Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default America (2012) Sucks (Compared to 1960s/1970s)!

So I was watching History Channel's "Failure is Not an Option" docudrama about NASA in the late '60s and early '70s today - quite well done, lots of original footage and contemporary interviews - and it got me to thinking how distant that version of America seems from the one that prevails today. Compare the daring, inspirational, "think big and take risks" approach that got people to the moon and back with today's "me-first," entitlement-demanding, slacker society. It's really pretty amazing when you contemplate it...
"You have to break by the case" Zammos1, 3:16
hairysasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

And before that, the nation united behind destroying the Nazis...

On your topic, it's quite apparent how we've been brainwashed when every time a new NASA mission is successful all the comments are about how "that money could have fixed our education and roads and healthcare!"

Yah right... $400 million, on time and on budget. If NASA didn't have it, some senator would 'lose' it.

So sad.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yea..the internet was awesome back then!!!!

i collect basketball patch cards..
bettydaw1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

well America is in decline if something isn't done.
limitedplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Might have to go back and read one of my favorite books now;

Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

The lack of:

- Pride in one's work
- Respect for others
- Responsibility for one's actions and path (stop blaming others)
- Sound economic leadership (creates economic growth)
- Proper education (the US is lagging the rest of the developed world)
- Logic (capability to use and understand)
- Accountability (from leadership to those who receive entitlements)
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
The lack of:

- Pride in one's work
- Respect for others

Self entitlement to abusurd standards of living. That in my opinion has caused the doom! Not need, but wanting things that you can live without. Including more money!
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Personally . I just miss the polio
"Nothing in the world seems more important"
thebrokepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Self entitlement to abusurd standards of living. That in my opinion has caused the doom! Not need, but wanting things that you can live without. Including more money!
I read an eye-opening article recently related to individuals who lost their job during the recession.

I couldn't find the article, but this one touches on it.

America's Leisure Gap - Businessweek
Old 08-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I read an eye-opening article recently related to individuals who lost their job during the recession.

I couldn't find the article, but this one touches on it.

America's Leisure Gap - Businessweek
From the article..

Quote:
There’s a school of thought that says unemployment is largely voluntary, because people could find work if they didn’t ask for so much money.
I dont know this for a fact but I hard EI in the US can last up to 90+weeks? Is this correct?

The CDN govt changed the rules in order to recieve EI now. They now stipulate that if work can be found (Within your field which they help you find) and it is up to 80% of what you last got paid, it becomes essential for you to accept such a job. To top that off and by pass the excuse the distance is too far, the govt now stipulates that if the job is within 1 hr travel time, then it still acceptable.

They aslo no pro rate your EI length based on prior claims for EI. If you have claimed for EI in the past 6 yrs, your length on EI also comes down by a percentage.

I like these rules. It forces people to get a job and not sit on EI.

------

I also read something about how lack of leisure time and working more hours has also led to an increase in health problems. Working way too many hours just to pay the bills leads to more bills, health bills. People need to bring a balance back to their life. Instead of 3 cars and 7 Tvs with 2 full time jobs, maybe 1 car and 1 tv with a full time job is the way to go!! With weekends off!

Last edited by Orangejello727; 08-29-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #11 (permalink)

I don't know the current terms. It may depend on the state. Both my parents lost their jobs in September 2010. They moved several times chasing interim jobs. They had some unemployment benefits, but most expenses they paid from savings. Currently, both my parents have jobs in different states. It isn't ideal, but that is what they had to do. They live a few hours apart (been so for about two months) and they spend the weekend together.

The article I would like to find shows the relationship between the benefits and the willingness to find work. When the benefits are high enough that it creates a safety net so large that the individual doesn't feel the pressure to find work, then we have a problem. When an individual feels the pressure to meet necessary requirements then they are more likely to seek employment to fulfill those needs.

I don't believe in telling others how to live, but if you are receiving entitlement payments then you should lose some of your rights until you are supporting yourself.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

99 weeks of eligability in Michigan ... insane . 5 weeks shy of two years
"Nothing in the world seems more important"
thebrokepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
That's the American Dream that was codified in the 50s and developed in the 60s and 70s. The idea that every successive generation should have it eaher and better than the last and that your kids have a devine right to live a better life than you did.

