Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Default Charity auction very misleading...

Ok so I won a chairty auction to attend an Atlanta Braves home game and go to the 755 Club (I thought to eat for free). The auction was to help out my town's local humane society and at the auction the ticket package was valued at $200. I was excited because I had planned to go the last home game if they won. I get the tickets today from the company who sponsored the package and each of the tickets is $16. It has a 755 Club label on it and I think just to get in was like $15 or so per ticket. I so got misled because i thought we would have descent dugout seats or behind the plate, but instead we are in the outfield :/ To make matters worse, the 755 Club tickets just get us in the door and we still have to buy food. I cannot believe I OVERPAID for these tickets and got misled. I am somewhat upset right now since I had planned an overnight trip due to ATL being several hours away from home. UGH!
mh01460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Inactive Account

2 tickets* sorry
Old 08-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

So have you contacted the appropriate parties to let them know that something fishy is happening? $16+$16 is not even close the $200 the package was valued at, unless admission into the 755 Club is valued at $168.
ilovethelakings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Its not, its like $15-$20 I think to get in. I got an email from the company saying they would refund my amount if its not what I perceived and they forwarded that information to one of the auction directors I told them I did not want a refund, I just wanted to see what the deal was and thanks again.

Everything is fine I suppose. I just done understand the valuation since the food in the club, last time I went about 10 years ago, was about $50-100 per person.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Seems like there has to be some information missing here. Either you just flat misread what you were getting or they flat out misrepresented the package. If they misrepresented the item then a refund is a suitable option even though I would understand the apprehension of getting a refund from a charity. What made you think this package included food or better seats? Was it strictly the value they put on it?
cincycardshows.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Inactive Account

I think the auction started at $20 but it clearly said valued at $200. Tickets to a typical Braves game, even lower level seats are between $36-$50. The 755 Club has food, but when I atre there before it was like $50 a person. Since it was valued at $200 for (2) game tickets and (2) club tickets, I figured the seats had to be descent or get some free food out of it. I didn't know I would get $16 outfield seats.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm glad I'm not in your situation. I would be pissed if they over valued the tickets/package by that much, but at the same time I would have second thoughts about pursuing it since it's for a charity (I don't like confrontation, I'm a Virgo). Ultimately, seems very dishonest by the charity director to do something like that. Hopefully it's a misunderstanding and you're missing something. If not, I hope they make it right with the charity still receiving some benefit. Good luck.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Inactive Account

I am a virgo too (8/31). The company stated the tickets were valued at $200 and now I am waiting to see if the auction lady plans to call me to ask why I questioned the value. I mean granted I paid less than $100 for the package, but its one of those things that had I known they would be $16 outfield seats, I would have possibly not bid and went home to find descent lower level dugout seats. It is what it is. Maybe I can catch Chipper's last home, home-run ball and sell it for a smooth $200k lol.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
XL5

If you got two $16 tickets and Club access and the package is supposed to be valued at $200, I'm guessing someone at the charity pulled a switch or they grossly overstated the value.

I'd ask them for a full accounting of the market value. At least you'll know what's going on. If they give you problems, tell them it's for your taxes.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Inactive Account

I didn't think about the tax write-off for overpaying. I think the donor just valued the item and the auction people had no idea either way.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I can't see what the OP is talking about because he/she is on my ignore list, but I have to ask if he/she ever has a transaction that goes smoothly without some sort of issue?
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Yep, 3 on here and thanks for ignoring me.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

gotta link to the auction ?
55 Orlando Hudson,150 Homer Bailey,191 Edinson Volquez, MHRC536 Mantle HR #536
MetDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Inactive Account

No, it was a silent auction held at a country club.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Incredible story . Thanks for sharing . Breathtaking .
"Nothing in the world seems more important"
thebrokepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:04 AM   #16 (permalink)

Paid with visa? If so you are A-ok..paid with cash...sucker
Old 08-29-2012, 04:37 AM   #17 (permalink)

You did it for charity right?
Copeskey45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #18 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Is it me or does OP watch Storage Wars and think the numbers they give on that show are real too?

Bottom line? You bought something, you wrongly assumed something (Free Food) and in the end got what you paid for.

Heaven forbid you actually ask about the item before bidding.

It's a charity FFS....I donated a John Hannah Auto's mini helmet for a local Charity. They asked me the value of it. I could give them the Ebay value of it or the Patriots Pro Shop value of it. Same item different venue.

Of course I gave them the Pro Shop value of it.

I didn't see a whiney thread about it anywhere though.

Here is an effort ribbon though...

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more

Last edited by jlzinck; 08-29-2012 at 10:03 AM.
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #19 (permalink)

You ever seen the episode of The Office where Michael donates $25 to Oscars nephews charity ... Then realizes his donation was "per mile" the nephew walked . LoL . All episode he is trying to find a way to take it back without looking like a scumbag ...Reminded immediately of this . Seen it ? If not the moral of the episode is it was for charity . It's probably best to act like "of course I paid $200 for $30 tickets ... It's a charity ."
"Nothing in the world seems more important"
thebrokepoet is offline   Reply With Quote