Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #26 (permalink)

It's gonna take tons of hard work. But one advantage is I have good grades as well. That will be an advantage when it comes to colleges.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubble View Post
How big is your school?
We are a low 5A class, so we are a decent size but no too huge when it comes to sports.

I collect former Alabama football players, and former North Carolina basketball players.
UNCrolltide4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
It's gonna take tons of hard work. But one advantage is I have good grades as well. That will be an advantage when it comes to colleges.
Yeah, I usually get mostly A's also. Maybe I'll play with you in the majors some day. We all can hope, right?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #29 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I played everything from catcher to bench. I had a breaking ball that went from 1 to 7 in a hurry, too bad my fastball was the equivalent of meat; accurate, but missing velocity in the worst way. I had a guy purposely step into a pitch, and start trotting to 1B. My dad (the coach) went out, discussed with the ump, ump agreed, called the batter back, next pitch, struck him out on a 1 to 7 breaking ball. Suck it, B!
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #30 (permalink)

Of course! My dad played semi-pro but threw out his arm. And my grandfather had a short stint with the Cardinals minor league system before he went to Vietnam
Old 08-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCrolltide4 View Post
We are a low 5A class, so we are a decent size but no too huge when it comes to sports.

We are a 4a. But there are several Catholic schools in 4a who are always good. One had a kid who threw 95!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
We are a 4a. But there are several Catholic schools in 4a who are always good. One had a kid who threw 95!
Dayum! My cousins friend throws 98, and he's 19. I believe that he got drafted by the Astros.

Last edited by Homerun; 08-30-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Homerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
We should be 4a but we have just enough students for a 5a. Most kids are too lazy to play sports though.

I collect former Alabama football players, and former North Carolina basketball players.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
We should be 4a but we have just enough students for a 5a. Most kids are too lazy to play sports though.
I know. Pretty much every kid in my school is fat. lol
Old 08-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerun View Post
I know. Pretty much every kid in my school is fat. lol
You are not lien, almost every kid is either fat or just lazy( or tries to act gangster and gets in trouble too much).

Old 08-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerun View Post
Dayum! My cousins friend throws 98, and he's 19. I believe that he got drafted by the Astros.
Our hardest thrower is about 87.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
You are not lien, almost every kid is either fat or just lazy( or tries to act gangster and gets in trouble too much).
Our school is the opposite. Almost no fat kids (10-15), and a majority of guys play sports.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #38 (permalink)

I played my freshman year, but quit after that. My coach ruined baseball. We ran more than the sprinters for track. Rather than focus on the skills of the game, he decided to focus on making us be better conditioned. Let's be real, you don't need to be very good conditioning wise for baseball, look at Vogelbach. I just stick to basketball now, which is nicer because it can be played year round
Also want your Brook Lopez, Mason Plumlee and Deron Williams
yankeesfan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan24 View Post
I played my freshman year, but quit after that. My coach ruined baseball. We ran more than the sprinters for track. Rather than focus on the skills of the game, he decided to focus on making us be better conditioned. Let's be real, you don't need to be very good conditioning wise for baseball, look at Vogelbach. I just stick to basketball now, which is nicer because it can be played year round
We only run a few triangles at the end (home plate to right field foul pole to left field foul pole and back to home plate). Our coach focuses on position work and hitting. And if you want to pitch, you have to go to a 6:00 practice before school. We don't pitch during practice
Old 08-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Our school is the opposite. Almost no fat kids (10-15), and a majority of guys play sports.
My school is the opposite. Probably 30% of the boys in my school play sports.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #41 (permalink)

Probably 30% boys at my school actually plays too

Old 08-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #42 (permalink)

That sounds like a good plan. Practice, practice, practice until you have the confidence that you can throw any pitch at any time for a strike. Good luck!

Quote:
This winter I'm hopefully going to be going to a pitching academy held by Shaun Marcum (Brewers starter). I think it will be focusing on off speed.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1964, 1967-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #43 (permalink)

I've played ball just about my entire life, almost 30 years now. Still playing today in the local men's league. I absolutely love the game. Being Canadian most would assume my favorite sport is hockey, and it is, but baseball is definitely up there, if not moreso than hockey. Just a great game that you can play at any age and still have a blast.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #44 (permalink)

I played CF in HighSchool. Have been playing softball for 10 years since Ive been out
Old 08-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #45 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoCubsWS

I have played baseball all of my life. I just graduated high school and into my first two weeks in college. Anyway, played until Freshman year than our high school was too good for me to contend.

I moved to a smaller school and went out Junior year, played JV due to being blocked and helped as a UT player later on in the season. I was given the starting 2B job to start the year and didn't disappoint, had over a .600 OBP the first week and half of the season, and was making damn good plays at second base.

Skip to two weeks into the season, and I take a fastball off my face, fracturing my nose and facial bones.... I don't think I have ever been so depressed after that. I probably could have been awarded all conference 2B if I played all year, but I didn't turn my head. I finished the year hitting 1-20 and still cannot hit without jumping out.

Also could have pitched if I was needed. Could hit 70ish and had a decent cutter. Mind you I am 5'10, 135 so I never really worked out either so I never reached my full potential...I wish I wasn't so damn lazy.

Last edited by ChicagoCubsWS; 08-30-2012 at 09:31 PM.
ChicagoCubsWS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoCubsWS View Post
I have played baseball all of my life. I just graduated high school and into my first two weeks in college. Anyway, played until Freshman year than our high school was too good for me to contend.

I moved to a smaller school and went out Junior year, played JV due to being blocked and helped as a UT player later on in the season. I was given the starting 2B job to start the year and didn't disappoint, had over a .600 OBP the first week and half of the season, and was making damn good plays at second base.

Skip to two weeks into the season, and I take a fastball off my face, fracturing my nose and facial bones.... I don't think I have ever been so depressed after that. I probably could have been awarded all conference 2B if I played all year, but I didn't turn my head. I finished the year hitting 1-20 and still cannot hit without jumping out.

Also could have pitched if I was needed. Could hit 70ish and had a decent cutter. Mind you I am 5'10, 135 so I never really worked out either so I never reached my full potential...I wish I wasn't so damn lazy.

Sorry about your injury. I was lazy up until a month ago when I realized that I had to work my ass off if I want to get anywhere in life. Whether its baseball, or a job, a good work ethic is something I need to get. I hope it makes a big difference this season.. This year including High school ball, I hit probably 10-15 balls 1 or 2 hoppers to the fence. That is one reason I realized 'Hey, maybe if I had worked all of these years those 1 or 2 hoppers would have been home runs'. Who knows, it could make no difference at all. But I don't think that will be the case.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #47 (permalink)

I played a little college ball. Now pick up games and junk ball is where it's at for me.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #48 (permalink)

Played for about 6 years. Played till 8 grade. High school was all wrestling all year
Was shortstop and pitcher

Also selling drawings, send me a pm for any questions
Braveskid1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
This winter I'm hopefully going to be going to a pitching academy held by Shaun Marcum (Brewers starter). I think it will be focusing on off speed.

Shaun Marcum, as a Brewer fan, has no business holding a "pitching academy"
dherm360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:44 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dherm360 View Post
Shaun Marcum, as a Brewer fan, has no business holding a "pitching academy"
Around here, the pitching coaches aren't good at all. And academy might have been a bad choice of words. It is a one day 'training session'