At some point striving becomes living, which is great for consumerism but bad for the human spirit.

As wax junkies we know this as well as anyone.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
That's the American Dream that was codified in the 50s and developed in the 60s and 70s. The idea that every successive generation should have it eaher and better than the last and that your kids have a devine right to live a better life than you did.

At some point striving becomes living, which is great for consumerism but bad for the human spirit.

As wax junkies we know this as well as anyone.
The problem with this formula is that it grew much to fast. By doing so, it turned backwards. For the first time in recorded history our previous generation is wealthier than the generation proceeding it. Im sure it has more to do with population and pacing of growth due to special circumstances. But its still something that should not go unnoticed.

Im still searching for this great article I had read about out sourcing of jobs should be blamed on the average citizen. It was a great read. If I find it, ill post it. The jist of the article talked about how the average working stiff became a stock broker to make more money. Instead of savings in bonds and sound investments, the middle class joe decided to step into stocks and high risk investments. Doing so, they became their own bosses. They demanded better ROI, companies they invested into to become lean, trim and more profitable. By doing so, the same companies we invested in found ways to cut costs by sending jobs overseas. This eventually led to downsizing and that same working stiff who invested and forced profit generating ideas for ROI ended up making the decision to outsourcing his own job.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
The lack of:

- Pride in one's work
- Respect for others
Very good list.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
The lack of:

- Pride in one's work
- Respect for others
No one (including me) denies that the development of the internet, or the end to polio, or the like, are beneficial and welcome - this list of missing things is more of what I had in mind in my initial "off the cuff" post.

Homework: when and how did the sense of entitlement to "absurd" material amenities develop as a function of the striving for material gain? (It seems at odds with the hard work ethic that prevailed earlier, no?) And having identified that relationship, what, if anything, can be done to correct it for the future?
"You have to break by the case" Zammos1, 3:16
hairysasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
No one (including me) denies that the development of the internet, or the end to polio, or the like, are beneficial and welcome - this list of missing things is more of what I had in mind in my initial "off the cuff" post.

Homework: when and how did the sense of entitlement to "absurd" material amenities develop as a function of the striving for material gain? (It seems at odds with the hard work ethic that prevailed earlier, no?) And having identified that relationship, what, if anything, can be done to correct it for the future?
I don't see how you can. Along with the insatiable desire for material wealth is a stubborn refusal to even consider that you don't need all of it. Entitlement, and an over inflated sense of self-importance... I'm sure these things were present in abundance in Rome near the end.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

Our best days are in front of us regardless of the outcome of the election. We are still Americans dammit, we don't follow we lead.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #19 (permalink)

Money influencing too many things in the wrong places....and I'll leave it at that.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post

That list was simply me listing off things that popped into my head. If I had some time I could definitely develop it better. As I learn more and more how global business operates I can't watch the news without getting angry. I would not dare to say that 80+% of Americans don't know what they are talking about when it comes to economics, finance, law or political policy.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
Our best days are in front of us regardless of the outcome of the election. We are still Americans dammit, we don't follow we lead.
Unfortunately, we lack leadership and our current political juggernaut won't allow for leadership. Even if the best of the best found his/her way to office he/she would be stuck in political process tape. I know it first hand and it has taken decades off my life. The sytem is beyond a mess. I couldn't even begin to sort it out if I had the opportunity.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

I have no problem with the world today except for people who yearn for the yesterday. Do something and move forward, things change.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
I have no problem with the world today except for people who yearn for the yesterday. Do something and move forward, things change.
Although, we are not talking about the world. There is little doubt the world will continue and parts of it will decline, parts will go on steady as ever, and parts will improve. Which category does the USA fit in?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #24 (permalink)

Too easy to get overheated on this thread, what with all the political implications, so......

who cares, pointless thread is very pointless.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Unfortunately, we lack leadership and our current political juggernaut won't allow for leadership. Even if the best of the best found his/her way to office he/she would be stuck in political process tape. I know it first hand and it has taken decades off my life. The sytem is beyond a mess. I couldn't even begin to sort it out if I had the opportunity.
I hear you. I'll go down swingin though.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote