Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Who here played/plays baseball??

I'm not sure if this thread has been made before, but I was just wondering who was a baseball player/still is a player today. What most people don't know about me is I am still in high school. I am a junior this year and I am looking forward to my first varsity season as a starter. Last year I got some playing time but was not the main guy. He was a senior so now I will be taking his spot (left field). This summer for my triple a team, I batted .440 with 12 doubles and 4 triples. I was second batter and played in the outfield. I also pitch. This offseason I am working on strength and a curve ball. I throw semi-hard (high 70's low 80's) but my curveball is $hit. We made it to state last year and we only had one senior. This year is our best shot to win it all. Anyways, just wanted to see who else played/plays. I'd like to hear some stories. I love collecting/watching football but baseball is my sport to play.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

I played travel for one year when I was 10. Our team placed 2nd out of 19. Too bad that all the coaches pick their kids, otherwise I would of made the team again. I probably had 1 error in 40 games.

Last edited by Homerun; 08-30-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Homerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

I pitched and played second base until I was 14 or so. I moved on to manlier sports in high school, like cross country running
Old 08-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndrew View Post
I pitched and played second base until I was 14 or so. I moved on to manlier sports in high school, like cross country running

Haha. I'm more of a sprinter. I suck at the mile. In the 100 meter I can get a high 11. Not good, but not terrible either
Old 08-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubble View Post
Haha. I'm more of a sprinter. I suck at the mile. In the 100 meter I can get a high 11. Not good, but not terrible either
Hey, that's pretty solid for a non-track guy!
Old 08-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm decent at the mile. What do you get? I usually get 9:30-10 ish.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

You need to learn an out pitch if you can't control your curve ball. Circle Change, Knuckleball or a Sinker could do the trick. Also learn how to change speeds on all of your pitches so the batters cannot lock in on your pictures.

Quote:
I'm not sure if this thread has been made before, but I was just wondering who was a baseball player/still is a player today. What most people don't know about me is I am still in high school. I am a junior this year and I am looking forward to my first varsity season as a starter. Last year I got some playing time but was not the main guy. He was a senior so now I will be taking his spot (left field). This summer for my triple a team, I batted .440 with 12 doubles and 4 triples. I was second batter and played in the outfield. I also pitch. This offseason I am working on strength and a curve ball. I throw semi-hard (high 70's low 80's) but my curveball is $hit. We made it to state last year and we only had one senior. This year is our best shot to win it all. Anyways, just wanted to see who else played/plays. I'd like to hear some stories. I love collecting/watching football but baseball is my sport to play.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerun View Post
I'm decent at the mile. What do you get? I usually get 9:30-10 ish.
My fastest mile is like 6:45. Usually around 7
Old 08-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
You need to learn an out pitch if you can't control your curve ball. Circle Change, Knuckleball or a Sinker could do the trick. Also learn how to change speeds on all of your pitches so the batters cannot lock in on your pictures.

This winter I'm hopefully going to be going to a pitching academy held by Shaun Marcum (Brewers starter). I think it will be focusing on off speed.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
My fastest mile is like 6:45. Usually around 7
Dang. I'm younger than you though. 6:45 is really good.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Join the cross country team so you can run 6:05 pace over 13.1 miles like me
Old 08-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

I play Left field and pitch for my highschool. I dont play just left field though, my coach plays me anywhere but catcher. I hit for around a .500 batting average in my last year in Babe Ruth league( the best I have ever hit). Looking forward to a winning season at my school this year, lol. We havent had a winning season in at least 7 years!

I collect former Alabama football players, and former North Carolina basketball players.
UNCrolltide4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

I played baseball all the way till college. My senior year in high school, I was off to a killer season. Then one game, the pitcher missed the plate by 6 '5" and I took one off the left eye. It shattered my eye socket completely. I never fully recovered and blew any chance I had at a scholarship. I did walk on at a DII school here in San Antonio out of about 100trying out. Didn't get an inning of playing time so I spoke with the coach and he agreed that it was best to leave the team and concentrate on school. It's not like they were hurting without me because the starting 1B set an NCAA DII record for HR's that season. He eventually got drafted by the Reds in 15th or 16th round..... they also won the National Championship that year too !
slugger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugger22 View Post
I played baseball all the way till college. My senior year in high school, I was off to a killer season. Then one game, the pitcher missed the plate by 6 '5" and I took one off the left eye. It shattered my eye socket completely. I never fully recovered and blew any chance I had at a scholarship. I did walk on at a DII school here in San Antonio out of about 100trying out. Didn't get an inning of playing time so I spoke with the coach and he agreed that it was best to leave the team and concentrate on school. It's not like they were hurting without me because the starting 1B set an NCAA DII record for HR's that season. He eventually got drafted by the Reds in 15th or 16th round..... they also won the National Championship that year too !
Wow, that's terrible. I'm sorry about that injury.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugger22 View Post
That's awesome.. Except for the injury obviously. My dream is to play college baseball DI and get drafted. Right now I'm focusing one step at a time. I have a really good hitting coach which is a huge advantage
Old 08-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCrolltide4 View Post
I play Left field and pitch for my highschool. I dont play just left field though, my coach plays me anywhere but catcher. I hit for around a .500 batting average in my last year in Babe Ruth league( the best I have ever hit). Looking forward to a winning season at my school this year, lol. We havent had a winning season in at least 7 years!
How big is your school?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndrew View Post
Join the cross country team so you can run 6:05 pace over 13.1 miles like me
No way in hell. Haha
Old 08-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #18 (permalink)

Pitched for a few years in little league. Threw a knuckle-curve for a while, although slowed it down too much that it got clobbered once the ages moved up a group. Went 4 IP and 11 Ks in the first game one year, and 3 perfect innings in the later rounds of a playoff game.
Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
mnvikingstwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #19 (permalink)

I played tee ball for a couple games when I was in kindergarten. That was the most boring sport I've ever played. Went straight to hockey after that.
MI Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #20 (permalink)

That's cool. I've really been blessed with a Dad who pushes me to be good. Until recently, I have succeeded purely on natural talent. For the past month now I have been pushing myself in weights and conditioning to make myself better. If I didn't have him helping me, there is no way I would be doing it now.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
That's cool. I've really been blessed with a Dad who pushes me to be good. Until recently, I have succeeded purely on natural talent. For the past month now I have been pushing myself in weights and conditioning to make myself better. If I didn't have him helping me, there is no way I would be doing it now.
That'd be awesome if you could get drafted. Good luck!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #22 (permalink)

I actually started running because I got cut from the baseball team.

It worked for me. my best mile was only a 4:50 but that was in practice, I never raced a mile after my sophomore year in hs. I always ran the longest event of the day, 3200m in hs, 3k/5k/10k in college.

Ran 10 miles in under 56 minutes twice. Used to train at 6:30-7:00 pace.

Anyway, the ballplayer in my house is my son. He's made the local all stars team the past 3 years. This year he pitched 4 shutout innings against one of the powerhouse teams (then they lost the 6 run lead and the game due to errors in the 6th). He isnt a big kid at all, usually one of the smallest on the team but he throws as hard as anyone else (if the other kids listen to the coaches and figure out how to actually use their legs, they will probably surpass him).

mainerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainerunr View Post
I actually started running because I got cut from the baseball team.

It worked for me. my best mile was only a 4:50 but that was in practice, I never raced a mile after my sophomore year in hs. I always ran the longest event of the day, 3200m in hs, 3k/5k/10k in college.

Ran 10 miles in under 56 minutes twice. Used to train at 6:30-7:00 pace.

Anyway, the ballplayer in my house is my son. He's made the local all stars team the past 3 years. This year he pitched 4 shutout innings against one of the powerhouse teams (then they lost the 6 run lead and the game due to errors in the 6th). He isnt a big kid at all, usually one of the smallest on the team but he throws as hard as anyone else (if the other kids listen to the coaches and figure out how to actually use their legs, they will probably surpass him).

That's awesome! How old is he?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerun View Post
That'd be awesome if you could get drafted. Good luck!
If that happens, I'll be the best ttm signer out there!! Haha
Old 08-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
If that happens, I'll be the best ttm signer out there!! Haha
Yeah, I'll send some of your cards to you. You better personalize them!