Blowout Cards Forums
2014 holiday shipping promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Golfers: What is a good set of irons?

I have not really been playing too much golf over the last couple of years and have gotten back into the game. When I played regularly I carried a 9 handicap. I still have e set of 845 silver scotts, so I know I am given up some performance/distance to the new technology. I am looking to get back to single digits. Any suggestions from the golfers?
The_Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Are you looking for just a new set of irons, or new driver and fairway woods/hybrids too?? What's your price range?
kgcom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgcom21 View Post
Are you looking for just a new set of irons, or new driver and fairway woods/hybrids too?? What's your price range?
I am looking for a set under 1,000 really and I have been looking at various top models from 2011 and 2012, game improvement irons. Driver like the look of the taylor made, but do not want to look down at the club and think I am hitting a mallet. Irons need to be pleasing to the eye, no off-set irons for sure.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Most GI irons will have an offset. I'm currently playing Mizuno MX-19s and when I buy a new set of irons, they will be Mizunos. They have the greatest feeling when hit flush. pure butter

Getting fitted for new clubs will be a good idea if you can still stay within your price range. At least go demo them at a store prior to just purchasing new clubs.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

I wouldn't go Nike if I were you. I've found they're poorly made and tend to wear out quicker. And Nike drivers, don't get me started.

I found Callaway irons to be pretty good. I've had a set of x-20's for about 2 years and they're still working today. I imagine they still make them just as well.

As for drivers, I've used Adams Speedline for the past couple years and have found no problems whatsoever. If you're like me, and don't want to spend $500+ on a driver, Adams is a nice, cheaper ($200-250) yet still effective alternative.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Rob View Post
Most GI irons will have an offset. I'm currently playing Mizuno MX-19s and when I buy a new set of irons, they will be Mizunos. They have the greatest feeling when hit flush. pure butter

Getting fitted for new clubs will be a good idea if you can still stay within your price range. At least go demo them at a store prior to just purchasing new clubs.
when I say offset I am talking about those clubs that have so much offset they look strange. I definitely will have them fitted.

Like the look of the Adams/Taylormade and Callaway currently. Always wanted a set of Ping, and they have GI set
Old 09-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

I love my cobra irons, got them like 5 years ago, believe they are FP-9's. Go with Cleveland wedges, best in the game, I've played them for about 15 years and currently have a 56 and 60 reg 588's, the classics, but I'm not sure they still make that model. Then have a HiBore 2and 3 hybrid and 3 wood, with a Taylor Made R9 driver.

But for me, I love my putter(s), I have 3, a Odessy black hot #9? (the one Phil used when he first won the masters), a Scotty Cameron Red X, but haven't used either since I got my baby, my Scotty Cameron California Del Mar, oh that thing is a work of art.

If you couldn't tell, I love talking about my bag, especially my putters, hahaha
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

I will probably go with the R9 for sure. I hit my current driver about 265 on average and usually am only about 10 yards short of playing partners currently. I probably will sell off some NAtional treasures stuff to purchase, so my card hobby will pay for an upgrade to my golf hobby.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

845's!! Classic. Those clubs have held up very well--

I have an ancient set of Ping Eye twos that I play. A teaching pro and guy I coach against cant say enough about mizuno irons. My son has a set of Titlest AP twos from last year that I love---

Get fitted and dont buy new is my only advice. The AP's my son has were $250--probably close to a grand last year---

Now wedges--super partial to Vokeys

good luck

fidrych
shadetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

I have Cobra somethings. The 6 and 7 are like fairway metals which i dont like but I pretty much got paid to upgrade my irons. Ive always liked Callaway irons myself. The rest of my clubs besides the Cobra 6-PW are all Pings. I use hybrids for my 3,4,and 5.
BroncosFAN#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

I just borrow the one the Putt-Putt place provides. Seems to do the trick. The bright orange ball is the way to go.
fullmetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to harryhudini

There are a ton of things you need to factor when getting a new set with the main question being what is your swing speed. This will determine what kind of irons you need to get (forged, 1/2 cavity, full cavity, blades (if you are really good lol)). Plus, it will help determine what shafts to use for those irons. Whatever you do, dont fall for that bullcrap non steel bs they try and push onto you. I am a 3 handicap and have 4 sets of irons all pretty much in the same range. I have a fast swing speed so I go with the offsets. Here are my 4 sets if you want to reference:

1. Cobra AMP forged - Stiff (option for regular but didnt fit for me)
2. Cobra S3 Pro - Stiff - Only come in the stiff flex
3. Nike VR Pro - Stiff - Got them as a gift but dont play them much
4. Mizuno JPX-800 - Stiff - Good club...never get used...may sell them

What about your driver? Do you already have one or do you need to find a new one as well because I am going to a demo this week and can get some feedback for you if you like.
harryhudini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:

Thats funny I was just gonna say talk to Rob, he a golfer.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

any advice on driver as well...putt with an odessey first generation might go to a 2 ball mallet style, but putter not essential
Old 09-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

I love my Cleveland cg7's. Great investment
hxcdavidjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Reverend View Post
any advice on driver as well...putt with an odessey first generation might go to a 2 ball mallet style, but putter not essential
I had an oversized killer whale that I absolutely loved as a driver. It was slightly too long for me though, so my good shots were few and far between. But man, when I got a true shot, it was a thing of beauty as it bombed its way down the fairway.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Reverend View Post
I've bought a few Nike drivers and regret it. I always return to Taylormade, they are the #1 driver in golf for a reason. I'm currently hitting the Burner Superfast 2.0.

Finding the right putter has been tough for myself. I currently game an Odyssey 2-ball and it hasn't been very friendly this season and I've been playing 3 times a week I've been looking around lately for some to go on sale so I can stop at Golfsmith and try a few out. Good luck!

Last edited by MI Rob; 09-17-2012 at 07:05 PM.
MI Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Mizuno MX-19's are the way to go. They are a few years old so you could get them pretty cheap.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #19 (permalink)

Ping I20's. Forgiveness but a set you can build on as your game gets back into shape. The thing you gotta do coming back into the game, get fit for your new irons. Make sure the lie is correct and the length. Also never assume your shaft flex. When I played in Junior Golf, Varsity H.S. and then some mini tour events I played a softer flex. Generally a standard Stiff or in my last set. Titleist AP1's I had a premium shaft in a Regular flex. I felt I had a smoother release with a softer flex. Golf you play what works. Not "I'm a Mans man and I play stiff flex" get it fit and see your launch angles and how you spray it on mis hits with each flex as well.

Kevin
Old 09-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

plan on a fitting session this week. Probably Thursday.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevJo View Post
Ping I20's. Forgiveness but a set you can build on as your game gets back into shape. The thing you gotta do coming back into the game, get fit for your new irons. Make sure the lie is correct and the length. Also never assume your shaft flex. When I played in Junior Golf, Varsity H.S. and then some mini tour events I played a softer flex. Generally a standard Stiff or in my last set. Titleist AP1's I had a premium shaft in a Regular flex. I felt I had a smoother release with a softer flex. Golf you play what works. Not "I'm a Mans man and I play stiff flex" get it fit and see your launch angles and how you spray it on mis hits with each flex as well.

Kevin
Quoted for truth.
Ego grabs ahold of golfers far too easy. I also play a regular flex.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #22 (permalink)

if anyone needs golf balls please pm me . i have sold to board members before .just check my i trader reviews .
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
I've bought a few Nike drivers and regret it. I always return to Taylormade, they are the #1 driver in golf for a reason. I'm currently hitting the Burner Superfast 2.0.

Finding the right putter has been tough for myself. I currently game an Odyssey 2-ball and it hasn't been very friendly this season and I've been playing 3 times a week I've been looking around lately for some to go on sale so I can stop at Golfsmith and try a few out. Good luck!
i had (clubs got stolen last year ) a really nice left-handed ping putter. My game is all right handed except for putting. I just feel more comfortable on that side of the ball on the green.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarka3 View Post
i had (clubs got stolen last year ) a really nice left-handed ping putter. My game is all right handed except for putting. I just feel more comfortable on that side of the ball on the green.
Well that's something I've never seen before lol, very unique. Whatever works best! Im left handed but play hockey, golf, tennis, etc as a righty. I've tried a buddies left handed driver but it felt awkward.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

Im going to switch over to the new Mizuno coming out this fall (MP-H4). I really like the feel of them. I use a Wiliams Qualifier set at the moment which were hand me downs from my father. Being a lefty I usually find a ton of great deals during the off season sell offs.

Im a

Left in golf
Right in hockey
Left in tennis
mostly left in baseball but can switch hit and throw.

Ive tried hitting right handed clubs. Felt uncomfy, but Im able to do it with literally no power. But ive got better precision on my right and more power on my left side. Im messed up

Last edited by Orangejello727; 09-19-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote