I was done I had a bunch of money in the bank and was able to continue on with my life with some savings to help me out when times were tough.
I also have 13 autos or relics for under $1

Last edited by SpastikMooss; 08-21-2012 at 03:24 PM.
SpastikMooss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #18 (permalink)

If my memory serves me right(& it fails more & more each day) OP is about 30, works at Mickey D's and lives rent free off his parents?

If that's the case, then sorry, but you're beyond hope already & taking a break from playing with cards won't make a difference.

Most of the blame is on you for not wanting to live in big boy world, but some goes on your parents for not kicking you the hell out and making you become an adult
Old 08-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman71 View Post
If my memory serves me right(& it fails more & more each day) OP is about 30, works at Mickey D's and lives rent free off his parents?

If that's the case, then sorry, but you're beyond hope already & taking a break from playing with cards won't make a difference.

Most of the blame is on you for not wanting to live in big boy world, but some goes on your parents for not kicking you the hell out and making you become an adult
I would have worded it a bit differently, but essentially, this.
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman71 View Post

Agreed.
30 years old with an accounting degree but you claim to enjoy your part time job at McDonalds. Wtf? Quit playing cards and stuffed animals in your free time and grow up.
MI Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

A real degree with a background in accounting is a guarenteed job. I dont know one person in finance thats had a hard time finding a job.

No real easy way of making money. Hard path pays off!
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #22 (permalink)

So you've got an actual college degree in one of the easier fields to get a job in and this is the path you chose??

I'm sorry,but this is pathetic. Your parents needed to stop coddling you years ago and forced you to move into your own place and have grownup responsibilities

Sad that my ditsy 21 year old has it figured out already and is moving out in 11 days(damn right I'm counting) while still in college and you're serving value meals and doing nothing with your life at 30 with an important piece of paper in your posession
Old 08-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #23 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
A real degree with a background in accounting is a guarenteed job. I dont know one person in finance thats had a hard time finding a job.

No real easy way of making money. Hard path pays off!
After my last post I learned the poster has an accounting degree. From what I have read/seen the US has a shortage of quality accounting talent. If you are skilled in this field finding a job just be easy and lucrative.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
After my last post I learned the poster has an accounting degree. From what I have read/seen the US has a shortage of quality accounting talent. If you are skilled in this field finding a job just be easy and lucrative.
100% right. I've switched jobs 4 times in the last 3 years and each of them has paid me more & more. I've been out of work with my degree for a total of 3 months since 2004 and that was by choice after we moved to Vegas
Old 08-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #25 (permalink)

I'm not too big into the Bible, but I remember this passage when I need a kick in the rear. Might be good to meditate on this for a bit during your break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Corinthians 13:11
When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me.
I spend too much time and money on cards, but I have fun with it. However, I also bust my butt at work, pay for a mortgage, put away money for retirement, and provide for my family. Be sure you are getting the full adult experience from life.

Not trying to put you down, but you are 10 years from being 40. It's time to get that career or small business started and begin the process of creating your own life.

You seem like a thoughtful and positive guy--I'm sure you can be successful.