Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #51 (permalink)
Inactive Account

I played t-ball when I was little, then actual baseball from 3rd-8th grade. I was never very good at it. My two biggest highlights though were a game-winning 2-run triple and in my first ever game on a 60-90 field I pitched to one batter and turned an unassisted double play.
robertr1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:04 AM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerun View Post
That's awesome! How old is he?
He is 10. He works hard at it, he is all about baseball.
mainerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:09 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubble View Post
This winter I'm hopefully going to be going to a pitching academy held by Shaun Marcum (Brewers starter). I think it will be focusing on off speed.
I was a senior when Marcum was a freshman at Southwest Missouri State (now Missouri State). You will learn a lot even though he's had a rough year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan24 View Post
I played my freshman year, but quit after that. My coach ruined baseball. We ran more than the sprinters for track. Rather than focus on the skills of the game, he decided to focus on making us be better conditioned. Let's be real, you don't need to be very good conditioning wise for baseball, look at Vogelbach. I just stick to basketball now, which is nicer because it can be played year round
The better conditioned you are, the less likely it is that you will run out of gas. I don't see how your coach hurt you. Sounds like you didn't like it enough and wussed out.

I played baseball and hockey in high school and had a chance to go play in the Canadiens system, but that was because of family ties more than talent (it was a supreme lack of talent that kept me out of the the NHL). I had a scholarship to pitch baseball and chose co-eds over Northern Canada.

They figured my fastball would get better than 86 because I was 5'11" when I went to college and my younger brother (a real hockey prospect) was 6'5" and I would catch up (the dick still introduces me to people as his little big brother). It didn't happen and instead of gaining velocity I lost velocity on my heater while adding speed to the change up. If I didn't have pin-point location on captain hook I would have been dead, instead I was just in the pen and an occasional late inning defensive sub at 2B as long as I wasn't going to hit (there was a supreme lack of hitting ability as well).

I got to stick around as a mop-up guy because I had my EMT certification and I could drive the van in a pinch. Wouldn't have traded the experience for the world but I'm glad I studied hard.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote