Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2
Default 2013 - the Dawg is back :)

If your curious on the title - just do a search for me and puppy and you should see my previous other threads.

bad news is that Bailey (my Weimaraner) is now almost 12 (next week) and really showing her age so she's likely on fun trips only when she wont be expected to work but just enjoy the day and hang out with us.

Today was out Early Season Goose Opener. Hunted with one guy I knew and we opted to join with another group in the field so we wouldnt compete against each other. Turned out to be a pretty good morning for us I'd say. 12 birds total with 4 of them being very long retrieves for both dog and owner (they were well out of distance and when they get to that point I wont just send the dog solo hard enough for them to hear and/or use hand signs but to combine and still want the dog to get the bird and not get frustrated not worth it). Longest effort we put it was over 1/2 mile to go find the wounded bird then get back to the group and await the next folly.

And to think I've got 14 more days available to do this - to bad I'll likely end up being a power weekend hunter for this season.

But love this photo showing our effort. Zues just looks so happy showing off his work (had a video of him doing a retrieve but my heavy breathing is so bad from running to the back of the field to try and recover a pair of crippled birds.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Great story! Have fun hunting!
theautographkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

that's awesome. what do you use to shoot?

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

12 Gauge Charles Daly 3 1/2 Semi w/ #2's (patternmaster choke tube) yesterday amd today. Come regular season if just goose hunting Ill bust out the Browning BPS 10 gauge w/ 3 1/2" BB's
Old 09-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

She looks proud as a peacock!
BostonNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
He looks proud as a peacock!
Fixed for you Wasnt happy today that he was left home. But not much I could do. Not my hunt and not my field. Might get a chance tomorrow, but will have to see what Brandi says.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Is there a number as to how many you can kill at once? I was always curious about that.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Would love to see a picture of the Weimer.....have two myself.
SacGWYNN19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thats a good looking dog. He is mighty proud of himself. Good pic!
Oilngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Dumb question, but do you eat the Geese? I know people eat duck, but not sure about Geese. I've never really understood the enjoyment of hunting and killing animals, but to each his own. Don't get me wrong, I love eating Steak, Burgers, chicken, Ribs, etc. But I don't think I could actually kill an animal and eat it.
jr24ai3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieDively View Post
Is there a number as to how many you can kill at once? I was always curious about that.
Personal record is 5.5 with one shot - broke a wing on "5.5." However legal limit is 5 per day in our early season or late season. Regular season is 2 per day (possession limit is typically 2x the legal limit). Went over my limit, thankfully I did have someone with me. Technically we can't party hunt in Michigan so in all honestly I was illegal with the one shot. Best shot I've ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24ai3 View Post
Dumb question, but do you eat the Geese? I know people eat duck, but not sure about Geese. I've never really understood the enjoyment of hunting and killing animals, but to each his own. Don't get me wrong, I love eating Steak, Burgers, chicken, Ribs, etc. But I don't think I could actually kill an animal and eat it.
Yep. Hopefully this doesnt offend anyone but I'll give full detail on this as I really hate the whole wanton waste idea - short version I kill it, I grill it. I take more of the bird than most I know - but here's my breakdown:

I breast out the birds taking both the main breast and the tenderloin. These I turn into everything from cooking them normal (like a steak or chicken breast), to slicing thin for Fajitas (mixing with onion and/or green peppers). Haven t tried grounding it yet but know that day is coming (actually want to try a goose burger). I know some guys take the ground meat and make sausage/brats with them as well (mixing with pork as the meat does dry out).

I also take the leg quarters - these get turned into either soup (love mixing this with say rice and other goodies - similar to say chicken and rice. My personal favorite is making Pulled Goose BBQ with this. Same procedure (par boil the meat then hand shred it) - instead of continuing to make a soup - just add a diced onion and BBQ sauce to a crock pot and then once its hot your ready to eat

Livers are harvested - these go to either "Scooby Snacks (I dehydrate them) or have friends that love liver patte. Same friends if they're doing dog training they get the wings (these not only tend to be a bit bigger than say a duck, but rolled are about the right size to train with).

Dogs get the heart. Nothing but protein here. My crew also gets the lower part of the leg. Probably not the best idea here, but they seem to keep it down and my thought process here is more of the bird is used and they seem to enjoy the crunch - not sure its quite like a rawhide - but whom I to judge them - since in most cases they brought me back the bird and this is an acceptable reward - works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacGWYNN19 View Post
Would love to see a picture of the Weimer.....have two myself.
These are a little older (2009 - but some of the better action ones I have). She's small (right now all of about 58 lbs), but actually big enough to bring me back a goose (on land if needed but she'll work to do it). Hell on wheels to find cripples, but just not big enough to really handle normal rivers flows. Also a "blue", might be a poor mans Weim but I'll take my baby girl every day of the week. In her prime would knock the socks off most grays I know (and if they'd hadnt finally allowed blues to complete once she was 8, I'd have a master hunter title on her but much to my amazement some 12 years ago i found out about color qualifiers regardless of she was AKC'd papered or not - but lets not go there

Old 09-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

lucky you, its only elk season right now here , still a lil over a month before i get to break out the ol BPS

Riddle: I do no wrong when I am called out I talk smack than run to a moderator when you hurt my feelings...who am I?
texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Now this is what I call a busy day...Did some Pheasant Hunting this morning (handled both Bailey and Zues for the Tower Hunt)...then tried a new spot for Goose hunting tonight with a buddy.

Sad part with this photo - really shows Baileys age. She's always been first. First to every bird, leads both going to the field and back. She's pretty much given up that role. Thankfully she's been a great mentor to Zues.

Zues trying to cool off. Both dogs did pretty well today receiving pheasants. between both dogs likely did about 30-40 retrieves (total of 200 birds released and had 6 sets of handlers so very happy with these numbers)

Now onto tonight... Very slow - didnt see many birds and well I guess if you work hard you should be able to sleep easily...

Well someone willingly work up from his nap when we had a double come in. They both stayed..heres Zues doing the 2nd retrieve. Wish I'd of had the full thing video'd as it was perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu2Tu...ature=youtu.be

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fu2Tu6Ztvtk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

Baily last Saturday after she got my one and only goose. I'll gladly share my coat if she's willing to jump in and go get my bird. Least I could do.